People Who Do Not Own Cats

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you find that people who do not own cats or people who do not like cats are not happy? (just cats now, never mind dogs and other pets)

I have been taking a personal poll of my own and I have found people who do not like cats or do now own one would fare much better in life if they owned a cat.

I have noticed cat owners are MUCH happier than non-cat owners.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother hasn't had a cat in probably 30 or more years, since mum was a teen, and she is a very happy person. But she's changed alot since my grandfather passed away as she was sort of opressed. My dads parents i remember them having a jack russell and she passed away when i was little, maybe 18 years ago. They aren't always happy. But mainly papa has health problems so i think a pet would take their mind off it, but my nana had never seemed like a pet person. Tristans family is very eclectic and bright and theyve always had cats/dogs/ducks/chickens/rat etc so i think the animals make them much brighter than alot of non pet owners.

It depends on the person as well i suppose. My aunt and uncle had two malimutes for most of my life, they passed on, then last year they got two new big puppies to fill the void, theyve never had and never will have kids (i am the ONLY grandchild on mums side) and they are really snobby and care alot about the decor of their house and if someone gives them towels or something that is the wrong colour (true story) they will return them.

No, pets do not always make them happy.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it has to do with the person, NOT the pets. I know a woman with 3 cats who is always miserable. She loves her cats to pieces, but SHE is the only one that can make her life better.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Do you find that people who do not own cats or people who do not like cats are not happy? (just cats now, never mind dogs and other pets)

I have been taking a personal poll of my own and I have found people who do not like cats or do now own one would fare much better in life if they owned a cat.

I have noticed cat owners are MUCH happier than non-cat owners.
I have not found this to be true at all in my own personal experience.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about that..But I do know that people without pets think that I am crazy for having so many...They tend to think there is something wrong with my head..

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe pet owners in general would be happier then non pet owners but of course there are always gonna be the few that are miserable no matter what ya do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

and they are really snobby and care alot about the decor of their house and if someone gives them towels or something that is the wrong colour (true story) they will return them.

No, pets do not always make them happy.
Maybe the question should have been: Do you think people are more materialistic who do not own any pets?

Yes, that's it. I know some people like that! I have been to their homes and their homes look like they belong on the cover of Better Homes & Gardens, but, somehow it seems so empty without a pet inside.

Martha Stewart does not live at my house.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Maybe the question should have been: Do you think people are more materialistic who do not own any pets?

Yes, that's it. I know some people like that! I have been to their homes and their homes look like they belong on the cover of Better Homes & Gardens, but, somehow it seems so empty without a pet inside.

Martha Stewart does not live at my house.
LOL...it IS in my experience, myself included, that pet owners are sloppier housekeepers than non-pet owners.
If you can call that materialistic?

I've learned to live with a fine layer of cat hair all over everything.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

LOL...it IS in my experience, myself included, that pet owners are sloppier housekeepers than non-pet owners.

hey me too!!!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know I would be pretty miserable and unhappy if I didn't have my cats. All 8 of them.

I can't fathom a household without pets.

I have known people who have wonderful cats, and yet who were miserly beings.

I have also known people who do NOT have cats and who are happy.

It's all a matter of preference.

Some peeps who don't have ANY pets or any kids, it's just them and another adult or just THEM ALONE, they don't know what it's like to cuddle & snuggle with a sweet lil furball or walk the dog on a pretty day. So yah, they might miss out on those finer moments of life; like, watching your cat run madly through the house, huffing and puffing, and ending up beating up a sock just because he felt like it. Funny (and loving) moments galore are missed by people who don't have pets.

But it's all a preference of course! People who don't have kids miss out on a lot, too. I can say that cuz I have 2 kids.

Re: that fine layer of cat hair... yup... I would feel real weird and useless if I came home to a spotless, clean home. I like the madness, and my babies provide that for me. I would be awfully BORED with life without all of them!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's the person. I love Reeses to death but I can't say that I'm more happy now than before I got her. She can definately put a smile on my face, but she doesn't change things that are making me unhappy in my life.

I could see it I suppose if the reason why I was unhappy (or anyone who felt that way) was because I was lonely, because they make great companions. Any pet does...except fish. They just float there

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I would be miserable if I didn't have my dogs and cats that I have now or be without animals. Some people may not be able to have animals and they don't like animals and that's fine..but I tend to like people more that love animals.
since it's easier to talk to them IMO.. some people shouldn't be allowed to own animals, period. this quote says it all and is my favorite quote ever and it's so true!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have been in the most beautiful homes, really, I felt like I were in a museum, well an empty museum.

Through the years I am finding myself slipping with the dusting and the nit-pick stuff. I keep the floors, bathrooms, and heavy living areas clean. But no more nit-picking, I need to save my energy for my precious cats.

My mil always compares houses
, (whose is more well kept, who has better curtains) (by the way, no pets in her house) (and she brags in front of me) she has many daughters and she is always comparing, well, I can tell you I am not at the top of the list, and I really don't care, I have my cats and she does not.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Well they are pet owners, but snobs.

It's not that most of us are sloppy, but our kitties drool, sleep, claw and shed on everything :p It's hard to keep up! Lol

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily- i think it just depends on the individual. I've known several people who owned kitties to be sad/depressed....so it just depends. And on the other hand i've known other s who own dogs/other animals to be just as happy as can be. I think it just depends on the individual
But there have been studies linking animal owners living longer lives because petting animals/living with them can help reduce stress. I guess it just depends!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's just cat's necessarily. I think people with any kind of pets are generally happier people.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can speak for is myself and when I am not with my pets and when I went through a short spell without them I am empty without pets in my life.