The best snackie?

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

Since I don't feed Rusty or Chloe wet food, I do have to 'give' them something in the morning so they will leave me alone. I normally buy cheapie snacks like whiskas or pounce, but since this whole new list of recalled things I am now going to change to another brand. Can anyone tell me what snacks are ok?

I bought wellness dry to try it out on them (not made with wheat) and I have been slowly adding that to their Nutro to ween them. They are now used to the flavor and won't deal with my handing wellness out as a snackie.

thank you!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys' most very favorite treat is Wildside Salmon. It's just freeze-dried pieces of salmon, so there's no wheat gluten or anything else to worry about.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a big fan of treats with no grains, just a protein and nothing else.

These include the Wildside Salmon already recommended to you, the Grandma Lucy's line of treats (they purchase for human quality products, have their own kitchen and packaging plant)..they offer for cats, roasted chicken, freeze-dried tuna, mahi mahi, chicken liver, ocean white fish, and under their Bella Lucy line - lobster.

Another excellent line is the Whole Life Pet Treats line - also human grade, all but their beef (which is from argentina) is us raised - they offer turkey, chicken, cod, salmon, beef liver cubes.

Then there is Rosie's Rewards - thin strips of beef jerky - from usda inspected range fed beef, and mom and pop business who do all the packaging themselves.

There are more like this out there

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Shredded cheese
A much loved treat, but causes loose poopies in my house.

I started giving dried chicken filets to Ginger as an alternative for the filler-laden treats, and she LOVES them. Plus she has no choice but to chew on them (I break them into small bits) so that stimulates her gums to help keep her teeth healthy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? cheese usually does the opposite - if they have loose stools a slice of cheese most times cures it.

Anyway, Charlie loves to nibble on Keno's treats (Keno only eats the soft kind).

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

My boys' most very favorite treat is Wildside Salmon. It's just freeze-dried pieces of salmon, so there's no wheat gluten or anything else to worry about.
I was just going to post this
My guys LOVE Wildside Salmon and its completely natural so I dont worry about giving them one or two a day. I get mine from Pat & Alix actually.. and I'm out so I need to get more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I am going to check that one out!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great thread!!!! I had recently dumped out all of our treats as well because they were eithor recalled or made by companies involved with the recall and i didn't want to chance it. Do ya'll know who makes wildside treats? I will have to pick some up for my furbabies!
can you buy them at petstores like Petco and Petsmart?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i picked up some Petgold Crab Surimi and some other brand that was just dried Alaskan Whiting at petco yesterday. raven about went crazy. he's probably at home trying to get into the treat jars while i'm at work today.
we also have bonito tuna flakes. i'm going to get to the feed store this weekend and see if they have Halo Liv-a-littles. i think stimpy might like those.

i stopped feeding them their FF gourmet gold treats, and stimpy is not happy. but i'm not trusting any of those companies right now.
it has corn gluten in it, and i'm not feeding any wheat or corn glutens at this point.
i'm probably being overly paranoid, but oh well.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten my Wildside Salmon from Pat & Alix, too. (In fact, the first time I ordered I had bought some different cat treats. She sent the Wildside Salmon as a sample. My cats wouldn't eat the treats I bought, but almost tore through the box trying to get at the sample.
)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard (but never tried) brewers yeast tablets. Good and good for them. I use Purina Deli Slices in chicken flavor.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cats love Wildside Salmon, they also love Catswell Vitakitty chicken breast strips
The store that we get their food at carries both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brewer's Yeast is a favorite of my mom's as well as the Bonito flakes! The yeast tablets look plain and kinda big, but they sure go for it! I think it used to deflect fleas from jumping into the fur.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew that Brewers Yeast could be given to cats as a treat!
For real? If it is good for them, how good? What is the benefit, anyone know?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I never knew that Brewers Yeast could be given to cats as a treat!
For real? If it is good for them, how good? What is the benefit, anyone know?
I have something about it in a book at home. If I remember I'll dig it out tonight and post what I find tomorrow.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread. I actually went out and bought WildSide Salmon treats for my two kitties last night. Pico pretty much eats anything and everything. Merlynn will give anything a try, but will not usually go for the second round when it comes to treats. I tried those freeze-dried shrimp and they were okay. The freeze-dried anchovies, not so much. They won't even touch 'em.

But those WildSide Salmon treats! Oh man!!

I brushed their teeth last night and gave them one of these afterward and they were going nuts looking for the bag. They wouldn't even get out of the bathroom!

So this morning, when they ran into the bathroom, I broke down and gave them each 2 pieces. They LOVE THIS STUFF! Thanks for the posts.

I was able to buy it at a local store where I purchase their cat food. It's a small premium food store that only sells the highest quality food, treats, harnesses, feeding bowls and other things like that.

Good luck with finding a good treat.