Digital Camera Recommendations anyone?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to try and take pictures of the my "children" yesturday, and the camera turned on, but wouldn't do anything else! I even bought brand new batteries today, and it STILL didn't work.

I have all the materials for making a kitty scrap book, but I need a ton more pictures to do it. We also want one for vacations, etc.

Do you have any recommendations??? What do you use???

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought one about an hour ago from Newegg.com (highly recommend that site for anything they sell).

I read and read about cameras and such and finally settled on this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120043

For me optical zoom is more important than mega pixels after I learned that anything more than 3 mega pixels will serve my purpose. I will let you know what I think after I get it. The camera got great reviews, and I've heard good things about Cannon.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should add, I finally decided to buy a camera myself because I don't even have good enough cat pictures for a siggy, and I'm taking a trip!!! Woot!

I've used Olympus cameras before and have only good things to say about them. I also like Sony, but I've felt you can get more for your money with Olympus.

After using a professional Nikon camera for photographing my foster babies last year, I am so worried that nothing will live up to that one. It was amazing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

this is what i have http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14108

did you check with mfg of your camera or look at there web page for trouble shooting issues?
Yeah, we did. The lens pops out of the camera when you turn it on, and we couldn't get it to go back in the last time. The camera is 5 years old. I think it just died completely. It's time for an upgrade anyway.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here is the one we recently got its good and we heard nothing but good stuff on olympus but the review someone gave is completely wrong for the battery life, we got one battery and it last so long, and it doesnt take long at all to charge
people these days! It lasts me so long, iva only had to charge it once or twice since we got it and that was at the begining of march! I love it ecs for natural light pics!

but here is the link to dell were we actually got it from
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0726029

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just bought a Lumix Z5.... it's awesome!! It's got a good zoom, (6 x I believe) and different settings. It's great for going on trips and just snapping pictures. However, it doesn't really allow for manual control -- so if you are in the market for that -- don't get this one.

I got to play with the Rebel XT when I was interning and that too is an amazing camera. The lens it comes with isn't great for all professional photography situations, but it works fine for most pictures. I used a different version of the lens it came with and a telephoto and got great results.

My lumix ran $150 and the Rebel at this point is around $800 - although you can find it cheaper online.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

I just bought one about an hour ago from Newegg.com (highly recommend that site for anything they sell).

I read and read about cameras and such and finally settled on this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120043

For me optical zoom is more important than mega pixels after I learned that anything more than 3 mega pixels will serve my purpose. I will let you know what I think after I get it. The camera got great reviews, and I've heard good things about Cannon.
This is my camera! I bought it in October as a gift for myself for having survived Bell's Palsy during the summer
. I love it! Sometimes I wish I had bought something more compact but I love the features. It is almost too much camera for me since I don't understand many of the functions but I figure I'll have fun learning. All the photos I've posted on TCS are taken with it. Hope you enjoy it
Oh, and I bought mine from Amazon.

EDIT: you got a much better deal though! I paid around $350 with only the little 16MB card.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

This is my camera! I bought it in October as a gift for myself for having survived Bell's Palsy during the summer
. I love it! Sometimes I wish I had bought something more compact but I love the features. It is almost too much camera for me since I don't understand many of the functions but I figure I'll have fun learning. All the photos I've posted on TCS are taken with it. Hope you enjoy it
Oh, and I bought mine from Amazon.

EDIT: you got a much better deal though! I paid around $350 with only the little 16MB card.
I'm so glad to hear that it is good. My main reservation about it was it's size, but it had everything I was looking for. I'm gonna read the manual on my flight if I don't get through it before then.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you plan on taking up photography for a serious hobby or for a living, you can buy a cheapie camera and it will do more than an adequate job.

I just recently got a Kodak EasyShare C533. It has all kinds of functions including the ability to record video and zoom. The card that comes with it allows me to take only 5 or 7 pictures (full sized, uncropped). But you can crop them right on the camera and you can take more. I can purchase an additional card that will allow me to take more pictures before the disk is full, but what I have suits me fine for the time being. Plus it comes with software for processing your photos with all kinds of options for editing.

The best part is that it was something like $49.00.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like sony, nikkon and cannon. And remember you get what you pay for. Cheaper end camera's never take that great of pics.