Questions about Fish oil.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lately Bindi only eats his raw natures varity chicken and turkey if I put tuna water from the can on it after thawing it out. I heard tuna juice can lead to vitamen e issues is there another canned supermarket fish that I can use to get him eating raw again?
. Tried green cow tripe and it led Tom to throwing up, plus it smelled nasty,

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but I believe there's a difference between fish oil, fish, and fishy water...in regards to the various benefits and/or negative effects.

I would advise avoiding excessive amounts of FISH, but I don't think there is harm in using a bit of tuna WATER...to "dress" the raw. I don't think kitty would suffer the ill effects of actual fish, from consuming what is essentially tuna flavored water. Of course, the tuna water is somewhat high in sodium I think, but that the only real issue I know of with the tuna water. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

I have made "gravy" by adding water to meat baby food (the "stage 2" kind, check ingredients to make sure it's just meat, no onions). That might be an option.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is one for a VET ... Fish oil needs to be carefully measured to not OD ... fish water I am not sure of

beachbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I have made "gravy" by adding water to meat baby food (the "stage 2" kind, check ingredients to make sure it's just meat, no onions). That might be an option.
Hey Beandip that is a great idea. Is it bad to just feed dried food or should they have both. I feed my baby girl--Sandi--Friskies wet (senior) and Innova dry. I was thinking doing your gravy idea on the dry and not feed the friskies cause I want her to have a more healty food and nothing with corn or grains (brown rice is ok especially if it is way down on the list). She just loves gravy. Sometimes she just licks the gravy. I really think she is addicted to the wet food, just like we can be addicted to carbs/sugar/alcohol.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beachbum

Hey Beandip that is a great idea. Is it bad to just feed dried food or should they have both. I feed my baby girl--Sandi--Friskies wet (senior) and Innova dry. I was thinking doing your gravy idea on the dry and not feed the friskies cause I want her to have a more healty food and nothing with corn or grains (brown rice is ok especially if it is way down on the list). She just loves gravy. Sometimes she just licks the gravy. I really think she is addicted to the wet food, just like we can be addicted to carbs/sugar/alcohol.
Well, Sharky is the nutrition expert so maybe she can advise on your current menu.

Personally, I would only put the "gravy" on wet food. In my case, I used it to make raw lamb more enticing. Moistening dry food is not recommended....it's a bacteria hazard, to keep the story short.

You have picked a good dry food. I like to feed mainly wet food myself. There are a lot of good quality wet foods...I would move from Friskies to something with better ingredients. Friskies is equivalent to fast food for humans. You will find a lot of suggestions here on the site.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Good dry food but why friskies wet ???

beachbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Sharky,

I am not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking why do I give her Friskies or why do I want to stop or are you asking what is wrong with Friskies. I think it has to many fillers and makes them addicted to the food, that is just IMO.

Hey Beandip,

What do you mean about the bacteria thing. If she eats it all in one shot how can it hurt. I could see if it sits there. Could you explain that more, Thanks.

Anyone, would it be ok just to feed dry or will that make them constipated unless I add the gravy to the dry or is there something more for them in the wet (health wise) for them.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, scary as it sounds...there is normally bacteria on the dry food already...right out of the bag. So when you get it wet, it just grows. It's not something I would leave sitting around.

I realized I didn't really answer your question...yes, I believe that it's bad to be on a strictly dry food diet. Moistening dry food does not equal "wet" (canned) food. It's not the same.

I was curious why you picked a good dry food ...and then ended up with Friskies to go with it?
I would shoot for at least 50/50 dry / wet ...with a higher quality wet (not Friskies). My cats eat only "wet" (canned/raw) food...but that's not for everyone. I would try to serve some wet food, though.

Wet food hydrates the cat properly...which no dry food will do (regardless of drinking habits)...it is good for their bladder and kidneys, less carbs/more protein, therefore a more appropriate diet for a cat, better for weight management, more digestible...I can on and on and on.

beachbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Beandip (cute name by the way),

Ok I understand what you are saying. As for the Friskies, she has been eating that for a while and the dry I just switched and didn't want to switch everything at the same time. I never thought of feeding her healthier food until I looked into changing my own health and the with the recall. So as for the wet food (which she loves more) what do you all suggest to give her (brands).

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's good that you have her in the habit of eating wet food...even if it's Friskies.
At least she's not a dry food "junkie".
And you're making improvements, good job.

