Why does he dig?

hlane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently, my cat has started to dig at my comforter, especially when I'm under the covers. He's not scratching, its a digging thing, and he does it repeatedly. When I'm under the covers, trying to sleep, he'll dig where I'm laying, and when he plays with toys, he digs like a dog, trying to dig a hole to put his toy in. What's he doing?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a cat thing.

But are you sure it's not kneading? Cats seem to find comfort in kneading.

lazylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It must be a cat thing. My two cats do the same thing. Lately they have been doing it while at their food dish. Hope all is well with the cats after all this bad food stuff.

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup me too by the food bowl. We moved it out of the kitchen because we got an ant invasion, so now Rusty paws at the carpet after he eats. My other kitty Chloe does the same but on blankets. I have read that they are just putting thier scent on it so they can "claim" it when laying down. Who knows.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my Somalis like to dig in blankets. I have no idea why they do this.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

Both of my Somalis like to dig in blankets. I have no idea why they do this.
what you call digging sounds like they are kneading which is someting cats do,Mine like to get on my stomach and do it. It like others have said, they find comfort in doing it.

as for the digging by the food bowel that is a different action cats will try to bury there food. mine do it also tyring to hide form the other of course it does not do much good on a wood floor.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

what you call digging sounds like they are kneading
It is not kneading. It is digging. It is when they are playing and it is fast digging just like what a dog does in the dirt. Somalis use their paws alot like monkeys and raccoons so I thought maybe that had something to do with it.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few diggers. I think they do it to 'make a bed' or personalize it or something. Sometimes they really get into it, too, to the point I really hope there isn't a previous digger already nestled inside the blanket that they're beating the heck out of!

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't quote the source but I learned some where that the digging action is instinctal response. The wild cats dig to cover up their feces/urine, or their food when they're finished so that predators can't find them "covering their tracks". They also dig to get any bugs out of their sleeping area when it's time to make a bed at night. When my cat does this at the food bowl it take it to mean either "I'm done for the night" or "This stuff is garbage" depending on how much of it she's eaten. However I've seen her come back to that same bowl ten minutes later and eat!!! Cats!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually don't pay too much attention, but I noticed Tomas digging the blankets aside, sticking his toy under them, then acting like the toy was hiding. His own little game I guess.

I have had both cats try to dig me out from under the covers. In Tomas's case it's because he wants at me and won't let the blanket stop him. Sho did it because I was under the blanket making noises at him
he thought I was playing or maybe he wanted to make sure I was OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hlane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'm glad to know that my cat isn't crazy!

It's definitely not kneading, he usually only does that on my jeans (must be the feel of the denim). He digs like he's hopped up on Speed. And he usually only digs at my feet - maybe its because they move a lot?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

It is not kneading. It is digging. It is when they are playing and it is fast digging just like what a dog does in the dirt. Somalis use their paws alot like monkeys and raccoons so I thought maybe that had something to do with it.
Mosi does it too. Usually in the mornings when I'm awake but still in bed and he's getting a bit hyper. He'll dig the duvet beside me. It's definitely not kneading. At first I thought he was going to pee on the duvet but he never has so I've stopped worrying that's what it is. I've never seen Jaffa do it. I'm glad to hear other cats do it and Mosi isn't an oddball!

myfurbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty likes to dig at the covers when I'm in bed, too. It's usually when she's trying to get comfortable by my legs or when she wants to get under them to be next to me. :)