Two of my little foster kittens have passed on.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now i'm pretty upset. Since Easter, i have lost two of my prescious little foster kittens out of the 6 i have. They were part of a litter of 3- i've had them since they were around a day old (so about a week). Little white kittens with soft long fur- just beautiful... I'm not sure what was wrong
I had done everything i know of in my power to take good care of them- constant feedings/weigh ins/ medicine/ vet visits/ keeping them warm...sometimes when they're that small, they just don't always make it. It's frusterating. There is one left of that little bunch, Piper. Phoebe and Poppy passed on. Phoebe died on Easter night and Poppy just a few minutes ago. Phoebe started having seizures on Sunday really badly so i was going to run her back up to the shelter and give her an IV- but by the time i got her in the car to leave she was already dead
/ Poppy just passed a few minutes ago from what i rekon- i had fed them earlier this morning - when i went in there a little while ago for their next feeding, she was stone cold and not moving
I still don't understand how she was soo cold- i have all my foster kittens on heating pads underneath their fluffy beds and they have fleecy blankets all in their cages to keep them warm
I pulled her out and tried to warm her with a blow dryer- that didn't work... so i tried kitten cpr with no luck eithor. Colin and I also tried to stimulate her by rubbing her body/moving her around to see if she'd respond -still nothing so at that point i checked for a heart beat and there was none. She had passed
I really don't know what to think/do - i've done everything i know to do- they eat every 2-3 hours and i spike their formula with pedialyte to make sure they stay well hydrated. they've been to the vet for a check (and at that time checked out healthy) i keep them on heating pads underneath their beds - i dunno what i'm doing wrong or if it was just them. Sometimes it's hard to tell- i think perhaps they were just sickly or had fading kitten syndrome. As of right now their litter mate seems to be doing good so i'm just praying she is ok- she's eating well, very responsive, and is in good condition. I hope little Piper stays that way. My other litter (three little 4 week old tiger tabbies) are doing excellent so i'm hoping nothing else happens. I thought about putting little Piper in with the other ones but the other ones are twice her size and would hurt her....not to mention if little Piper does have something that her other sisters had i wouldn't want my little tiger tabbie kittens to get it. So as much as i hate to keep Piper by herself, that seems like it's my only option at the moment.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry Nikki!
We all know how hard you try. I've known vets to loose foster kittens, too. Sometimes, things are beyond your control. Just know that you gave them love in their short lives.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no!
I am so very sorry, Nikki!
Please know that you did everything you could. rest in peace little ones.
they were so lucky to have you as their foster meowmy and they knew you did everything you could for them. thanks so much for showing those sweeties so much love in their short lives.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of the 2 little one, but know in your heart that you have done everything right and that some things are beyond our control..RIP sweet angels.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry for your loss, from reading your post you did all you could have done and more. Nothing can repair that hole left in the heart except time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for being soo supportive. I've been questioning everything since it happened trying to think of if there was anything i could have done differenetly- i don't think there was....i'm starting to think those little ones were just sick

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou everyone for being so supportive. I've been questioning everything since it happened trying to think if there was anything i could have done differently- i don't think there was....i'm starting to think those little ones were just sick
& being so little it's much harder for them to recover...
btw, she was cold because she had been gone for a while, not because her bedding wasn't warm enough.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my I am sorry to read about your little ones
you did all the best for them and of course loved so much

RIP Sweet ones, you are in a special place now, there are some older kitties that will take care of you now

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

& being so little it's much harder for them to recover...
btw, she was cold because she had been gone for a while, not because her bedding wasn't warm enough.
Thankyou Laureen..that makes sense now. I was soo upset i didn't even consider that.
I feel better knowing that now! I was feeling both heating pads and checking them like a maniac to make sure they were warming up.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I'm so sorry to hear this. You are amazing, how you give so many little ones a chance at life. Some things are just not under our control.
Thankyou hon, i really appreciate that
I took it hard with these little ones. It is always hard when i loose a foster kitten. I get soo attached to them having to care for them every 2-3 hours -it's impossible not to get soo close you know.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry two of the little ones didn't make it. I know you are taking care of them as best that can be done, so please don't blame yourself. Sometimes they just aren't strong enough to make it, no matter how hard you try.

Rest in Peace little ones. You were loved.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe Nikki,

I am sooo sorry for you losses.

Thank you for taking such good care of them for there short time here. I had a similar situation happen to me too, but you did all that you could for them. They've gone to a better place now!
Sending soothing vibes your way.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw Nikki, I'm so sorry.
You did everything in your power to save the little ones but it was their time to go. You are a great meowmy!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im so sorry you lost 2 of your fosters

you done everything you could have done for them , and in there very short life they were loved and cared for and had a nice safe and warm home.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhhh I'm so sorry
You're very brave taking on so many little babies like them. You did your absolute best, and I bet they tried their hardest to hang on as well, but you just can't save them all, no matter how hard we try.

I was devastated when I thought little Smudge wasn't going to make it, so I know how hard it is.

to you, and good luck for little Piper!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awe nikki i am so sorry
this is such sad news to wake up to
I think u did everything that u could and like other members have stated when they are that tiny and are recovering it can be hard!
I am sending many good vibes to u and the rest of ur crew tho to all stay healthy and strong

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I am so so sorry for this, not the news we wanted to hear, but however hard it is for you, at least these little darlings had a week of your tender love and care, and went loved and safe, the outcome for them could have been so much worse if it weren't for you being such an angel. RIP little ones.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone- it has really helped to talk about it with ya'll.
I am feeling a lot better about everything now. I think i'm realizing that i did everything i could have in my power to save them and you know when they're that young sometimes they just don't make it without their mommas. I do have some wonderful news admists all of this- Today I got a call from a couple that happened to see the little kittens the day they were brought into the shelter- i had given them my number and told them to set up an appointment if they'd like to see them once they got settled in. The want little Piper should she be ok and make it!!! Talk about good news! They are comming by on Saturday after i get off work to see little Piper and my other 3 kittens
So it looks like some of my foster babies will be going to a wonderful new home in a few months when they're ready! I'm soo excited- what a blessing!!!
So this is just wonderful news right now in the mists of everything else that has happened. Little Piper was looking great a few minutes ago when i fed all of them- she's gaining weight well and nursing well so i'm hoping she will be ok. Keep her in your prayers that she stays strong- hopefully she will have a new home to go to in a few months!