TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Don Imus Racial Remarks and the double standard?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don Imus Racial Remarks and the double standard? - Page 4

post #91 of 118
I think he made a IDIOT and STUPID COMMENT ... but truthfully only the memebers of that team should have been concerned ... Anyone tuned into his show that day likely WASNT offended as they were listening to him ..

According to that test I have a Strong preference to white people ...lol... the test could be swayed by the fact that less than one percent of my county and the five counties around me are black ...
post #92 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I
According to that test I have a Strong preference to white people ...lol... the test could be swayed by the fact that less than one percent of my county and the five counties around me are black ...

lol i fall within the 17% little to no automatic preference between skin tones.
which i feel for me is true.

but i am a pilot and gamer, i am very used to seeing something know what it is and making my fingers do what i want. as test have proven, gamers and such have a higher tie in between there eyes, brain, and fingers etc. hmm that was kinda fun, i am goign to do the others just for kicks
post #93 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
There is an online version. I was shown to have no automatic preference for whites or blacks, my wife was shown to have a "moderate" automatic preference for whites over blacks.

http://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Personally I think this type of test is rediculous. After a while it gets so repetitive that you make mistakes just based on getting confused from the repetition, not on any sort of bias.
I agree. If it does indicate something, then it was put together poorly. People establish patterns very quickly and that's what this test did: set patterns in the start. If they mixed up the 4 categories throughout then the results would be different.

Also the test doesn't take into context locations of where you see the different people. I.e. if I was in a Detroit hood where crackhouses were lining the streets (believe me, I've made those wrong turns!!!) yea, I'm not trusting ANYONE. Huh...well then that would make sense for my results (little to no preference to either races).
post #94 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
"I will apologize when White America......blah blah blah" and called this woman
a "Political WHORE" right there on the show. God forbid you are a black conservative or you will be hated by your own race and called an Uncle Tom or worse
Funny you should bring that up.
I got so annoyed at a Boston Globe magazine article from a week or so ago about Bill Cosby and his PhD thesis from UMass. I can't say that I have ever really enjoyed watching the guy or found him funny, but I give him a HUGE amount of credit for doing something remarkable-bringing plain ol' ordinary decent, hardworking black families to American prime time TV. So what happens to him? His thesis gets ripped up one side and down the other. Well I tell you what, I have supervised PhD theses myself and not everyone is Einstein. You get a lot that are so-so, some that are good, and once in a lifetime you get a fantastic one. So what is the big deal that Bill Cosby did not write a stellar thesis? Is he supposed to be wildly successful at everything? Why is he not a good role model? Or how about Stephon Marbury?

Or do we have something going on in the US comparable to the middle east, a few extremists like Jackson and Sharpton are claiming to speak for a group of people that may or may not endorse them?
post #95 of 118
post #96 of 118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
The next battle...how is this going to work? You can't ban rappers from using certain language, that would bring up freedom of speech again and argue that's what parental advisory stickers are for.

That's what bothers me, not much will happen in a way to impact these artists, but Imus will still not have a job. Just like with the rap, if you don't like it, change the channel. If you're going to be that offended by what someone in a song or on a talk show says, then you obviously were not raised with enough confidence and self esteem about yourself.

and again, what about the two white girls on the team? I feel bad that they got dragged into this as if they're not even there. Were they asked how THEY felt about this? I'm willing to bet no.
post #97 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
The next battle...how is this going to work? You can't ban rappers from using certain language, that would bring up freedom of speech again and argue that's what parental advisory stickers are for.

That's what bothers me, not much will happen in a way to impact these artists, but Imus will still not have a job. Just like with the rap, if you don't like it, change the channel. If you're going to be that offended by what someone in a song or on a talk show says, then you obviously were not raised with enough confidence and self esteem about yourself.

and again, what about the two white girls on the team? I feel bad that they got dragged into this as if they're not even there. Were they asked how THEY felt about this? I'm willing to bet no.
I agree. The rappers are going to complain about Freedom of Speech, but you know what, if one group can't say, then no group should say it.

