Pets-People Sensors

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does your pets let you know if they like or dislike somebody? Even if the other person owns pets? (you would think if they owned pets they would be nice people)

But, animals and pets always sense something about a person, something that we do not know and they know.

I had one cat that really disliked two members of my family and I KNOW THERE was a reason, so if my cat disliked them, THEN I DID TOO. I was social but kept my distance.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it is so true-experienced this with my parrot mango and actually yesterday with my cat.I was interviewing future kitten parents with kittens and mum and my neighbour came round.Im fine with her but she is very agressive etc.Anyway the cat who is totally chilled and was happy with the strangers freaked and ran off with one of the kittens.As soon as neighbour left,she bought it back-ahhhh!!!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's not so much, but my dogs are very selective about who they will become friendly to..I can only have certain people come in while I am away to care for them, otherwise there may be trouble. Most of my cats hide when someone new comes in for awhile, but will then warm up to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When these episodes happen, I WONDER, what do they know that I DON'T know????

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

(you would think if they owned pets they would be nice people)
Except this isn't anywhere close to true. It'd be nice if it was but sadly I think for as many good, faithful, loving pet owners there are as many abusive, uninterested, negligent owner.

Anyway, my cats are pretty impartial about other people for with one exception I can think of. Before I got Wickett I had this friend who seemed to be anice enough guy but deep down he was pretty shady and messed up. Well, I guess Frankie new from the moment she met him (and I've never seen her do this before or since). As soon as he walked in the door she arched up, hair on end everywhere and began hissing and growling at him. Like an idiot he tried to pet her in this state and she swatted and bit at him. I never had him over after that soley because of her reaction to him.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard for me to judge, by my crew. Opie is pretty much antisocial, with everybody, Rowdy thinks EVERYONE comes just to pet her and Buddy will strike poses, in order to be admired. My dogs like anyone that they're introduced to. Of course, I don't hang out with or date anyone, who doesn't like animals and I'm sure the critters recognize these people.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that Radar dislikes anyone - he usually goes 'WAHAAY, new people to hunt and torture'...

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike and Oz have never met a person they didn't like, or who didn't immediately like them back. That may be because we only allow our close friends and family into our apartment (and therefore, access to our cats), or it might just be because both of them are total attention-whores and our visitors are suckers.

If either of them was to ever react negatively towards a person, I'd be seriously concerned about that person. It just doesn't happen. My guys adore everyone. (And why not? Humans only exist to worship cats.
)

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine have never had a strong negative reaction to anyone, but if they did I'd trust their completely judgement, no matter if my previous experiences with the person were very positive. Also I tend to mistrust people who don't like animals. I don't care if someone doesn't like cats particularly (to each their own, after all) but if someone doesn't like ANY kind of animal I get a bit suspicious. Seems unnatural to me somehow.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realized back in my dating days that my pets were MUCH better judges of character than I was.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just because a cat or dog doesnt like someone doesnt meen they are a bad person or that there is something wrong with them. Yeah they may be but it doesnt always meen that.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krazycatlover

just because a cat or dog doesnt like someone doesnt meen they are a bad person or that there is something wrong with them. Yeah they may be but it doesnt always meen that.
I think that's an important point. It could be that they are wearing a perfume or shaving lotion that your cat finds unpleasant, or that they come complete with their own (undetectable to the human nose) set of dog or kitty scents from their own pets or recent encounters with other people's pets.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Mine have never had a strong negative reaction to anyone, but if they did I'd trust their completely judgement, no matter if my previous experiences with the person were very positive. Also I tend to mistrust people who don't like animals. I don't care if someone doesn't like cats particularly (to each their own, after all) but if someone doesn't like ANY kind of animal I get a bit suspicious. Seems unnatural to me somehow.
My thoughts exactly, except in my little world they have to like cats too or they are not at the top of my list.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I think that's an important point. It could be that they are wearing a perfume or shaving lotion that your cat finds unpleasant, or that they come complete with their own (undetectable to the human nose) set of dog or kitty scents from their own pets or recent encounters with other people's pets.
I think it's more than scents that turn off cats, although scents are a big part of a cat's thinking; I think a cat can see into the human SOUL and knows things we owners do not know about other people. I trust a cat 100% regarding this issue.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

I think it's more than scents that turn off cats, although scents are a big part of a cat's thinking; I think a cat can see into the human SOUL and knows things we owners do not know about other people. I trust a cat 100% regarding this issue.
I quite like that way of thinking as I have been to people's homes as a guest and been told that the cat is not friendly and ended up not 3 minutes later with it curled in my lap purring while everyone looks on aghast at how friendly the 'unapproachable one' is being with me. So I'm not going to disagree