What can I send my nan in hospital?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My nan's in hospital in Australia, and has been there for over 2 weeks now, and they still can't really figure out what's wrong with her, but she's now contracted shingles and has mouth ulcers so isn't eating which is making her weaker, so they're keeping her there for at least a while.

Apparently her spirits are getting quite low. The shingles or whatever it is (there's still debate...) is on her eye which is swollen shut, and her face which has nasty looking lesions, so she's very embarrassed about her appearance.

Any ideas on what I could send her? She's 85, and doesn't have a lot of energy, so it needs to be something that can take her mind off things, but she easily put down again when she needs to.

Thanks

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd send her a special teddy bear, maybe do a Build-A-Bear Workshop bear online (or at their store if you have one close).

That's what I did for my aunt when her Parkinson's had her hosptialized semi-longterm.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it has to go through customs unless you lace an order with a shop there I would make it something simple to lift her spirits that won't get stuck in customs.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a musical card of some kind, something that she can hear if she is having problems with her eyes. I think there may be a line of recordable cards out there that you could use to send her a private message just from you. That would problably go a long way to cheering her up.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the books-on-tape idea!

And also... if she's like my mom, she's uncomfortable with those dratted hospital gowns, and cold, too... so howbout a really pretty bedjacket to wear over the gown?

And maybe a pretty little basket or cache box sort of thing filled with little niceties... like travel-size handcreams and colognes and a little mirror and some hypoallergenic lipgloss in a soft color... and if she's able to see well enough to write, some pretty post-it notes and a pen, maybe a little daily journal with a theme she likes -- kittens, perhaps?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mom likes to print the funny/teaful e-mail forwards she gets and mail them to my Grandma. My Grandma enjoys them and they are short pick me up reads ya know? Would something like that maybe brighten her spirits a bit?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How about a movie? You know, something really lighthearted and fun to watch. My Grandma was just in the hospital too, and I sent her a whole bunch of books (because she likes to read) and the movie Little Miss Sunshine, which she loved. I've never seen it myself but a few people recommended it for her. I thought it was a good idea because she could just lay there and watch it (or listen to it if she can't see too well) and it wouldn't take too much effort to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all the hints everyone! I'll have to go shopping tonight....

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I second the books-on-tape idea!

And also... if she's like my mom, she's uncomfortable with those dratted hospital gowns, and cold, too... so howbout a really pretty bedjacket to wear over the gown?

And maybe a pretty little basket or cache box sort of thing filled with little niceties... like travel-size handcreams and colognes and a little mirror and some hypoallergenic lipgloss in a soft color... and if she's able to see well enough to write, some pretty post-it notes and a pen, maybe a little daily journal with a theme she likes -- kittens, perhaps?
I think this is a GREAT idea! She'd probably really like a special little basket like that.

Thanks again!