Is Wellness Cat Food Ok? Need answers asap!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im going to the pet store tonight and wanted to get my kitten dry food! Is wellness ok? I heard it is produced at Menu Foods but doesn not use Menu's cuts and gravy! I only gave her wet food once and Id like to put her on a wet food diet, just unsure of the chaotic recall situation! Should I just hold off?

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Im going to the pet store tonight and wanted to get my kitten dry food! Is wellness ok? I heard it is produced at Menu Foods but doesn not use Menu's cuts and gravy! I only gave her wet food once and Id like to put her on a wet food diet, just unsure of the chaotic recall situation! Should I just hold off?
If you want something that is not made at Menu try Felidae. The company has their own plent and doesn't use wheat, corn or soybean. I just switched my kittens on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it available at local pet stores... Petsmart, Petco, or Petworld by chance? It is for my kitten! Is it really expensive?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welness is MADE by Menu... One source said the same plant as all the recall items others say a different plant ... BUT it is made by Menu

Felidea
Natural balance
Solid gold

Not made or associated with menu

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it use produced by MENU? I thought it was just produced at the plant! How come it wasn't listed on the recall list (if it has been I am behind on my info)? I feed my cats the dry Wellness at the moment, is this an issue?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find felidae on any of my local pet store websites... Which do you recommend for a 7 month old kitten... Natural Balance or Solid Gold! Are both ok for everyday feeding?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So it use produced by MENU? I thought it was just produced at the plant! How come it wasn't listed on the recall list (if it has been I am behind on my info)? I feed my cats the dry Wellness at the moment, is this an issue?
so far it appears that Menu makes something like90% of ALL CANNED foods .. They do NOT make dry or treats.. Most companies make there own dry and treats in there own plants..

Wellness is NOt in the recall but them not saying which plant worries me as something I read said the SAME as the recall stuff..

natural balence shares a plant ( 1.15 at my petco for 5-6 oz can

solid gold said it is not at Menu ( I use both cat and dog .. 1.05 -1.99

Evangers is its own
... .79-2.29

Felidea is its own 1.29-1.59

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'll try Natural Balance are you sure it is safe? Im a paranoid freak! Who does Natural Balance share a plant with? Are you still feeding your kitties wet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they wont say .... I do trust them ( well as much as I am trusting any company right now)

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Ill hold off! When are they going to get this situation under control!

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you go to www.canidae.com website they will have store locator on their website. You can find all kinds of information about Felidae on their site. I personally would NOT buy anything that is made at Menu and/or a company doesn't admit where the food is made at. I have been in contact with Azmira who claim that they are not affected by recall but will NOT tell me or anyone if the food is made at Menu, which to me is very suspicious. I am returning all of their canned food (I never fed their dry food) and go strictly with Felidae. I better be safe than sorry.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have eliminated all wellness wet from stoli's diet. i wish wellness would say what plant they get their stuff from.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a locater for felidae near my house! Phew thank goodness! Is it quite expensive... I have been buying Wellness? Just curious of what I am looking for price wise!

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You are awesome for sending a link I was at a loss!
I am in the same boat as you. I freaked out when my kitten started to throw up every day and I used to feed Nutro. I have done a lot of research on feed and companies. I think so far Felidae for cats and Canidae for dogs wins for me. They are not part of the plant, don't use wheat, grain, soybean, corn or by-product. EVERYTHING is made in US and nothing is imported. They have their own plant and are not involved in the entire ordeal. As far as I can see their food is not much more than Nutro. I was actually surprised to see them costing only few $$ more for the beg and $.5-$.10 cents more for a can.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good! My kitten has never tried this formula maybe I should start with only a couple of cans in case she isn't a fan!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some clarification on the Natural Balance foods:

They share two plants, one for wet foods with American Nutrition in Utah, and one for dry foods with Diamond in California. They are not associated in any manner with Menu Foods.

My kittens and my Yorkie now eat only Solid Gold and Merricks wet (cats only) and Natural Balance wet and dry (cats & Yorkie both). Everyone is doing well.

Hope this helps some of you.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it is safe to go with Natural Balance and or Solid Gold? I just want the best for my babies!

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So it is safe to go with Natural Balance and or Solid Gold? I just want the best for my babies!
I just returned Natural Balance canned food. They do admit that they make their canned food at Menu but it's in S. Dakota I believe which is not the same plant that is having all these recalls. I feed my puppy that food in combination of Canidae but it's dry food only, which is not made by Menu at all. They are promising to their customer that new plant will be opened this year and all food will be made there with all US products.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzie

I just returned Natural Balance canned food. They do admit that they make their canned food at Menu but it's in S. Dakota I believe which is not the same plant that is having all these recalls. I feed my puppy that food in combination of Canidae but it's dry food only, which is not made by Menu at all. They are promising to their customer that new plant will be opened this year and all food will be made there with all US products.
I take that back it's Natura that I have returned and the statment is for Natura which makes Innova/Evo