Anyone ever see the Up series?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom told me a few weeks ago to check out a series of documentaries called the Up series. It follows 14 children from age 7 to age 49. They are interviewed every seven years to see where they are in life. I've watched the first two and I'm hooked. All other Netflicks have been pushed to the bottom of the line.

Anyone else have an opinion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_series

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Is this the BBC version where one of them ended up homeless?
I'm not sure, I've only watched them at 7 and 14. The next installment is 21.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep thats the one- I didn't think Americans had much of an understanding of class (and the struggle thereof) but this series is all about how someone's class status in life effects them from birth onwards. Very interesting documentary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Yep thats the one- I didn't think Americans had much of an understanding of class (and the struggle thereof) but this series is all about how someone's class status in life effects them from birth onwards. Very interesting documentary.
Class struggles hit close to home for me. My husband is a first generation son of an immigrant from Germany. He fought for his education by serving in the military (they paid for most of it), and by working a full time job in college. The kids he went to school with are either in jail or drug addicted. He is one of the few success stories of his neighborhood.