Somebody built a halfpipe under my window...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm mad. There's a little parking lot under my window (which about half the building backs up against with our bedroom windows) and sometime today somebody built a full-scale halfpipe there. If I lived on the first floor, it would literally be three feet from my window. From the third floor, it might be fifteen... and this is a real halfpipe, reinforced wood, PVC pipe, everything. It's at least 12 feet by 18 feet.

There are some kids on it right now. It is LOUD. They're riding their bikes and every five seconds there are screams and cursing and well... halfpipe noises.

I know the people in the building the lot belongs to didn't build it. I KNOW we didn't build it, I just asked the manager and he is trying to figure it out.

I mean, this is really distressing. I live here because it's quiet and I need to study. Knowing the neighborhood, these kids are going to be here at all hours of the day and night.

What am I going to do? I mean, this is totally unacceptable and seems to be permanent. My windows are single pane... and basically, I feel like I suddenly live in a skate park with no warning whatsoever.

What would you do? Who do I call?

And not to be sterotypical, I like skaters/bmxers etc, but I already live in a bad neighborhood and I really feel like if this continues into tonight I might get my window broken or worse.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the people who own the lot did not give permission to have this thing built-they should have it removed. If the cops have to get involved so be it.
Who has the liability if someone gets hurt?? Does someone think this can be built without permission just because its an empty lot.
I hope you get some answers!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the police to see what can be done. Although...sometimes cops aren't the least bit helpful.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear you've been visited by the half pipe fairy!

All kidding aside, I'd call the police and the city. They have to be violating some sort of city law.

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but did it just pop up over night, or was it built over a period of time? That could be your hook. If it was built over a period of time they'd need a building permit. Something that skaters often forget to obtain.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Call the city building code department. They should be able to help you, if they can't help ask them who you should contact. Also, if you can contact the people who own the building. I'm sure they don't want the liability of having that on their property. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It did actually pop up since I left for class this morning... It seems to have just appeared. It's not an empty lot, it's actually right behind another building!

Here's a pic:
Don't mind the wires, they're in my window glass. This is taken standing on my bed.

That thing next to it is a building that used to have a store downstairs, it's being remodeled. There are other apartments above that. Next to that building there is an empty lot but I believe the university owns it as they used it for parking on game day.

It is still a mystery where it came from! But a little after I posted the cops showed up and kicked the kids off it, I think my manager called them. His apartment is even closer to the cursed thing than mine.

But it is still together, and I don't see anything keeping anyone else off it, and I also don't know when the heck it will be leaving. SOON hopefully!

You guys would be upset about this too right? I don't know if you can see but somebody stole a shopping cart from kroger and apparently was riding that on the halfpipe too.

If I am trying to sleep and they're on there, I am calling the cops. Non-emergency number of course.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG, I'd be furious! I hope that thing gets dismantled and soon.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are more kids on it right now... it sounds like a herd of elephants is trampling on my bedroom wall.

I'm freaking out a little.

10 o'clock, I am calling the cops. No hesistation.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the property belongs to the local school I would inform them too and let them know that as a tax paying citizen the issue needs to be taken care of in a timely manner. (Also because they are liable if there is an injury) If there are kids on it at night call the police (non emerg) and put in a noise complaint. Most cities have a noise bylaw that says that any overly overt noise after a certain hour is a chargeable offense. If it continues in regards to this half pipe the police may even confiscate it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the picture, I had no idea what a "half pipe" was. To me that looks like a skateboard ramp not a pipe.

Anyway, is it made of wood? Why not get some fellow tenants in the building and go out and take it down and break up the wood?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly it does belong to my neighbor. Which REALLY
me off. These kids are hoodlums-- there are seven year olds out there screaming obscenities at passersby, f- this f- that every other word.

The police were just here for at least the second time today. I went out and talked to them... they say there isn't anything totally illegal about the structure itself although they are also concerned because it is clearly not safe at all and they seemed sympathetic. They advised me to call the mayor's office, which I will be doing. And that the local school is on spring break, which means they will be here all day.

If I have to take these people to court, I will. This is ridiculous. I wish I could make a recording and post it-- my entire apartment sounds like a skate park. I seriously can't live like this. I shouldn't have to leave my apartment to study because some jerk did this.

Do people have ANY consideration for other people? I mean, they were practically stepping on my downstairs neighbor's window to build it! Did they wonder how any of the twenty people who live right here would feel about this?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Thanks for the picture, I had no idea what a "half pipe" was. To me that looks like a skateboard ramp not a pipe.

Anyway, is it made of wood? Why not get some fellow tenants in the building and go out and take it down and break up the wood?
It is a skate ramp-- called a half pipe, because it's shaped like sort of a semi-circle if you look at it from the side. Here's wikipedia's thing on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-pipe

I have half a mind to destroy it but if this does end up in civil court or something I need the upper hand.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also contact your alderman's office. Often they're of more help in matters like this. I'm sure that thing violates all kinds of ordinances. I also believe that after 10pm there are noise ordinances.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure symathize with you
I've had my fair share of inconsiderate neighbours. Not much you can really do except to keep complaining.

