My Cat Is A Pain In the Feline!

brotha j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey All!

My family has recently aquired a 7-year-old female cat, Jasmine.
(updated picture)
We've had her about 3 months now. I have had trouble finding out what breed she is, but she's orangy-greyish-stripety.

(sorry to be so technical up there
)

Since day one, she's been a real handful. Now, I've had about 15-20 cats at one time or another. So I am aware of mostly all of the feline "idiosincracies".

However, this cat has tested the upper limits of my cat loving nature. Jasmine is my wife's 1st cat, and she hates this cat now!

The only saving grace is that Jasmine is really good around our 3-year-old daughter, Jamy
Here is what Jasmine does to drive my wife and I to drink:

1. I've purchased EVERY sinlge available soft food for her and she has protested them all.

2. She runs from us whenever we are on two feet.

3. She incessantly mews like we never feed her.
4. She only stops crying when one of us sits down on the couch, or recliner, so that she can sit on our lap; which for some reason is a production in and of itself. When we do sit down and invite Jasmine onto our lap she'll mew liike a crazy cat for a few minutes before jumping up- no matter how gentle the invite.

We are nearly to the point of getting rid of her.

But first, we are going to bring in another cat for her to play with. We got rescued her from a hoe which had about 10 cats. So we figure maybe Jasmine needs a playmate.

Anybody have any ideas on what to do?

Brotha J!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. sounds like you got a tough one on your hands
Well good luck!
Yeah, getting another cat might help your cat not be lonely... and there's a 50\\50 chance it will help with other behavioral problems. But with some cats it takes them awhile to get "adjusted" to the new place. Also did you get her from a "hoe" or a "home"????

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, put yourself in Jasmines position for a while?. She's been in a house with other cats, she's been moved into a complete strangers house with so many new surroundings. It sounds like she's scared when you say she's running from you.

Bless your heart for taking this girl in, but i think if you all persevere with her, and that includes your wife she will settle. If your wifes showing that she hates her Jasmine will pick up on this as well

Do you play with her and give her treats?. I'd say another cat would be great company as well.

Oh and she's gorgeous btw. She looks a proper little diva!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brotha j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OOPS!
"hoe"
I better call a press conference and get in front of this before Al Sharpton's cat supplier rings my doorbell.

My fellow Americans, I fully regret saying "hoe" refering to...

...I have disgraced my people...

...I meant to say "home".

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I want to say that both cat an kid are very cute! With out a better picture I'd say that Jasmine if a domestic short hair tabby. Not sure about color. Most cats (espically strays and domestics) aren't of a specific breed.

As for her "issues" since she came from such a large cat family and she runs when you stand I wonder if she wasn't chased alot or something. Soft food, while good for a cat isn't essential. Plenty of cats live long healthy lives on dry food only. If your really concerned about it you could try a raw diet (which I don't know much about) or try plain cooked meats like chicken or fish. The crying and mewing may just be part of her parsonality. Some cats are VERY vocal. Wickett, my baby boy, acts the same way when it comes to lap time. He'll sit there and stare at you mewing. You'll invite him to cuddle and he'll spend another few minutes mewing and staring before coming for love. He also has an aversion to actually laying ON us unless we're under blankets.

I think another kitty is a good idea... perhaps she's just bored or lonely for kitty company. But, I have to ask.. what will happen to them both if another cat doesn't help?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brotha J;1711027 said:
OOPS!
"hoe"
I better call a press conference and get in front of this before Al Sharpton's cat supplier rings my doorbell.

That was freaking hysterical!!!! Thanks for the laugh.

Ok, on to the not so funny part. Your cat defiantly has some issues. I wonder if her behavior about food stems from having to compete with the other cats. Perhaps she's not the alpha-type and learned to plead and cry for her food rather than barreling her way in. If my guess is right then her behavior will take some time to change. Be sure to leave dry food out 24-7 for her (you probably already do) and try some canned food that's super-amazing. Forget Fancy Feast and pick up some tuna. Give her the juice too as the scent can stimulate them to eat. Hopefully, if she's full she'll quit meowing.

The lap thing is strange. It really sounds to me as if the previous home created a highly stressed environment for her and she developed these behaviors as a coping mechanism. Is there a treat that she likes that she can have when she's in your lap? I'd certainly try rewarding her for whenever she jumps up.

A couple of other ideas are to give her some catnip. This diversion can often help a stressed cat relax. (Well, they can't drink, so...) Also, try a product called Feliway. I love that stuff. I could be extremely helpful in relaxing your cat and helping her learn that your home is a cool place.