I was talking to a teaher this weekend who teaches in a mostly Islamic district. She was saying that her middle school students (again, Middle Eastern origin) call each other the "N" word all the time. When she asked where they learned the language from they responded the black people call each other that all the time, so they figured it was OK to call each other that name.

so to me I agree...if the activists really want that word erased, they need to get their people to stop calling each other that.
post #98 of 118
you knwo what i find funny,
last summer walking out from the mall there was 2 white kids calling each other the N world(hmm i shoudl spell it, but oh well)

hey N you stole me shirt,.
no N you said i could have it,
etc etc etc,
then they started to push each other, As we walked past and they yelled N at each other again,,

i said you do know you both white right? talk about confused looks,
post #99 of 118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
you knwo what i find funny,
last summer walking out from the mall there was 2 white kids calling each other the N world(hmm i shoudl spell it, but oh well)

hey N you stole me shirt,.
no N you said i could have it,
etc etc etc,
then they started to push each other, As we walked past and they yelled N at each other again,,

i said you do know you both white right? talk about confused looks,
That's a whole other ball of wax, with how white kids will try to act all urban. They do it because they feel like it's the popular thing to do, and they can't find a way to fit in otherwise by just being themselves. Instead they look like idiots. Not because they're acting urban, but because they're not acting like themselves and people can tell that.

It's like if I came on here

G'Day mates! Byoot-e-ful day we 'avin!

Ok maybe that was Australian mixed with English, but you get my point
post #100 of 118
lol yea but you could say imus was trying to Fit in the younger people by trying to sound like them.
post #101 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffysimba View Post
That's what makes me so angry about this. It's a double standard and it's racism... yep Sharpton or Jackson was right... it's sad to see how racism is still alive in the USA.

I better leave this thread before I really get mad.

I agree very much with the above post. I am shocked by the comments in this thread and deeply saddend by the pure ignorance.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has been watching Oprah yesterday and today, as they are discussing this topic in a MUCH more respectful and constructive way.
post #102 of 118
I personally can't see anyone in this thread being disrespectful to others, you may not agree with the posts, but if it was breaking rules by being disrespectful, it would have been taken care of.

As far as I am concerned, they have accepted his apology (and I agree with whoever said that they probably didn't even hear about it until contacted), and to begin with THEY complained about being called ho's not nappy-headed... I think that shock jocks make comments like this all the time and it was blow out of proportion by the media on this occasion because of those involved.

That being said, I don't think anyone should be speaking about others in that manner, in person, on radio or in music
post #103 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovia View Post
on our news tonight [...]and that it was different when it was blacks speaking against blacks....... this in itself could be a WHOLE other thread.


Please its even worse because its full of self-hatred
post #104 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese View Post
I agree very much with the above post. I am shocked by the comments in this thread and deeply saddend by the pure ignorance.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has been watching Oprah yesterday and today, as they are discussing this topic in a MUCH more respectful and constructive way.
such as what? examples
post #105 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
[url]The part that gets me is that if it were the other way around, and talk show host of another race made comments, no one would even blink an eye.

I certainly didn't take the time to go through all of the responses...this is a topic that REALLY gets my goat...but THANK YOU for saying, pretty much, what I think.

I've done radio (on-air) since 1994 so I've seen a lot of stuff going on both up-front and behind the scenes.

I can see both sides of this, to an extent.

Firstly....COME ON. The reason why CBS hired Imus is FOR what he does. He is a SHOCK JOCK. Just like Howard Stern. They are probably two of the most highly-paid jocks out there (God Bless them....!) and that is FOR A REASON. People, in general, are drawn to controversy (within the right demographics..and I think in their case, they are going for a male audience.
CBS canned Imus for POLITICAL reasons and not for what he said. If they didn't want anything like him on the air, they wouldn't have hired him. They know EXACTLY what he does. So spare me.

