Do I? Don't I?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm considering applying for a job at the base....in the vet clinic! It's basically an office position. They have 1 vet and 1 tech. I used to take my girls there when DH was still in the military.

I loved the vet there and the tech was really nice. I don't remember the lady who had the position thats opening now too much. They don't do surgeries or emergency care there. I don't believe they do any PTSing either, since it is a small facility. It's also a NAF position, so I'd be a federal employee, though it's not quite the same as a civil service position.

Here's where my biggest down point is: I might take about a $4/hr pay cut. Work was driving me insane today. I had to go practically lock myself in my boss' office (she wasn't in today) before I said or did something I'd regret. It was awful. I just kept telling myself 'at least you haven't ended up in the bathroom crying yet!' I always cry when I get mad. I'm not a big crier, but if I'm mad and frustrated enough I cry.

DH is for it, if it will make me happier. I keep telling myself that I won't know anything unless I apply. And I don't have to take it right? Any advice or thoughts?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you'll still be able to cover bills and pay off any existing debts I'd say go for it. I am very much of the belief that NOT being miserable for 35-40 (or more!) hours a week is something that money can't buy. I currently work (for the next week
) at a part time job that I love. We can cover the bills but don't have a lot of cash spare. But I am HAPPY! Extra money would not be adequate compensation if I were miserable at work - once those hours you spend at work are gone, they are gone, you can't buy them back, and you only live once. If you see what I mean.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like Epona said, if you are able to pay bills/debts and if it will make you happier - why not! I am sending you get the job vibes!

Good Luck.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the rest. It is $640 pay cut per month (20 working days, 8 hours). If you can without $640 / month, go for it.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

They don't do surgeries or emergency care there. I don't believe they do any PTSing either, since it is a small facility.
I'm not familiar with military vet clinics, but can't quite imagine what a certified veterinarian actually does if he/she doesn't provide emergency care or euthanize injured or suffering animals. So your pet gets sick, they treat it, but when/if the time comes to put them to sleep, they send clients elsewhere? If an animal is struck by a car or is torched by some dumbass kid, they refuse it? I'm not doubting what you're saying, it just seems odd.

Euthanizing animals was the very worst part of working at a clinic for me. And from an injury and cruelty standpoint, you just see some ugly things that stick in your mind. I miss parts of working in a clinic very much, but I don't miss going home with something horrible burned in my mind forever. Just make sure you have a good understanding of what you may be exposed to. On good days it can the most wonderful job in the world.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

DH is for it, if it will make me happier. I keep telling myself that I won't know anything unless I apply. And I don't have to take it right? Any advice or thoughts?
Many valid points already made, and the one I would emphasize is that sometimes you have to make that application and follow the process in order to find out whether you want it or not. If you still want the job when they offer it to you, fine. But you may discover somewhere along the way that the fit doesn't feel right, and then you'll be able to walk away from it. If you don't make the application, you'll never know. AND you'll be no farther ahead in your current situation.

I'd say, check it out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with going ahead and applying. You'll find out more in the process. It does sound like a great job - and I'm all for enjoying your job even if it means less money- but Cinder made a very good point about the abuse you'll see too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I'm not familiar with military vet clinics, but can't quite imagine what a certified veterinarian actually does if he/she doesn't provide emergency care or euthanize injured or suffering animals. So your pet gets sick, they treat it, but when/if the time comes to put them to sleep, they send clients elsewhere? If an animal is struck by a car or is torched by some dumbass kid, they refuse it? I'm not doubting what you're saying, it just seems odd.
It's a very small clinic. A small lobby, a small office, and 2 exam rooms is about it. (besides a supply room) The vet does basic routine care, shots and exams and what not. Also illness and bloodwork, but it is not equipped to handle surgeries and things. So yes, some things they wouldn't be able to help with. But then this is not a public clinic at all. There are plenty of vets in our area capable of handling that care. Also, closer to where these emergencies are more likely to occur. If some military member's kid abused an animal, you can bet your panties the parent will be answering to their superiors. If it's a case where the animal was hit, say on base housing, well they'd be questioned why their animal was outside unleashed in the first place. Base housing is still guarded most of the time here, so anyone not authorized needs to be brought on to base or base housing by someone with that authority.

From the times I've been to the clinic, it's not very busy. Of course only military personnel (active or retired) can use the clinic so that cuts a lot down. I think they also do exams/vaccinations for people PCSing to overseas bases who want to take pets with them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you have to consider more than just money when you're looking at another job- it sounds like a good job- and if you will be happier- that will improve your mood, your quality of life, and also reduce stress- stress can cause a number of health issues and other problems- so what you would loose in the pay cut you'd make up for in your new job!!!! I would take it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Money shouldn't be your God.

You need to do what is best for you and what makes you happy. However, it's also important to realize that the grass still needs mowing on the otherside of the fence, even though it may look greener initially.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a good deal.

When I was working weekends at the clinic I was making $6-7 an hour less than my real job. But I was able to get a huge discounts on the vet services and meds, plus learned a great deal about symptoms and treatment. Front desk is an important position and you'll learn alot. Each time someone calls and asks a question, you learn something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

It sounds like a good deal.

When I was working weekends at the clinic I was making $6-7 an hour less than my real job. But I was able to get a huge discounts on the vet services and meds, plus learned a great deal about symptoms and treatment. Front desk is an important position and you'll learn alot. Each time someone calls and asks a question, you learn something.
That's one of my concerns for getting the job. Besides the paycut. I only have my experience as a pet owner and what I've learned on here (which is a lot!) behind me in that regard.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

That's one of my concerns for getting the job. Besides the paycut. I only have my experience as a pet owner and what I've learned on here (which is a lot!) behind me in that regard.
Aside from those people who go to school to be certified techs, that is pretty much what everyone starts with. I was a TNR volunteer when one of the vets approached me about an opening they had.