How many cats is too many?

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love cats... I have ended up with more cats than most people, because I have taken in some unwanted and some stray cats. Now people think I'm crazy and call me "cat lady" and "cat collector". What is your opinion of too many cats? How many is too many? I don't feel I'm a "cat collector", etc., I just like cats and I enjoy taking care of them and watching them play, they are quite entertaining sometimes. I would also rather take in a homeless cat and find a home for it than let it starve. I take care of all of them, they all get attention at least the ones that want attention, a few are loners and would rather not have attention. They are all fed and watered daily. I don't see what the problem could possibly be. I have 15 cats, and recently gave two away. I have a few of them that I am currently looking for homes for, when I find homes for them I will have them go to a new home. I've heard of people having more cats than that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a person can't afford to provide even the most basic required medical care, spay/neuter and treating colds. Cannot afford to feed their pets and cannot clean up after them. For some people even one animal is too much for them to be responsible for.

Understandably, sometimes the unthinkable happens and someone may end up with a huge medical bill that really pushes the finances, but they provide the care needed anyways.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

When a person can't afford to provide even the most basic required medical care, spay/neuter and treating colds. Cannot afford to feed their pets and cannot clean up after them. For some people even one animal is too much for them to be responsible for.
Yep will agree with that. For me my limit is 2. due to the clean up part

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its however many you can fiancialy, physicaly and emotionaly care for. dont worry I get all the crazy cat lady comments too..

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Understandably, sometimes the unthinkable happens and someone may end up with a huge medical bill that really pushes the finances, but they provide the care needed anyways.
I agree with that. And for right now Tavia is my limit but once I get things better situated I want a second cat. I just can't right now I live with my dad and he loves Tavia but does not want another cat here.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Its however many you can fiancialy, physicaly and emotionaly care for. dont worry I get all the crazy cat lady comments too..
I couldnt of put it better myself, i only have 6 only if my dad would go for one more
but like i said i couldnt have put it better myself, and of course I am called the crazy cat lady and i am only 18
my neighbor has 12 indoor kitties and she feeds 2 ferals as well! It all depends on how u are financially capable and emotionally and physically capable u are!

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some folks out there don't deserve even one!! I was watching Pets 24/7 on TV last week and there was an awful woman with so many cats she didn't know how many she had. They all lived in her house which was FILTHY - they just messed all over the floor and must have been so miserable - she said she loved them and cared for them but didn't even provide for their most basic needs!
Some were ill, but she said she didn't bother taking them to the vets because she couldn't afford it - so instead she said 'I just do some healing on them instead - they are fine'. They very obviously weren't fine at all. Thank heavens they were all taken away from her to be rehomed.

As long as they are all well fed, clean, cared for and loved with the space they need to run and play happily, then you don't have too many! We had 4 till recently which I reckon is about my limit!!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And as long as you are actually finding homes for some of them, then you don't fall into the category of collector or hoarder.

If taking care of them is within your means, you keep your litter boxes clean, you can afford the vet care for all of them, and you have no difficulty in feeding them, then you aren't in a situation where you have "too many."

If, however, you find yourself NOT being able to meet all their needs, but think that they are better off with you than anywhere else, even if you can't afford to feed/vet them, then you DO have a problem and need to get some help, along with giving up some of the cats.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with this and I also think you need to make sure the cats have enough space.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get called that all the time from family and friends,lol.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to have one cat for 8 years then we adopted Cassy (stray) last year. It can get expensive (vets, catsitter, etc.)

I say anyone can have as many cats as they want as long as they get proper vet care, good food and lots of love.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Exactly...

I figured one more cat and a dog , tortise or pig
.. is all I can emotionally handle

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a person can't afford to provide even the most basic required medical care, spay/neuter and treating colds. Cannot afford to feed their pets and cannot clean up after them. For some people even one animal is too much for them to be responsible for
This pretty much sums it all up for me as well.

I have two cats, I would love to have a couple more but for me it is a matter of space. I have a small apartment and even with only two cats it sometimes gets very crowded when they decided to tear around.
Things like food, medical care, and emergency care should all be factored in when deciding just how many pets to have.
How much time can you spend with them, how much time do you have to clean up after them, are more determining factors.

Both of my cats were obtained from the local Humane Society, and needless to say everytime I have visited that establishment I would have liked to bring half the animals there.
But, I don't have the resources, time, or space to do that.

However, I take comfort in the fact at least I have been able to give a least two unwanted cats a great home and life.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey, I'm called the Crazy Cat lady by my family, and I just have my 2 boys inside but I feed a colony of 3-5 outside!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think space is a little bit less of an issue. After all, there are a few members here who live in small apartments and have multiple kitties.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think space is a little bit less of an issue. After all, there are a few members here who live in small apartments and have multiple kitties.
True, but if you live in a small apartment and have 10 inside kitties, then you're probably not putting the kitties needs first
At a certain point, space does come into it!

critter crazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I myself have set my Limit at Two! Primarily because Of all of the other animals I have. I would love to have more, but know Financially it is not feasable.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others. It depends on how many you're personally able to afford and care for. For me, three is the limit due to my job and travel schedule. That's the most I can handle with the job I have now. I'd love to have a dog or two, too, but I know that I couldn't take care of them in the way I'd want to.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup I am def.the crazy cat lady, we are at..18 right now.with one more going tohis new home shortly so that will be 17...but you would never know it. And thats not just my opinion, lol i recently had a couple over looking at a kitten, and they couldnt belive we had that many kitties.But taking care of them is a full time job. But I personally wouldnt have it any other way.

victimofchanges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally have 2 cats a snake and now and then a rat. I live in a house that has 3 other cats and a few more pets.... Space is deffinetly a problem that needs to be looked at. When You get a new cat it needs its own little spot in the house where it feels safe and where it does not have to worry about having the other animals already living there telling them to go away. when we brought the 5th cat home from my house it took him some time to work himself into our family of cats. We made sure that he had his own bed and a space in our house (my parents room) to himself for a few weeks before the other cats were let in for more then a few mins at a time. Now he sleeps on their bed with their other cats and his personal space is my fathers work chair.