Need To Vent

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just last month I posted about my husband and I having to put our beloved Toby to sleep. My husband took this very hard as this was his "buddy" that he had since he was a kitten. Toby was 17 almost 18 when he passed.

My husband did not handle it well at all and was under emotional duress. I guess he didn't sleep for several days and the day after we put Toby to sleep he reported to work hoping to take his mind off things. Well, he hadn't slept for 2 days and he is a delivery driver. Rather than risk getting into an accident he decided to pull over and take a rest because he was so emotionally drained. He ended up falling asleep for several hours instead of trying to drive. His direct supervisor understood his heart ache and told him not to let it happen again. Well, 3 weeks went by and his corporate office decided that this was not acceptable and they didn't really consider that emotional duress (losing a pet) and they ended up terminating him. How inconsiderate is that. They would rather he risk getting into an accident rather than trying to refresh himself. They wouldn't even give him a warning or anything.

I can't believe people can be so heartless. It is so awful because we had to put our cat to sleep and it caused my husband to lose his job.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats awful! Can they just let him go like that? Is that even legal? Gosh, some people have no heart!

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is awfull maybe he should ask them if he cat take a few days off as holiday? It's not worth risking his life driving in an unfit state of mind.
I know this is not the same thing but my little brother is 20 years of age and last saturday lost his two best friends in a fatal car crash, his boss gave him 3 DAYS!! and said the rest has to be his holiday, i cant belive some people i know they have a bussiness to run but its just silly!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by troublesome2

That is awfull maybe he should ask them if he cat take a few days off as holiday? It's not worth risking his life driving in an unfit state of mind.
I know this is not the same thing but my little brother is 20 years of age and last saturday lost his two best friends in a fatal car crash, his boss gave him 3 DAYS!! and said the rest has to be his holiday, i cant belive some people i know they have a bussiness to run but its just silly!
That's common with alot of jobs. I had a co-worker who's AUNT died, and my job put his absense to go to the funeral on his record. Their policy is that it's only excuseable if it's immediate family.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we put Zen down, we both had to go to work right afterwards, and it was the worst night we both had. At least Dh's workplace understood and left him alone for the most part, mine was horrible and I was balling most of the night. I just wanted to go home. I'll never do it again. If something happens to one of our animals, I'll take the day off, I can't go to work like that again, I was a mess and nothing got accomplished.

You poor things. I can't believe they would be so heartless and fire him without so much as hearing his side of the story.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd try to get ahold of a lawyer. One of my jobs while I was in college was for a moving company. It is the law that drivers have to have a designated amount of sleep or they can't be on the road. It's against the law for a company to put a driver that has not had enough of his sleep onto the road.

There are a million things they can say to make the firing legit, but it can't hurt to see a lawyer that will consult for free.