To rehome, or not to rehome...

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I have been thinking about Mika, and her babies, and I am wondering if I really should rehome her.. Along with Smokie.. My step-grandpa, got to me, he said that we should take them to the Humane Society..
And I am thinking now that I should..
Terrible I know.. But they will get spayed there, and their shots, and have a much better life won't they? I don't know what to do...
I don't want to get rehome her, but I am thinking that will be best for them.. They will get a loving home, and everything... I don't know what to do!! My mom said I shouldn't rehome them.. But I don't know.. I don't know what to do!! Thank you for reading, any advice would be lovely..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are cats.. And outdoors, and not allowed inside..

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you.. are they your cats that had kittens or are they wild?

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They aren't wild, and Mika is expecting kittens, and Smokie won't come out of the doghouse we provided her, it is also Mika's.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry I am confused. I would bring Mika inside now because when she does have kittens because after having a litter she can go out and get pregnant again right after she has the litter and you wouldn't want that and it is kitten season now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IF your local humane society adopts out "outdoor or barn cats" then yes it is an option since I am guessing you dont have the time or $$ to spay and give shots ??

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Countryside Animal Rescue will put her in a foster home. With Smokie. Am I making the right decision?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From my view yes... a rescue wont often put down an animal and they may get her to the pt she could be a indoor cat

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well if its the right decision for you then the answer is yes. You know your situation and you need to do what you think is best. We are here to support you in whatever you decide.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spirita2010

The Countryside Animal Rescue will put her in a foster home. With Smokie. Am I making the right decision?
Yes, so they won't get put down.

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever I let Mika in, she uses the litter box.
Its just, she gets onto tables, and everything, lol, and sleeps on the table. My mom would've flipped if she saw Mika on her table..

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats like high places and well tables counter tops whatever if its high they think they own it. But you can teach them to stay off the tables. Im not really understanding the prob. There are alot of different ways to keep her off the table if thats the only prob.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, from the info I've gathered in reading your other posts, it is your parents that are the bigger issue here...refusing to spay her, and allowing her to become pregnant OVER and OVER AGAIN is so highly irresponsible, and neglectful, I can't even tell you. I know you want her spayed, and you want to do the right thing more than anything in your situation. It seems to me that while your parents may love the cats, they are either under-educated in regards to normal cat behavior, and the importance of having your pets altered...either that, or they just don't give a rip either way. It's sad, all the way around, and I definitely feel for you at your young age, when it is so much harder to truly have control over certain aspects of life.

I think most of us on here would be marveling at your emotional maturity and strength if you did decide to re-home Mika and Stormie...it's a heart-breaking and very difficult decision to make. I could also understand why you would choose to not re-home them...however, be prepared for pro-longed heartache and stress in knowing that Mika will continue to not be spayed, and allowed to breed and reproduce indiscriminately...which is every bit as unfair and wrong as people have described to you. A single queen can be responsible for the production of 45,000 cats/kittens in a 5 year period, including the births of her own offspring. That's 45,000 more cats and kittens that will most likely end up in shelters, as strays and ferals, and will most likely never know what a real home is with love and human companionship. But, the cycle with Mika can stop with you...and it would be a decision made out of love, and the desire for something better for her and her kittens.

Whatever you decide to do is entirely that...YOUR DECISION. And if the situation does not improve with your parents, and their ability to provide what pets need (speutering, indoor shelter, etc.) does not turn around in the very near future, I know that many of us here on TCS would understand if you made the decision to surrender Mika to a no-kill rescue or shelter.

I would also refrain from taking in any more cats or kittens, or dogs, until your parents come around and see how important it is to have your pets altered...you don't want to surrender your cats, only to bring other animals into the same scenario.

Take care, and know that we'll support whatever you decide.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its your decision. But IMO i do not think that you shoud. I have reasons why but i'm just gonnna stick with that.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the choice is:
A) Mika to stay & continue to have litter after litter & her babies reproduce as well
B) Surrender her & her babies where they will be altered

Then I go for B. Mika & her babies all need to be fixed. We have had farm cats for years. There was only one...& the next summer there was 20. The cat population is so out of control now....if your parents do not want to spay her & her babies, then IMO, the right choice is to surrender her.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If the choice is:
A) Mika to stay & continue to have litter after litter & her babies reproduce as well
B) Surrender her & her babies where they will be altered

Then I go for B. Mika & her babies all need to be fixed. We have had farm cats for years. There was only one...& the next summer there was 20. The cat population is so out of control now....if your parents do not want to spay her & her babies, then IMO, the right choice is to surrender her.

I agree 110% with this. If she and her offspring can't be spayed, they would be better off going somewhere where that will happen.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that you can save up the money to spay her, and have your sister drive her there?

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are programs that will spay/neuter a cat for next to nothing. SpayUSA and I forget what the other one is, but if you contact local rescue groups or your humane society, I'm sure they could point you in the direction of one. I think your only two options are to get the cats spayed yourself, or to give them to someone who will. It's just not fair to knowingly allow them to keep breeding and reproducing, when there are already so many unwanted cats in the world.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think rehoming might be the best choice as well. I think Mika needs a home where she can get spayed and get her vaccinations, and get to come in. We already talked about this on another forum. I think it's a great and mature thing to consider what would be best for your cat but very hard for you, and I give you kudos for that.