I've had it with my company!/Messed up paychecks

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seriously had it with my company...even if I could get another job in another department, the way they treat their employees is rediculous and I can't take it any longer.

While I was out on disability there was a week where I only got 2 days worth of pay because my pay benefits claim wasn't approved in time for me to get a full weeks pay. Once it was approved, I was supposed to get the 3 days they owed me back. Well my company has a policy where any owed money will not be given for 2 weeks, why that is, I don't know. Well *3* weeks go by and I still didn't have my money, so I called payroll, left a voicemail as usual, and heard back on a Friday. The woman told me that I would get the money that day, although they made a mistake and didn't give me all that I was supposed to get and I would get the rest of it Tuesday (today). Well I look at my bank account and they STILL didn't give me all the money they owe me. They only gave me again, 2 days worth of pay. They still owe me for a day.

So I went through and made note of all the days in which I received pay for that pay week, and added it up, and it comes up to be one day's worth of pay short of what I was getting on a weekly basis while on disability. So I call payroll and get into an argument with the woman because SHE says I was paid for the 3 days they owed me, and I tell her no, I was only paid for 2. I then outline to her everything I made note of, what my usual pay amount was while on disability, and how much to this date they've given me for the week in question. I tell her that it came out to only have been paid for 4 days, not 5. But no, she doesn't want to hear it. She's interrupting me, and telling me "You were paid for all the days you were supposed to be".
She then asks for my number and says she'll call me back later and "put it into a format I can understand". I know she meant that she's going to break down what I was paid for, but the way she phrased it was just downright rude.

I'm sorry, I know she's in payroll, but *I* know what I get after taxes on any given week, and I'm sure as heck going to notice a whole days pay not being given to me. We're not talking $10 or $20 here, we're talking almost $150.

I really don't know what I'm going to do if she continues to uphold her story in saying that I was paid all that I should have been paid. We're a large company so payroll is in another state completely. If I tell the office clerk or management of the problem, she's probably just going to tell them the same thing, and they'll believe her because she'll have all the records in front of her, and not the employee who has access to their bank account and KNOWS whether or not all the money they're supposed to get was deposited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

How rude of her..Keep at it and make them pay you what you are owed. I too would be..
I'm just getting the feeling that I can argue with this lady until I'm blue in the face and it won't matter. She is THE person I have to call regarding payroll for my office.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to someone over her? She sounds like a true poophead.
I hope this turns out in your favor. keep all your paystubs so they can see you've been shorted and it they refuse, you can take them to court and get it that way.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have pay stubs?

I had a problem with an employer when I was leaving the company. I was shorted on my severance pay. When I called them to tell them that I was missing 2 weeks pay, they claimed I didn't have any "hold back" and that each time I was paid I was paid upto and including the day of payroll.

I was told that only the service techs had a 2 week hold back and that all office staff were paid current to the payday date each time.

Luckily I had kept all of my pay stubs going back to the beginning (6 years worth), and showed them that I infact did have a 2 week hold back.

After I provided them with concrete evidence in the form of documents from their office, they had no choice but to pay me what I was owed.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Do you have pay stubs?

I had a problem with an employer when I was leaving the company. I was shorted on my severance pay. When I called them to tell them that I was missing 2 weeks pay, they claimed I didn't have any "hold back" and that each time I was paid I was paid upto and including the day of payroll.

I was told that only the service techs had a 2 week hold back and that all office staff were paid current to the payday date each time.

Luckily I had kept all of my pay stubs going back to the beginning (6 years worth), and showed them that I infact did have a 2 week hold back.

After I provided them with concrete evidence in the form of documents from their office, they had no choice but to pay me what I was owed.
I have my pay stub for the week of March 15th and it clearly says it is equal to 2 days of pay. The other stubs haven't come in yet because I was only given the money Friday and today. I may be getting them mailed to me but because I returned to work yesterday I don't know if they will be mailed or if they'll go to my job.

But it doesn't take a genious to see that they screwed up. The check I have in my posession that clearly states 2 days worth of pay, is only $3 less than the amount that I was given as of today since Friday, which means it's only 2 days worth of pay. I also have proof of what my checks normally were while I was out, and if you do the math, the amount I've received to date that they owed me is a days worth of pay less than what I would normally receive.

So I don't care what her records say. I don't doubt that they may say that I was paid for the 3 days owed, but I was not.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yuck, i'm not even sure what to say to that. I hope this woman comes to it and realized how stupid and rude she is being, especially being that it's that obvious. I hope it works out in you favor.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it turns out they're right, I'm wrong.

2 weeks ago I was put on half pay while I was on disability. The week prior I got a full paycheck. It turns out they screwed up and I was supposed to be on half pay a week earlier than I was. So in effect they overpaid me and had to take it back.

How convenient.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn-I hate when that happens!! Hopefully they will continue to get it right from here on though.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that rough man.
by the way i dont know about your company, but as i found out, they did not take taxs out of my checks when i was on medcial leave, and i had to pay extra this because of it.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

that rough man.
by the way i dont know about your company, but as i found out, they did not take taxs out of my checks when i was on medcial leave, and i had to pay extra this because of it.
My company takes out the taxes. They take out everything they possibly can no matter what, and when they make a mistake, they take it back as fast as they can. But when they owe YOU something, good luck

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

You didn't notice they gave you too much though
Because I didn't know that I was on half pay for that week. To me it looked like a normal pay check. No one told me that starting that week I was to only receive half pay checks.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need to file a complaint with a government agency for intervention, there is a statute of limitations so don't let it sit for sometime in the future because it may be too late to try and collect on the money owed.

Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I have my pay stub for the week of March 15th and it clearly says it is equal to 2 days of pay. The other stubs haven't come in yet because I was only given the money Friday and today. I may be getting them mailed to me but because I returned to work yesterday I don't know if they will be mailed or if they'll go to my job.

But it doesn't take a genious to see that they screwed up. The check I have in my posession that clearly states 2 days worth of pay, is only $3 less than the amount that I was given as of today since Friday, which means it's only 2 days worth of pay. I also have proof of what my checks normally were while I was out, and if you do the math, the amount I've received to date that they owed me is a days worth of pay less than what I would normally receive.

So I don't care what her records say. I don't doubt that they may say that I was paid for the 3 days owed, but I was not.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If you need to file a complaint with a government agency for intervention, there is a statute of limitations so don't let it sit for sometime in the future because it may be too late to try and collect on the money owed.
I just mentioned above that it is resolved. Not in my favor, but resolved. It turns out I was the one who was wrong, even as b.s. as the whole situation is.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is absolutely outrageous- you really don't need the stress of this on top of recently returning to work after surgery. I wished you luck in getting a transfer in your other thread but I am now wishing for you that something far better comes into your life.

Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

She then asks for my number and says she'll call me back later and "put it into a format I can understand".
That is just downright insulting.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I hate when I hear businesses that have their payroll out of state.

The last company I worked at was like that and one girl was just hired on to be a supervisor for the customer service department. She did not live in the city and the company was not located in the city.
Yet for some reason Payroll decided to take city taxes out of her paycheck. She was
and quit shortly after they got it resolved...which took 4 weeks.

I always find the best approach to any situation like that though is non-accusitory...simply call them up and ask for an itemization. Just say you need it for tax purposes or something...then you find out if they did or did not do something. If they didn't that's when you rip into them.