Finally, another cat probably will go a long way but (again, if my guesses about her previous home are right) select a calm adult who won't bully her. I might try a male as sometimes females aren't as tolerant as other females. (I know I'll hear about that!
)

Please keep us posted on what happens!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get rid of her so quickly... really. Now, I'm no expert, but I've had my share of cats like this... in fact my two still do it sometimes.

First of all, she sounds like a sweet, loving cat who just wants your attention. The vocalizing and wanting on your lap are merely cries for attention. She wants LOVE!! My guess is none of your previous cats were like this... (or you didn't have an only cat)

Secondly, she is still getting used to your family. running from you while you're standing/walking is typical (at least around here) for SOME cats, esp. during an adjustment period. I would suggest getting down on the floor and playing with her, giving her some attention while down on HER level...

I don't know how long she was in the rescue, but she got used to other cats... a larger cat to human ratio... now she's the only cat with all these REALLY BIG two-legged beings wandering around... of course she's a little freaked.

You already answered your own question: Get another cat. I'd go back to that rescue and ask if they still have someone she got along with... if she had a napmate/playmate who's still there, she'll probably still recognize that buddy, and she'll calm down... she'll still want attention from you... but she'll have stuff to do with the other cat.

As for food: where are you getting the food? Maybe she only likes dry? Call the rescue and ASK them what they fed her. I volunteer at my local shelter, and we get in cats who just don't like wet food (I had a couple yesterday who just didn't touch the wet we gave them). Or ALL they eat is wet. If they're older cats, like your Jasmine, they've gotten a little set in their ways. I'd find out what she ate there and go with that type of food. Now, if the ygave her the feline equivalent of junk food (Whiskas and such) then I'd upgrade her to a high end food. if she only likes dry, then you lucked out... wet is more $$$ than a bag of dry, even more than the good stuff. One of my cats' faves is Avoderm Dry. it's good for their coat and such... if you aren't already, go to places like Petsmart and Petco, or your smaller boutique pet supply places.

Call the rescue about companions and what food she preferred there... if they had her a while, they can answer those questions for you. She sounds like a normal, loving cat who appreciates you giving her a home. Now, if she trounces across your bed every hour, on the hour, every night, THAT's reason to drive you to drink... not loving behavior. (although, I'd lock her out of the bedroom first... before the drinking... although I'd still do a drink or two to help me sleep first
)

brotha j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It sounds like she's scared when you say she's running from you.
But I have "catrisma".
All cats love me.
I can get cats to approach me that won't approach ANY stranger.
So it makes sense that Jasmine would run from missus, but not from me.

Jasmine has been with us long enough to have gotten over that freaky-scary period. Besides, when I'm laying on the floor, or on my knees on the floor, or sitting down at the computer replying to posts on thecatsite.com
Jasmine has no problem approaching.

By the way, my wife shows no anymosity towards Jasmine. She still lets her cuddle up on her lap, and she still pets her and scratches her chin.

So now what?

Do we have her vocal cords removed?

Oh relax!
I wouldn't do that.
My wife is a teacher, she needs her voice to work.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she had trouble in her old home. Just to give you an idea of timeline, when we got Puppy, he wouldn't be on the bed at the same time as us, and forget about cuddling or picking him up.

It's been a over a year, and now he snuggles on the bed. This is a recent event in the last month. It was really slow going, especially the first 6 months or so. Be patient. The meowing thing might not go away, some cats are just more vocal than others. However, you might be able to get her to stop having incidents where she feels the need to meow.

Another cat might help, but get a neutered male. She might be a queen kitty that won't accept other females.

And I second Feliway. We just moved, and that stuff is amazing.

Also, check here for a really good selection of food: www.petfooddirect.com. Online stores usually have more selection than local stores.

brotha j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Secondly, she is still getting used to your family. running from you while you're standing/walking is typical (at least around here) for SOME cats, esp. during an adjustment period. I would suggest getting down on the floor and playing with her, giving her some attention while down on HER level...
Yes, I do get down on the floor with her on a regular basis.

I don't know how long she was in the rescue, but she got used to other cats... a larger cat to human ratio... now she's the only cat with all these REALLY BIG two-legged beings wandering around... of course she's a little freaked.
Good point! But she wasn't in the rescue for very long. I forgot about this until now, before the rescue home she was an only cat to a sickly male who spent most of his time sitting in his favorite chair. So understand her behavior to an extent, but she is not changing.

