Uh oh...

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Leave it to men to screw it up.

I'm not home tonight, and left Matt with simple instructions to feed the cats. Easy. Wait until the meat is fully thawed, split into two portions. Feed and supervise.

Well apparently the cats were getting hungry before the food was thawed, and Matt saw that there was a little left in another bag in the fridge, so decided to let them eat that to tide them over until their real dinner was ready. It wasn't much, only one oz of food each. Buddy wolfed it down, Nya refused. This is when Matt phoned me to ask if it was a problem that Nya wasn't eating. The REASON she didn't want the food he'd given her, is because it has been thawed in the fridge for over 5 days, and has probably gone off. I wasn't planning on feeding it and was going to throw it out when the garbage was going outside. It was a pre-made turkey raw (with veggies etc). Do you think there's a problem that Buddy ate an ounce of bad meat? I'm slightly worried, especially since I'm not home to check up on him.

I'm always so careful with their food, treating their meat like I would my own, cleaning up properly, and not feeding them anything that may be off. I know there's little risk of illness from FRESH meat, but what about if it's gone or going bad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No comments? Well I guess I'll just keep an eye on him now that I'm home.

He seems fine today, as far as I can tell. Is there anything specific I should look for?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if he didn't vomit anything up, he should be just fine.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he'll be OK, especially since you haven't seen a problem with him as of yet.

I think some cats are more sensitive than others...but I think their super sensitive noses do save them from some trouble. I had some pork chops in the fridge last week. I meant to wrap them separately and put them in the freezer but I forgot. Well I remembered when they were 2 days past the date. Junior always bugs the &$(% out of me about meat like that. Well I unwrapped them, they didn't smell bad to me...but Junior sniffed them and walked away. So I threw them out.

I'm not sure what I mean by all that...other than I think Buddy narrowly escaped trouble, but escaped nonetheless. One day later, Buddy might have turned it down too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He should be fine ... as the digestive systems of a cat can handle "slightly off " meat

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys

Originally Posted by sharky

He should be fine ... as the digestive systems of a cat can handle "slightly off " meat
Ya, I know they can handle some bacteria, but how much isn't sure, and since I didn't know *how* bad this meat was, I figured better ask around

If Buddy were a dog, I wouldn't be concerned in the least, I know they've got guts of steel, but I think the amount of bacteria a cat can handle is less than a dog...

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think, as it is just a one off, your cat should be fine
but if there are any signs of illness I think you should be concerned but other than that I expect your cat is gonna be ok

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leave it to men...first to feed it to them and second to eat it....

Nya was smart enough to not eat it, need I say more?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how did Buddy do?

I didn't answer because, I was on the fence. I know they can handle bacteria just not how much. Since Nya didn't eat it I thought it might be a little more on the bad side.....or maybe not!

BTW I do the same thing with "bad" meat products. Thank goodness there is no one else here to accidentally feed it.

that the news on Buddy is good.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, Buddy seems to be just fine! Not even a sign of loose poop in the litterbox, so I think it's safe to say now he's not sick!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Thanks everyone, Buddy seems to be just fine! Not even a sign of loose poop in the litterbox, so I think it's safe to say now he's not sick!!
See Buddy will tell you if it is too icky to eat... FYI I have some raw thawed for six days at a time ...

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

See Buddy will tell you if it is too icky to eat... FYI I have some raw thawed for six days at a time ...
Really? I guess I'm just super careful... I don't use it if it's been there more than 3 days, just like my own meat (I'm more than cautious with my own meats!)
Good to know I can lighten it up a little, at least when it comes to the cats

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Really? I guess I'm just super careful... I don't use it if it's been there more than 3 days, just like my own meat (I'm more than cautious with my own meats!)
Good to know I can lighten it up a little, at least when it comes to the cats
Normally I only Have it out for 3-4 days .... Vet said 5-6 is the most and to check it