Nutro/recalled food update...4-10

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, my friends, Nutro's Max Cat Gourmet Classics, in 3-ounce cans, Lamb & Turkey Cutlets, California Chicken Supreme and Chicken Cacciatore all tested positive for melamine at the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System at the University of California Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

These foods are not (yet) on the recall list.

http://www.marinij.com/ci_5630208?source=rss

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
.... I will hold comment until the FDA lab give some findings.. Since so far no TWO tests have yeilded the same results ...

pamalajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics has tested positive for melamine. I have a concern about any food produced by Menu Foods. I will not trust any food they produce unless a lab has tested it for melanine. I urge anyone still feeding wet produced by Menu Foods to read this article.

http://www.marinij.com/ci_5630208

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so glad i stopped feeding all foods with wheat gluten when the recall hit. we had a couple chicken cacciatore cans, but i returned them in that first or second week.

i really wonder if the contamination why my cats suddenly stopped liking nutro gourmet cans.
i had bought some after a 3-4 month period of not feeding nutro gourmet, and they didn't want any of them. even flavors i knew they liked.

either way, i've lost all faith in nutro's products.

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

i'm so glad i stopped feeding all foods with wheat gluten when the recall hit. we had a couple chicken cacciatore cans, but i returned them in that first or second week.

i really wonder if the contamination why my cats suddenly stopped liking nutro gourmet cans.
i had bought some after a 3-4 month period of not feeding nutro gourmet, and they didn't want any of them. even flavors i knew they liked.

either way, i've lost all faith in nutro's products.
I was wondering the same thing. I feed my cat a variety of wet food, and I gave her Nutro Natural Choice ouches 4-5 times a week. I can't remember when exactly she stopped eating them, but I think it was probably in January. She would lick the gravy out of the bowl and leave the chunks. I started buying only a couple a week since it was a good way to make sure she got all of her lactulose, but I still brought her to the vet since I'm paranoid. I'm glad she was only getting a couple packets a week. My parents were feeding both of their cats 2 Iams pouches each daily. One of them did end up having renal problems and sadly passed on. From what I can recall, she was only about a year old.

I don't know about Nutro anymore though. My cat's a very picky eater, but she ate the Nutro Natural Choice Senior dry food with no problem for a year. Then when they changed their formula to a "smaller kibble size," she had no interest. Plus, I noticed it smelled different. I had to stop feeding it to her, and it's been quite a task trying to find a dry food that she'll actually eat. She gets mostly wet food, but I like to put dry food out for her too since she seems to like to eat on her own schedule.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pamalajane

Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics has tested positive for melamine. I have a concern about any food produced by Menu Foods. I will not trust any food they produce unless a lab has tested it for melanine. I urge anyone still feeding wet produced by Menu Foods to read this article.

http://www.marinij.com/ci_5630208
I think an important thing to note is that the food mentioned (Nutro Gourmet) contains wheat gluten...so IF it is contaminated, then it's not really a big shock to me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had hoped none of the Gourmet Classics cans would end up listed or suspected.

Back in early January both Tomas and Sho had bad diarrhea after they had two cans of Nutro (one was Chicken Supreme, the other a can of kitten wet) and a couple of cans of Blue Spa.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats who really liked Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys suddenly stopped eating it about a month ago. It's not on the recall list but it does contain wheat gluten. I wonder if more foods will keep being added to that list.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

One of my cats who really liked Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys suddenly stopped eating it about a month ago. It's not on the recall list but it does contain wheat gluten. I wonder if more foods will keep being added to that list.
There's no way of knowing at this point. Let's hope not.

As far as cats simply not eating a food they previously loved all of a sudden, that seems to be a common occurrence. Usually they'll go back to eating it after it has been discontinued for several weeks (even up to three or four months). It's supposedly an inborn survival mechanism to encourage cats not to concentrate solely on one type of prey, just in case that prey becomes unavailable.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

It's supposedly an inborn survival mechanism to encourage cats not to concentrate solely on one type of prey, just in case that prey becomes unavailable.
That's interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quietly, with zero announcements, both Petco and Petsmart employees have been instructed (at least in some areas, mine included), to pull these Nutro products off the shelves.

No one I spoke to could (or would) tell me who originated these instructions, but whether the retail chains are doing it on their own or Nutro requested a "behind the scenes" recall, Nutro's course of action is despicable. They should be in FRONT of this revelation, communicating with their customers to ensure maximum pet safety, not hiding yet another source of tainted food (potential OR confirmed!). What happened to their "abundance of caution"?

When will this end?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is likely a Chain thing as many stores are pulling all WHEAT gluten products... Right Now we still have labs saying its rat posion and other s saying plastic ... I am not beleiveing either... as it is likely both plus

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

As far as cats simply not eating a food they previously loved all of a sudden, that seems to be a common occurrence. Usually they'll go back to eating it after it has been discontinued for several weeks (even up to three or four months). It's supposedly an inborn survival mechanism to encourage cats not to concentrate solely on one type of prey, just in case that prey becomes unavailable.
Thanks that explains a lot.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

When will this end?
Unfortunately...it isn't likely to end soon. After it does end....the question is when does the next one start?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just called Nutros 800 number and was TOLD SOME of the 3 oz not all have been recalled thou the list of recalled is not listed yet..

Basically if it has WHEAT gluten Please dont feed it

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why can't everyone just have all the info out in the open. nutro does not seem to be helping much....

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is sooo frustrating. I am also pretty much done with Nutro as a company. I had returned all my pouches and held on to the cans with the understanding that they weren't made in the same plant. I had been holding on to them in case this happened. Now I'm waiting for them to recall the 6oz cans too...UGH

At least PetSmart made the returns process easy (the first time anyway).

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

This is sooo frustrating. I am also pretty much done with Nutro as a company. I had returned all my pouches and held on to the cans with the understanding that they weren't made in the same plant. I had been holding on to them in case this happened. Now I'm waiting for them to recall the 6oz cans too...UGH

At least PetSmart made the returns process easy (the first time anyway).
I understand your concerns...however I really doubt any 5.5oz Nutro cans will be recalled, as none of them contain wheat gluten.