Some Questions about a new cat we took in

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know most of you will probably say to bring to a vet but until I can do that I was just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what's going on with this cat.

First off, my brother and sister found him outside and brought him home, only my mother wouldn't let them bring him in so I decided to take him home cause I didn't want him left outside all the time. He seems like he was an indoor cat at some point cause he's too friendly to be feral.

Now that we have him here, he's been sleeping ALOT, he basically only gets up to use the litter box and maybe eat a little. It kinda worries me cause it seems like he should be more active, he can't be any older than 8 months.

Could he just be sleeping alot cause he's not used to the place (stress) or maybe cause he was just tired from being outside? Anything you could tell me would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are his eating/drinking habits? If they seem normal and he's using the pan normal, then it could be stress. As soon as possible I'd get him to the vet for a complete checkup.

There's a possiblity of heart problems if he's not active.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teddy came to us as a stray - he had obviously been solicalised as he was very friendly and came to us for attention/cuddles & headbutts
He was about 4/5mths.

He was (and still is) very active, following us around, jumping on our laps and just generally wanting attention all the time, not just for food.

So I think this is strange but of course, we dont know what circumstances your kitty comes to be 'stray' maybe he has had a bit of a shock on his travels and as you mentioned is just so stressed
and tired out so he is just catching up on some sleep

Are you going to keep the little fella then ?

Keep us posted on progress and give him some chin scritches from us

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

How are his eating/drinking habits? If they seem normal and he's using the pan normal, then it could be stress. As soon as possible I'd get him to the vet for a complete checkup.

There's a possiblity of heart problems if he's not active.
He's been eating alright, but I haven't seen him drink too much, unless he drinks more over night.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In any event he needs to be seen by a vet. Actually, before allowing him around your current cats he should be checked in case he has any infectious diseases that he may have picked up outside.

I would also think that a young kitten/cat would be more active than yours appears to be and again would recommend vet - sooner rather than later.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

In any event he needs to be seen by a vet. Actually, before allowing him around your current cats he should be checked in case he has any infectious diseases that he may have picked up outside.

I would also think that a young kitten/cat would be more active than yours appears to be and again would recommend vet - sooner rather than later.
I'm aware that he needs to be seen by a vet. But unfotunately that can't happen immediatly. Which is why I wanted to see what others thought. We will be taking him to get checked out as soon as possible tho.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

I'm aware that he needs to be seen by a vet. But unfotunately that can't happen immediatly. Which is why I wanted to see what others thought. We will be taking him to get checked out as soon as possible tho.
It's unfortunate that you cannot take him in immediately. Is there any way you could get the vet to allow you to make payment arrangements? I honestly don't think this kitty can wait until you can get him to the vet. I'd also be worried about my current kitties being in proximity to him.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep HIM SEPARATED from yours... IF you cant get him to a vet Please take him to a no /low kill shelter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we adopted out kitten from the shelter the first 3 days all it did was eat, sleep, use the litter box and purr. But it slept constantly. We would pick it up and it would still sleep. Now its our most active cat.

joolzann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the other posters about the separation and the vet and all, and I think you were awesome to take the baby in!!

I think that sometimes, as strays, they don't sleep as much as they should, given that outside, they are always "on the alert" for danger, and can never get that deep sleep. Just my opinion, but again, if kitty's eating and drinking and pooping, I think those are your best signs. Good luck!!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well last night he was purring up a storm and playing a little, so that's a better sign. But is still sleeping more than anything else. He threw up yesterday but I'm pretty sure it was just from eating too much (we gave him some wet) and then drank a whole bunch of water not too long after. He will remain separated from the other cats till we can get him checked out. I think he prefers that anyway lol. Here's a pic of the little guy, who we named Leo.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/DSC02563.jpg

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful ginger boy!! I hope he's feeling better and you can get him to the vet soon.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Leo will eventually come around. Poor little guy is probably just trying to catch up on some much needed sleep!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

I think Leo will eventually come around. Poor little guy is probably just trying to catch up on some much needed sleep!
For sure, we're hoping that's all it is. He is eating and everything, just sleeps alot. We're most likely gonna get him checked out at the end of the month.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

In my next life I'm coming back as a cat so I can sleep all day :-)
You know everytime I start to think that, I catch sight of someone licking their butt

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just thought I would post a little update on Leo. We took him to the vet yesterday, since we had a chance to bring him earlier than expected. He is about the age I guessed, 8 months. He got his shots and deworming pills just to make sure he doesn't have any worms, since we just dewormed our other cats. The only problem with him is that he has an infection, urinary tract infection, so we got some special food and meds to start him on tomorrow. Other than that he's definitly become more playful and when he wants attention he lets you know lol He's very persistent! But a very good cat none the less. Oh also, we are getting him nuetered May 1.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh thats sounds really positive, at least you know how the little fella is and can get his infection sorted out

He is a handsome boy
you will have to take some more photos of him

Hope he is settling well with your other kits - keep us posted !

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

oh thats sounds really positive, at least you know how the little fella is and can get his infection sorted out

He is a handsome boy
you will have to take some more photos of him

Hope he is settling well with your other kits - keep us posted !
Well I just posted a few more pics of him in the Fur pics only section. We are still keeping him away from the other cats (mainly the females) till he gets nuetered.