I'd go back to that rescue and ask if they still have someone she got along with... if she had a napmate/playmate who's still there, she'll probably still recognize that buddy, and she'll calm down... she'll still want attention from you... but she'll have stuff to do with the other cat.
I called her a few days ago, no luck.

Call the rescue about...what food she preferred there.
At the rescue she ate whatever was served: wet, dry, or soft. I've been wanting to try a bag of Purina 1, but I want to avoid having to go through the cycle again.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I third the Feliway thing...

And assuming three months is enough time? Nope... it took me MONTHS (read: more than three) to get JoJo to relax. She was in a large cat-room with 40 other cats for five of her first 11 months... she was NOT used to the low cat-to-human ratio. Even now, after over four years, she still runs occasionally, but the halls are narrow (and made narrower by bookcases and such) and sometimes she does freak and run a bit (although usually she only runs when I have hit a body part on something and am cursing up a storm). It took me months to get her to not bolt from my lap if I shifted a toe. Now I have to push her off, literally!

Get some feliway, catnip, etc... and call the rescue... about the food and a companion. I agree with ther others: males tend to be a way to go when bringing a second cat in for a female, but if the rescue says that her best buddy is still there and is a FEMALE, then, by all means, bring that girl home. Kepe them separated for a bit, following the guidelines here about introducing a new cat (even if they were best buds at the rescue). Also, a younger cat, male or female, could help... someone not quite so set in her ways as an old girl is.

A.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brotha J

Yes, I do get down on the floor with her on a regular basis.

Good point! But she wasn't in the rescue for very long. I forgot about this until now, before the rescue home she was an only cat to a sickly male who spent most of his time sitting in his favorite chair. So understand her behavior to an extent, but she is not changing.

I called her a few days ago, no luck.

At the rescue she ate whatever was served: wet, dry, or soft. I've been wanting to try a bag of Purina 1, but I avoid having to go through the cycle again.
Okay... here's something I started with my two when they weren't eating their wet food. Assuming you're free-feeding dry 24/7, stop doing that. Depending on when you put the wet down (morning? evening?), put a smaller amount of dry down a little after (ex: wet in the morning? put dry down an hour or two later). Basically, I feed my two hellions wet in the morning and evening, then put a small amount (less than a cup, since they don't eat a full cup overnight) of dry down about an hour or so after the evening feed. I mix two brands of dry food together, hence no pickiness. Also, wet food I buy the smaller cans and I buy a few of each brand/flavor. I rotate them so they ever get the same one two days in a row. Also, no pickiness. Do I spoil them rotten? Oh heck yeah. They are my kids. Spoiled to the cores of their furry little bodies.

Better quality food, and not free feeding the dry 24/7. Unless you switch her to dry only, then yes, by all means... free-feed. When I switched to this method, Jack gained weight (he was under for so long), and JoJo has maintained (although I'd like her to lose a bit).

With switching dry foods, I have found that if I mix two foods, I can switch one out each time without any backlash...

Since her previous non-rescue home was with only a male, I can see why she's hesitant toward your wife... she's not used to human females so much... who puts the wet food down? the dry? gives her treats? maybe your wife can start doing some of that, if she isn't already, and that can help reinforce her role with Jasmine, help them bond.

Again, she sounds (and looks, since seeing the pictures) like a total sweetheart. Try some things, give each attempt some time. And get her a feline roommate... it worked for JoJo (although he's now trying to assert Alpha status on her... and she's Alpha! make for some interesting times around here... must get more Feliway!!!).

Amanda

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, welcome!!
Both your girls, Jamy and Jasmine, are beautiful!

I don't have much to add to what others here have said. It is okay if she only wants dry food. It says a lot that she is good with Jamy, that is invaluable.

She could simply be a vocal diva. Some cats announce their every thought and believe we should listen - of course, we should
Do you talk back to her when she is telling you all the things she believes you need to know?

But three months out of a 7 year life isn't realy that long. It is rather like adopting a child whose history you aren't sure of. She had the anxiety of leaving her long-time home (cats HATE change), then the rescue and now with you. She is going to be a bit set in her ways and some cats are simply more stubborn than others. I admire that being a bit inclined to stubbornness myself

If you have had her checked by a vet and she is healthy, it may just be time that she needs.

Another cat may help, but be sure to introduce them slowly, there are threads here on TCS on how to do that.

I sounds like you are doing most everything right, playing with her, feeding her and loving her. The Feliway is good stuff if you can get it. It helps to calm. There are also herbal remedies for stress you can try (for her, not you
).

I understand it is tough going right now but sometimes the most trying of pets (and kids) can have the largest impact on our hearts. Please keep us updated on Jasmine!