Which wet food depends on your feelings about the recall. A good, readily available choice that is not associated with MENU foods at all, and does not contain wheat gluten (or any wheat for that matter)...is Natural Balance. It is available at Petco. It's going to cost more than the friskies, but it's good food IMO. My cats really like it (except Leopold, but he's a tough case).

Merrick's and Evangers are 2 other canned food companies that have no association with Menu foods.

If you feel comfortable just avoiding the wheat gluten, then I can make other suggestions.
My cats eat a variety of canned...Their current favorites are Innova/Innova EVO and Wellness. They also eat Nature's Variety, Felidae, California Natural, Eagle Pack, and Nutro (yes, only the wheat free ones). Probably a couple I forgot. From the info I can gather, all of those are made in a menu foods plant...but none of them contain wheat gluten. Several of them are completely grain free, and most of the others use rice as a grain.

With the Friskies, is she used to the "chunks/gravy" or the "ground/loaf" type? Or will she eat either one?

I just realized we hijacked Panther's tuna thread...sorry Panther.

beachbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Well, it's good that you have her in the habit of eating wet food...even if it's Friskies.
At least she's not a dry food "junkie".
And you're making improvements, good job.

Yes, I am trying. She is gaining to much weight. I do the rib test. I could just barely feel them. She isn't to bad, but I like to keep an eye on that cause that is dangerous. She doesn't move like she use to. She is about 13 yrs old. Anyway, I wish I was such a health nut long ago that stuck to my beliefs. Now it is all changing for the whole family.

Which wet food depends on your feelings about the recall. A good, readily available choice that is not associated with MENU foods at all, and does not contain wheat gluten (or any wheat for that matter)...is Natural Balance. It is available at Petco. It's going to cost more than the friskies, but it's good food IMO. My cats really like it (except Leopold, but he's a tough case).

Well, I am kind of ify about Menu foods (they sound like they don't give a crap of what they did) so I guess you can say I want to stay clear of them, I guess band them. I what I was thinking was making my own wet and still give her the dry Innova. But I alway do alot of reserch before I attemp changes, that goes for myself too.

Merrick's and Evangers are 2 other canned food companies that have no
association with Menu foods.

They are wheat gluten free?

If you feel comfortable just avoiding the wheat gluten, then I can make other suggestions.
My cats eat a variety of canned...Their current favorites are Innova/Innova EVO and Wellness. They also eat Nature's Variety, Felidae, California Natural, Eagle Pack, and Nutro (yes, only the wheat free ones). Probably a couple I forgot. From the info I can gather, all of those are made in a menu foods plant...but none of them contain wheat gluten. Several of them are completely grain free, and most of the others use rice as a grain.

With the Friskies, is she used to the "chunks/gravy" or the "ground/loaf" type? Or will she eat either one?

Yes, wheat gluten and corn free. I may get the Innova wet but still thinking about it. Cat's are too funny, cause she will eat the gravy only if I give her the sliced kind. She eats the whole thing if I give her the ground loaf (I cut it in quarters).

I just realized we hijacked Panther's tuna thread...sorry Panther.

OMG, So sorry Panther. Come to think of it I did put fish oil in her wet food once and she looks at it and then looks at me as if to say ok what did you sneak into my food this time, but I guess she was pretty hungry and finally ate it. I guess if she is eating a good quality wet food you don't need to give her fish oil.
Thanks for a quick reply. You must be a stay home wife/mom too that we can be on the computer alot.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for a quick reply. You must be a stay home wife/mom too that we can be on the computer alot.
Yeah...I don't have any human kids though. I do have inlaws here tomorrow, though. I'm supposed to be partaking in domestic duties at the moment...finding any reason not to is easy. LOL

The Merrick's I have here has no wheat products at all. I don't think any of the flavors do. It's like a minced up meat in a soupy sauce, a very odd consistency...but it has good ingredients and my cats like it. There's a store locator at www.merrickpetcare.com ...they do sell it on their site but even w/free shipping it's quite a bit more than I pay locally.

Evanger's, no wheat that I know of. They're at http://www.evangersdogfood.com/cat/ ...I haven't tried much as I haven't been able to get it locally, except for a couple of the real fishy ones, and I try to go easy on that. Maybe I'll try to order some of the others later.

I swear the Natural Balance is the new "kitty crack"...I can't believe these guys go nuts over something that is healthy...but they do.