TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Hill's Dry Prescription C/D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hill's Dry Prescription C/D

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi All - I've read many threads on here about how terrible Hill's food is and how awful the ingredients are. Simba was just put on this by my vet a fews weeks ago for his cystitis issues. I'm wondering if he should be eating something else. I'm not a cat food connoiseur, so I took the vet's word that this food would help with his urinary issues. I've read on here that a wet food diet is the best way to go, but he will only eat dry. He is 8 years old and has only eaten dry his entire life. He doesn't even like tuna! Should I stick with the Hill's C/D or switch to something different?
post #2 of 16
Okay...

RX food is like a human medicine... Use it as directed and then talk with your vet after you research Possiblealternatives....
post #3 of 16
Have you looked at this site: www.catinfo.org ?

It has some really great tips on transition a dry food addict to wet food. Wet really is best in this situation, and I'd look into feeding a high quality, grain free wet food. Do your reading, get yourself prepared and armed with the right information, and maybe your vet will be willing to help.
post #4 of 16
I've been feeding Zoey c/d for about 4 years now. I am not too thrilled with the ingredients, but for me I would rather have her on the proper food for her condition. She has been symptom free since she's been on the c/d and her coat is still soft and shiny and she is very healthy. So its really up to you if you want to search for an alternative.
post #5 of 16
Hills has its place and with your cat's diet may be one of those places. If your cat is doing well on it, I wouldn't change right now. Or check with your vet before you do.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicycat View Post
I've been feeding Zoey c/d for about 4 years now. I am not too thrilled with the ingredients, but for me I would rather have her on the proper food for her condition. She has been symptom free since she's been on the c/d and her coat is still soft and shiny and she is very healthy. So its really up to you if you want to search for an alternative.
It is because of stories like Sicycat's that I do always try to mention that the C/D food (dry or wet) has helped a lot of cats, and as the others said, it has it's place.

Now with that disclaimer out of the way...It was not the answer for my cat, but I did give it more than a year before settling on a new plan, and I did eventually get my vet's clearance on it. I'm thankful now that I did that, as Beandip's finally doing well and if I do have a problem, I can ask his doctor because we're on the "same page" on this issue now.

What has Simba's pH been? I'm just curious.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
I will give the C/D a try to see if it is going to help. He has only been on it now for 3 weeks along with the Cosequin. I'm hoping between the two he will improve.

I have no idea about his PH. My vet didn't mention that at all when the urinalysis came back. The only thing she said that stood out was the fact that his glucose levels in the urine were high and that is when we did the diabetes test which came back normal. I will definitely find out about that next time.

I'm so glad Beandip is doing well. It can be so frustrating. Do you have any idea if this is a cycle/pattern that runs it's course? Kind of like... goes into remission and then flares up again? I'm thinking I see a pattern here. He seems to be fine for about 10-12 days; then he has a flare-up that usually last for 2 days; and then back to normal again. Do you know of any other medications for the discomfort? I currently have Phenoxybenzamine and Metacam. The Metacam seems to work almost immediately, but I am afraid to give him that because of the kidney side effects.
post #8 of 16
Beandip just curious what are you feeding now?

When I first found out Zoey had crystals/urinary issues it was because she had a bladder infection. She was prescribed Baytril because she vomits on Clavamox. Well the Baytril cleared it right up! (terrible huge horse pills though). She hasnt had a bladder infection since then and she's had checkups and urinalysis' over the last 4 years and has not had any more issues or crystals so I really think the c/d diet is responsible for her stablization. Of course, every cat is different and every cat can respond differently to foods and meds. Wishing you all the luck!
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2furbabies View Post
I will give the C/D a try to see if it is going to help. He has only been on it now for 3 weeks along with the Cosequin. I'm hoping between the two he will improve.

I have no idea about his PH. My vet didn't mention that at all when the urinalysis came back. The only thing she said that stood out was the fact that his glucose levels in the urine were high and that is when we did the diabetes test which came back normal. I will definitely find out about that next time.

I'm so glad Beandip is doing well. It can be so frustrating. Do you have any idea if this is a cycle/pattern that runs it's course? Kind of like... goes into remission and then flares up again? I'm thinking I see a pattern here. He seems to be fine for about 10-12 days; then he has a flare-up that usually last for 2 days; and then back to normal again. Do you know of any other medications for the discomfort? I currently have Phenoxybenzamine and Metacam. The Metacam seems to work almost immediately, but I am afraid to give him that because of the kidney side effects.
It would be interesting to know Simba's pH. That's one thing that the C/D is formulated to do (bring a high pH down to 6.2-6.4). The other thing it is supposed to do is cause the cat to drink more/urinate more, and then consequently drink more again to replenish the fluids. I did notice a difference, they drank more on the dry c/d than on other dry foods.

From my experience and reading, it does cycle. Simba's cycles are more frequent than Beandip's were. I'd say we had an episode every 6 weeks or so, for about a year. He had minor issues very intermittantly, for maybe 24-48 hours at a time inbetween the major ones, but the major relapses were every 6 weeks. Beandip was put on Prednisolone for the inflammation, rather than Metacam. We initially tried a normal "maintenance" dose, given every other day. That didn't help very much, and the vet increased that to every day. I do think it helped him. When he had a very bad relapse, she would give him a steroid shot. He always came back home as a brand new cat after those shots. Steroids do have long term risks...but in the short term I don't think it is as 'harsh' as Metacam. As of today, the vet gave me the ok to start weaning him off of the Prednisolone. Fingers crossed, but I think we'll be OK.