Secondly... the comments. Al Sharpton can go kiss my white a**. No..I certainly don't consider myself racist at all. If you want to be equal...the be just that: EQUAL!!!! If you want to try and keep yourself segregated, society will see to it that you are. My husband called me that (nappy-headed ho) before I even heard about what happened and I laughed....because I thought he was teasing me about my own naturally-curly hair. I had no idea it was a racist thing and I nearly dropped over when he explained to me what happened.

GIMME A :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:' BREAK. It isn't like Imus used the OTHER N word...I think that would've been an entirely different issue that I would totally for getting his butt off the air (yes, you CAN go too far...and that would do it).

Jocks like Imus and Stern (Bob and Tom, etc) are all about pushing things to the limit and if you offend easily...by all means, don't listen. I mean, I am not a fan of the "Feminine Hygiene Song" Bob and Tom run, but that is why I don't listen to them.

But like the OP (original poster) said, if it were about ANYONE else (race, sex, fat, thin), we wouldn't have heard about it. Female jokes.....I don't take offense....It is like "Whatever! Shutthehellup".

From what I understand, didn't the other dude with Imus say something a little more graphic?

Now Sharpton...dude....I think he LIKES to be "separate" from everyone else...I swear. Like with the NY shooting of the groom the early morning hours of his wedding day.

Yes...it was VERY sad...for ANYONE (white, black, other)...and I don't even know the details of it, anymore...but Sharpton was right there. Would he have been if the victim were WHITE? ASIAN? I think not.

Go away. I don't like him.

OK..flame away. But that is my opinion on it.
post #106 of 118
lol you should have taken the time, to read, most people agree.
post #107 of 118
Hard to take the time to sort through everything with a stinkin' 2.5 year old and a 3 month old...a very CHALLENGING 2.5 year old, at that!
post #108 of 118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie640 View Post
Hard to take the time to sort through everything with a stinkin' 2.5 year old and a 3 month old...a very CHALLENGING 2.5 year old, at that!
It's ok, I don't have kids and if I was new to this thread I wouldn't be able to sit and read 9 pages myself either
post #109 of 118
Thread Starter 
It looks like Imus is going to sue CBS for firing him.

Good for him, I hope he wins.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3135895&page=1
post #110 of 118
I hope he wins, too. While I think what he said was stupid, THEY hired him to be raunchy/shocking/controversial... it's wrong to cut him loose when he is.

And one other thing. I keep hearing about how traumatised/humiliated/scarred for life those girls are. The thing that bugs ME is, if it hadn't been for the mainstream media, I doubt they'd ever know they'd been called NHHs. I can't imagine they watch a lot of Imus. I feel bad for the girls, but if they were embarrassed, then the network news stations were as much to blame as anyone.
post #111 of 118
Well since this thread has started back up, I'll post what I emailed you ReesesPBC yesterday.

I don't blame Imus for suing.

At this point I AM going to take a picture of that beauty store I PM'd you. The store is called:

Happy to be Nappy

Yup, that's right everyone. I know the other half of the phrase is just as bad, but I'm sure that I can find a store in Detroit somewhere that uses that term. :rollseyes:
post #112 of 118
Quote:
Happy to be Nappy
Do they sell Bows for Ho's there?

Sorry. *goes back to lurking*
post #113 of 118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_curiouser View Post
I hope he wins, too. While I think what he said was stupid, THEY hired him to be raunchy/shocking/controversial... it's wrong to cut him loose when he is.