The people next door do they live in a house that they own? Is the property they built this thing on theirs? Did they acquire a building permit to build it? What about a zoning bylaw? You can't just build whatever you want when you want to. There are laws to follow.

If they are renting, complain to their landlord/manager.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it wasn't for the noise I don't think I'd mind. But some apartments just aren't that sound proof. So I can sympathize with that. I wouldn't destroy it. If it wasn't illegal for them to build it, then you destroying it would put you in the wrong. And you'll probably end up paying for the damage. I would just talk to the property owner. Thier the one that needs to stand up and say this thing isn't allowed. I know if that was built in the apartment complex where I lived, the owners would have had it removed immediately. Surely they don't want the responsibility if someone should get hurt. Not to mention thier going to have to deal with angry tenants.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously wrecking it is just a disgruntled fantasy!

Yes, they are renting, I know the other neighbor there. Unfortunately it isn't on my landlord's property because I can assure yall it would have been gone before it was done! But it's not, I'll have to find out who owns that building and complain to them. And the mayor's action line (who will then take it up with zoning). Fortunately my landlord and building manager are fantastic and they will be doing something too and they can pull more weight since they own the property two feet from this thing.

What I can figure out is how it wasn't there yesterday but it's there now. Where the heck did it come from! There is no way anyone was building it in their apartment, it's a second floor walk up.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be calling everyone I could think of, and as often as I needed to until this thing got gone!
You should not have to be disturbed by a bunch of little heathens that have no consideration for anyone. I cannot imagine what the owner of this monstrosity was thinking.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, as a skater I can say its great that it was built. At least these kids are doing something outside and athletic instead of drugs and playing video games. Most skaters wont do any damage they are just there to skate. It looks like a very homegrown type of ramp. Something like that could be bult very fast. They may have gotten permission, to build something like that mos skaters just don't put them anywhere.

As an adult and a renter I would be mad if it was built and there was no time control. There are a few things you can do that don't involve the city or the cops. Skaters get a bad rap as it is and adults need to be more understanding. Believe me there are far worse things those kids could be doing, if we keep taking all the fun away we will be left with fat lazy troublemakers. Here are a few things you can do.

1) Go talk with the kids, find out who built it and if they had permission.
2) Explain to them that it is okay to stake ther if they remain respectful of the people who live there.
3) Tell them that you will be putting a curfew on it. Buy a Thick chain, attach it somehow across the botom of the ramp and lock it. This makes it impossable to skate. Pick hours and let them skate at that time.
4) Be cool about it. They will respect you for it. Calling them names and treating them like criminals is NO WAY to handle it.

Trust me. I skate, my DH skates most of our freinds are skaters. I have gotten to know a few younger skaters and they are actually very smart, helpful and respectful. All they want is for adults to understand them. We are taking away all the things for them to do. Sure they may be loud but would you much rather they be breaking into your house or car or worse out of bordom? Its sickening to me really. The way skaters are treated. All they want to do is hae fun. Hey if you really want to be cool go out and ask them to teach you how to skate. Its great fun and excersise. You never know you could be helping to form the next Tony Hawk.

Oh an dther are many different types of ramps. A full pipe(looks like a pipe), a quarter pipe(half the pipe you see here) and a half pipe( what you see here).

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing I would worry about is someone coming through the window with the way it is set up. If you don't want it there, maybe an adult could work with the kids to get something more secure built for them in a nearby area that is safer. Trying to study with many people using that pipe will be impossible for you. Helping them get a good one built could be a summer project

Those kids sound like they need someone to care in a constructive way.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Obviously wrecking it is just a disgruntled fantasy!

Yes, they are renting, I know the other neighbor there. Unfortunately it isn't on my landlord's property because I can assure yall it would have been gone before it was done! But it's not, I'll have to find out who owns that building and complain to them. And the mayor's action line (who will then take it up with zoning). Fortunately my landlord and building manager are fantastic and they will be doing something too and they can pull more weight since they own the property two feet from this thing.

What I can figure out is how it wasn't there yesterday but it's there now. Where the heck did it come from! There is no way anyone was building it in their apartment, it's a second floor walk up.
You also need a permit to build something like that, at least here you do so I'm assuming you would where you are too.

Call the city help line and ask who you complain to about a sports structure that was likely built without a permit.

We're lucky here. Skateboarders have been a huge problem where I live and the City recognized it and the need for a "park" of sorts to accommodate the growing interest in skateboarding. We now have a huge park-like structure for that purpose. Tony Hawk made an unannounced pit stop here to try it out and spent the day skating with the people there. He said it was one of the finest he had skated on and that he would be back.

Before that it wasn't uncommon for kids and their families to try and build their own ramps wherever they could or use other people's property if they had something that they could adlib with.

Here is the park which our City built:

http://www.winnipegskateparks.com/in...d=16&Itemid=48