Help Choosing New Food

G

ghostuser

Hello everyone. I just found this place while trying to get information on cat foods, so I thought maybe you all could help me.

My cat, Chase, is 12 years old. He has no teeth, and as a result he has become very picky about the textures of food he will eat. He has been eating Nutro Max cat cans, with the chunks cut up a bit, for awhile now, but since I just found out it was added to the recall list today, I obviously need something else. He really does not do well with the mush or loaf (or whatever you call it) type of food. It seems like all the cat foods I look into that are of better quality are of that type, though.

I tried Merrick cans, but he does not really like them. I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what the textures are of other cans, as most the web sites do not show pictures of the food. I will likely need to order whatever I end up getting through work or my dog's trainer's shop, so I really can't just go buy a bunch of things to find out.

So... does anyone have any suggestions of non-loaf type canned foods I could try for my boy? Thanks to anyone that can help.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that Fromm Family foods are more of a shredded texture, as are by Nature Organics. Have you tried adding some water to the loaf style foods? That may make it easier to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
G

ghostuser

I didn't know Fromm made a cat food, I may have to look into that one.

The problem with the loaf foods is that he ends up shoving it all down into the bottom/sides of the bowl where he can no longer get at it. If I put it on a plate, he just ends up shoving it all off the plate and getting annoyed at it and leaving it.

And the silly thing absolutely refuses to eat food that has been refrigerated, regardless of whether it's been heated up afterward or not. So any time I can only find the larger cans, I end up wasting half. The joys of having a picky cat.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cloud_Shade has some good suggestions.

This is a stretch...but my girl that has a very strong preference for chunky food has decided that she loves Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea. It's a loaf type food, and it seems a bit drier than most ...but she loves it. I make her a pile of little bites of the NB food and she picks up the bites like chunks. It may not work for every cat...but she was a tough case and that food was the answer. If your cat is longing for gravy...that one won't work, though.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Twitch has no teeth, so I understand the frustration!

Foods that seem to do well with Twitch:
Sheba's new tins(not complete, so cannot be all the diet)
Meow Mix wet
Evangers(specifically the chunks)
Fancy Feast(wheat fluten free ones)

That's about it. Some pate styles have more gravy to them. I am the crazy cat lady standing in the store shaking all the cans to hear how "soupy" they are.

Also....try feeding food on a human plate. It doesn't get smushed in the corners. But...keep a placemat under the plate because food will be everywhere!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Also....try feeding food on a human plate. It doesn't get smushed in the corners. But...keep a placemat under the plate because food will be everywhere!
Yeah, I forgot about that...thanks!! My Leopold has only his front teeth. He does scoot the food to the edges too. I have to watch him and move it back into a pile for him, that seems to help. Thankfully he's ok with ground/loaf stuff, though.

G

ghostuser

Gravy doesn't really matter. In fact, too much gravy can tempt him into licking that up and ignoring the food, lol. I guess I'll be heading up to the trainer's tomorrow and seeing how quickly she can order me some stuff to try out, and Petsmart to return the ton of Nutro cans I just bought a couple days ago. I guess I can pick up some Fancy Feast or Meow Mix or something while there to tide him over..

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evanger's is also a bit drier, so it might be another thing to try. Also, have you tried chopping up the pate into bite sized pieces? If the problem is just that he's pushing it off the plate, the making the chunks small enough for him to get his mouth around may help.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MeowMix Selects are more like shredded meat with gravy -- my cat really likes it although they don't seem to give you much meat in the container.

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat seems to REALLY like the Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea canned also. I don't feed it to her too often though, because I know from experience that she'll get sick of it. I've been trying to find trends in ingredients, and she seems to be losing interest in any seafood, and she's never been a big fan of chicken. I don't know if this is typical, but she seems to favor things like lamb, beef, venison, duck, and turkey.

My cat is also one of the ones who REFUSES to eat canned food after it has been refrigerated (I've tried nuking it and adding warm water, but she snubs it). This is the first cat I've had who was SOOOOO picky about food.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just found another food my finicky chunky food eater will eat...Wysong chicken stew. They also make a beef stew. He'll also eat Tiki food but I don't want to feed him too much fish.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

Just found another food my finicky chunky food eater will eat...Wysong chicken stew. They also make a beef stew. He'll also eat Tiki food but I don't want to feed him too much fish.
Please check the dates on replys // the last one was 6 months ago

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know, I just wanted to share and didn't want to start another thread. I'd also like to know if there're other healthy chunky foods out there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

chunks of meat, not loaf.
okay some actaully want no gravy

meow mix

sheba

merricks

evangers

fancy feast some

nutro 3oz cans minus veal pate

wellness pouches

pate but very moist

wellness

wysong au jus ( I dont use other s do to ingrediants)

eagle pack

G

ghostuser

Originally Posted by sharky

nutro 3oz cans minus veal pate
Are those actually back out in some places...? Haven't seen them anywhere yet..

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Eagle Pack yet, how's the quality, it's really cheap compared to most. Are all the flavors chunky?

Which evanger's are you referring to?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Are those actually back out in some places...? Haven't seen them anywhere yet..
Yes many of the stores here have all back

I haven't tried Eagle Pack yet, how's the quality, it's really cheap compared to most. Are all the flavors chunky?

Which evanger's are you referring to?
evangers has some that say with gravey( ie mackeral and gravy)

Eagle pack wet is good quality ... lots of veggies is a small drawback