And one other thing. I keep hearing about how traumatised/humiliated/scarred for life those girls are. The thing that bugs ME is, if it hadn't been for the mainstream media, I doubt they'd ever know they'd been called NHHs. I can't imagine they watch a lot of Imus. I feel bad for the girls, but if they were embarrassed, then the network news stations were as much to blame as anyone.
I'm am sure they are only "traumatized" to get some sort of gain out of it. If they are going to let one stupid comment, which I'm sure is probably not the worst thing they've heard unfortunately, ruin their lives, they're not very strong people to begin with.
post #114 of 118
amen,

i hope he wins, sounds like he has a real leg to stand on..and you know what, he doesn't need this money i bet he'll donate it to charity.

hope he gets on satellite radio soon.
post #115 of 118
I have a different theory about why he was fired when he was and I would like to bounce it off of you guys.

I think his WIFE Deirdre has been a thorn in the side of some large corporations, like manufacturer of Windex, that they kept trashing on the air, pharmaceutical companies, with them linking thimerosal with autism etc etc. She has been on a one-woman crusade to force her vegan/green views on anyone who would listen, and used his $$ to make herself famous. OK you can tell this is not a lady I would care to go out and drink an organic beer with-anyone who feeds their dog a vegetarian diet loses my sympathy.

Well she was about to appear on the Today show to plug her book, but the Imus firing pretty much torpedoed it.
http://www.tmz.com/2007/04/11/casual...hes-book-tour/

My theory is that CBS wanted to take HER out for offending all of those sponsors over the years and carefully chose the time when it would hurt HER the most. The fact is, with his mouth you would have about five or six opportunities every day to fire him that would be at least as offensive or considered just cause as the "Happy Nose" remark.

What do you guys think?
post #116 of 118
i agree I dont think it makes him racist. I really have never listened to the guy but the comment itself doesnt meen he is racist. It was just a dumb thing to say and he just didnt think before saying it. If I said there is a bunch of white trash living on my street it doesnt make me racist. TO me it is the same thing or close.
post #117 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
I have a different theory about why he was fired when he was and I would like to bounce it off of you guys.

I think his WIFE Deirdre has been a thorn in the side of some large corporations, like manufacturer of Windex, that they kept trashing on the air, pharmaceutical companies, with them linking thimerosal with autism etc etc. She has been on a one-woman crusade to force her vegan/green views on anyone who would listen, and used his $$ to make herself famous. OK you can tell this is not a lady I would care to go out and drink an organic beer with-anyone who feeds their dog a vegetarian diet loses my sympathy.

Well she was about to appear on the Today show to plug her book, but the Imus firing pretty much torpedoed it.
http://www.tmz.com/2007/04/11/casual...hes-book-tour/

My theory is that CBS wanted to take HER out for offending all of those sponsors over the years and carefully chose the time when it would hurt HER the most. The fact is, with his mouth you would have about five or six opportunities every day to fire him that would be at least as offensive or considered just cause as the "Happy Nose" remark.

What do you guys think?
um, i don't think it really had anything to do with it - i mean cbs/msnbc would have had to pay sharpton and jackson to contribute in the way they did. . . .and THAT would have become public knowledge like *snap* that.......i think that perhaps msnbc/cbs wanted him out and were just looking for a reason, they didn't really pick a good reason, but it was a reason none-the-less.

ren.
post #118 of 118
This issue fires me up! I despise Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson soooooo much!! I think they keep the racism going with their "black clubs", "black marches", etc. Why does it have to be "black". Let the White people make a club or a march that is specifically for their race and watch out! All H**L will break loose for sure!
One time after this Imus stuff happened, I was looking on a live search engine (Cha-Cha search) for clubs just for whites (only to see if they existed). They asked what me to be more specific--and I said, Like Al Sharpton has the NAACP, what is there for white people? After 10 minutes of her looking, I responded, "Can't find anything? I didn't think so--nothing exists for white people". I got kicked off the search engine for being inappropriate!!!
I think once folks of color stop "segregating" themselves, the rest of the world would. And throw up the race card? OMG!! Almost every black person that I've had work for me and has been disciplined or fired, has had some snide comment about its because they're black.
Al Sharpton personifies racism!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Don Imus Racial Remarks and the double standard?