Food Posessiveness

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buddy has always been growly over the things he really likes. I can manage it most of the time, but there's still one thing I can't stop him from freaking out over: his bone-meals. (They're raw fed, I give them ground up premade stuff most of the time, but about once a week or so they get a bone-meal for their teeth. Usually chicken necks or quail pieces).

Tonight was especially bad. Turkey neck (thanks Easter! lol), split in half between the two of them. Buddy got growly the insant the bowl was on the ground (they eat in their bowls, no matter what the meal), and continued to growl throughout his chewing, occasionally stopping to warn off Nya or I. If either of us even LOOKED at him, he'd freak out. And if Nya or I stepped toward him (she likes to investigate if he's got anything better than her), he freaked growling and ran off with the neck in his mouth. I had to chase him down and take the food back 3 times, to return it to the bowl. The last time he actually lashed out at me (which he's never done before). This is why I'm concerned now, he's actually taken it farther than normal.

I've tried all the tricks I know for dogs, nothing seems to be working to settle him down. It would be easier if he didn't only get this posessive over the things he liked MOST, as I can't do the "switch-out for something better" thing.

He's definatley gotten better. He used to get possessive and growly over anything, wet food that was really tasty, treats, etc. But this is the one thing I can't seem to get him to relax over. Any ideas? Or am I just going to have to leave him alone?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this isn't a direct way of solving it, but if it's a problem, what about feeding him in the bathroom with the door closed? Then he wont feel like he's competing for his dinner.
We have a couple of cats who are the oposite and get nervous enough they wont eat unless they're in a seperate room...maybe he just needs some alone time with his dinner?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I considered this, but I'm not comfortable leaving him unattended with this type of meal... he tries to eat it so quickly, I'm afraid he'll choke, and feel it's necessary that they both be supervised.

But then again, I'm like this with dogs chewing things too... if it's anything that has even the slightest risk of breaking off in chunks and choking them, I'm there watching. Just incase.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a little guy who used to be just like yours. From the first solid meal he ate he has been growling to the others to keep them away. He also finnish his food as fast as possible to steal the others.
When I give them candy (raw beef) I cut his peices small and I keep him next to me while the others are eating.
I have thought him to sit nice before he has every peice. This way I keep him busy longer and he is so catched by the game that he leaves the others alone. No growling anymore.

To teach him I had him alone, teasing him with the meat a bit up in the air while I repeated the word sit. He jumped a few times but the second he sat down (almost) between the jumps I gave him the first peice. Then I repeated it untill he got it. It took about two times ten minutes to teach him the command.

Now I can give him a few peices at the time and he stays busy with his food and keep his attention to me the second it's finished since I have the rest.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so instinctive for them to immediately pull a 'natural' (and much better tasting) meal like that out of their bowls and a little away from other cats, can you not allow it when they have such meals? It makes them feel good, a little wild maybe, and they have no clue why we fuss about bowls and things. I always let ours do that and just wipe over the chosen spot afterward.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
feed them both in a closed room with you watch or just feed them one at a time in a closed room

also try not touch the catwhen hes eating

I know dogs that get like this over food are dangerous but thats because of their size ii have never heard horror storiesabout cats being overly protective of their food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

feed them both in a closed room with you watch or just feed them one at a time in a closed room

also try not touch the catwhen hes eating

I know dogs that get like this over food are dangerous but thats because of their size ii have never heard horror storiesabout cats being overly protective of their food
THe not touching is a DANGEROUS IDEA ... I have such a dog and I taught her NOT TOO ... it was fairly easy

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try just moving their bowls farther away from each other so that you can still see them both but they have more space from each other. Or, you can try feeding him in the bathroom with you in there with him.

My male cat is dominant over my female cat and I have to fend him off because he will leave his bowl to eat her food and push her out of the way. So I push his head away with my finger or hand and tell him no and he gets that it is hers. If she approaches him while he eats wet or raw, he will growl and hiss and (if it's solid) will take the food in his mouth and move it to a farther spot. I don't blame him...I don't like people eating off my plate or picking at my food either when I'm hungry and have something really good. So I put newspaper down so he doesn't get the floor dirty...he never goes far.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's the other cat that is scaring him while he eats and he should be able to feel at peace when he eats. But certainly do what you think is right.