so many homeless cats - what to do?

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you do there are so many homeless cats? I already have four cats and I cannot take anymore at this point. Yet I have 3 cats now hanging out outside my house.

What happened was I thought my old cat the went missing had come home so I put out food. Turns out it's not him but it's a cat that looks just like him - a young female. So I've been feeding her and plan on trapping her in the next few days to get her neutered. What do I do after that? Socialize her and then how do I find her a home? What about all these other cats? In my neighbourhood there's got to be at least 30 homeless cats. Now that I've been putting out food they've made their way from the dumpster to my backyard. It's kind of stressing me out a bit. My health is very bad so I don't know realistically how much I can do to help them.

Any ideas?

-writegirl

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As to the young female looking alike the missing cat you saved. My advice for you is to see her as a gift given you instead of the one you miss. She may even be his grandchild, probably is.

As to the others all 30? If you cant manage in any way - the solution is "easy": dont give them food any more, so they wont come in such groups and get back to the city dump...
Contend yourself with those individuals naturally living near... It is more than well enough!
You can very seldom help them all, you know. But you can always help someone.

Best would be if you can get cooperation with a good TNR group and or shelter. This would be the trick, to do everything you hope to do...
Or try to build up a group on your own. It is hard to do everything alone, good health or not. But together with some others! Much easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stefan. I'm planning on trapping the black and white one tomorrow. I will also contact the TNR program in my area about the other cats.

~writergirl

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNR is probably the best thing you can do for these guys - after all, who knows how many cats there will be in the area a few years from now if mommy cats keep getting pregnant and giving birth?

You might also ask your TNR group or some shelters or look online and see if there's anyone who works with homeless/feral cats in your area. At my university, we have a group who's whole purpose is to feed and care for the feral cats on campus. Maybe you have something like that in your area?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

You might also ask your TNR group or some shelters or look online and see if there's anyone who works with homeless/feral cats in your area. At my university, we have a group who's whole purpose is to feed and care for the feral cats on campus. Maybe you have something like that in your area?
A way is also to ask at message boards around the town:
"Anyone who wants to join and help homeless cats?" or something similiar.

If there is a already a group, they will probably contact you. And also other interested, so you can start to build up a group if this is your wish.

I think.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am mom of many because I was in the same situation as you. For many years I would trap them, get them neutered, try to socialize them and adopt them out. My household is so large because those that couldn't get adopted out stayed with me.

I hit my cat limit and finally reached out for help. I could afford the TNR part, but there were feral cats that could easily be socialized and I would prefer for a cat to find a home over being returned outside. I found a no-kill shelter that not only helped with the TNR, but was an outlet for me to adopt the cats. I volunteered for them, and my social ferals were adopted thru them. Everyone won. The drawback was that my house became a revolving door for a while. The good part was that I stopped the pregnancies in my area.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Momofmany, thank you for your service!

writergirl, I think most of us know how you feel about all the strays. I am glad you are going to help the little girl stray, that is really a great thing you are doing. If you don't have the ability to care for her, I hope you can get her into a rescue or foster care arrangement.