It was so interesting, throughout Beandip's long battle with this, he became more and more reclusive and anxious. So much so that he was also put on Prozac. The Prozac helped, but I can see now that his anxiety came from his bladder, and not his brain...if that makes sense. The reclusive behavior came on so gradually that I had forgotten what he used to be like. 2 weeks after changing his diet (and adding the acidifier to help...I'll get into that in a minute), he did a complete 180. He's out and about in the house all day, doesn't sleep under the bed, he plays with the kittens...it's absolutely amazing. And every time I scoop the litter boxes, I get a big grin on my face...his clumps are impressive these days.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicycat View Post
Beandip just curious what are you feeding now?

When I first found out Zoey had crystals/urinary issues it was because she had a bladder infection. She was prescribed Baytril because she vomits on Clavamox. Well the Baytril cleared it right up! (terrible huge horse pills though). She hasnt had a bladder infection since then and she's had checkups and urinalysis' over the last 4 years and has not had any more issues or crystals so I really think the c/d diet is responsible for her stablization. Of course, every cat is different and every cat can respond differently to foods and meds. Wishing you all the luck!
I tried to get Beandip on the wet C/D...he wasn't receptive. I tried regular wet cat foods, same story. I offered him Nature's Variety premade raw, and he took to it immedietely. He loves it. Basically my goal was a "wet" diet...and with Beandip's cooperation, we're there now. In order to keep him on a 100% wet diet, I had to quit feeding dry to the others. No other real practical way to handle it with 8 cats. I got them all converted (some canned, some raw)...so I probably could have worked with Beandip a bit more on the canned stuff, but I'm comfortable with the NV raw, and even better - he really likes it.

During the initial switch, Beandip had a strange bladder episode. I say strange because his results were almost perfect, pH was up a bit (7.0) but for the first time, they didn't find any crystals, blood, nor bacteria...more like Simba's problem. So, to be sure we're keeping Beandip out of the pH 'danger' zone, he does get an acidifier daily. I'm hoping we can lower the dose soon, as too much of that can be harmful. He's been like a new cat, so I think his next U/A will be looking very good.
post #11 of 16
I also feed my cat c/d. He had crystals in his urine yet the crystals are gone and he is still peeing and still on the c/d. hmm...is the food the problem? I'm getting his urine rechecked just in case.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluver27 View Post
I also feed my cat c/d. He had crystals in his urine yet the crystals are gone and he is still peeing and still on the c/d. hmm...is the food the problem? I'm getting his urine rechecked just in case.
When you say he's still "peeing" I would guess you mean peeing in the wrong place...

The only way to be sure the crystals are gone is with a microscope.

The worst thing that could happen with an rx food like this is that it might possibly not be the whole solution...it would NOT cause the problem it was meant to prevent. Although, the best thing for a cat with bladder issues is WET food...they do make wet c/d.

Definitely get your boy rechecked, as bladder problems that are allowed to get bad in a male can be life threatening.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
When you say he's still "peeing" I would guess you mean peeing in the wrong place...

The only way to be sure the crystals are gone is with a microscope.

The worst thing that could happen with an rx food like this is that it might possibly not be the whole solution...it would NOT cause the problem it was meant to prevent. Although, the best thing for a cat with bladder issues is WET food...they do make wet c/d.

Definitely get your boy rechecked, as bladder problems that are allowed to get bad in a male can be life threatening.
I do feed him the wet c/d also the wet w/d which is less in calories, because he is chunky. He does eat the dry as well. I am going to schedule him an appointment. I am just fed up, but I still love him and cuddle him. If I ever get upset at him, I just leave it alone, but then I go and snuggle and play with him because I am such a softy! haha. Once I get him checked out, I will let you know!
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluver27 View Post
I do feed him the wet c/d also the wet w/d which is less in calories, because he is chunky. He does eat the dry as well. I am going to schedule him an appointment. I am just fed up, but I still love him and cuddle him. If I ever get upset at him, I just leave it alone, but then I go and snuggle and play with him because I am such a softy! haha. Once I get him checked out, I will let you know!
Well wet food is very good for urinary problems...so that's good. W/d is supposed to aim for the same urine pH as c/d.

Let us know how it goes.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
I noticed Simba has been drinking more since switching to the C/D diet. I'm just wondering how long before I see results if the new food is going to help him or not. He's only be on it 3 weeks now. Guess I need to give it some time.

Like you said Beandip... I've also noticed that since this problem started Simba has become very anxious and unsettled; almost aggitated I would say. Last night he was very restless and was up all night which isn't like him at all. Normally he curls up next to me in the bed and sleeps thru the night. The strange thing is... his urinating habits are normal right now. He is going his regular amount and not jumping in and out of the boxes trying to go. So.... his behavior last night concerns me. I'll continue to monitor him closely.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2furbabies View Post
I noticed Simba has been drinking more since switching to the C/D diet. I'm just wondering how long before I see results if the new food is going to help him or not. He's only be on it 3 weeks now. Guess I need to give it some time.

Like you said Beandip... I've also noticed that since this problem started Simba has become very anxious and unsettled; almost aggitated I would say. Last night he was very restless and was up all night which isn't like him at all. Normally he curls up next to me in the bed and sleeps thru the night. The strange thing is... his urinating habits are normal right now. He is going his regular amount and not jumping in and out of the boxes trying to go. So.... his behavior last night concerns me. I'll continue to monitor him closely.
Yes, that's interesting about their behavior. I too noticed that Beandip was the same anxious cat, even when his urine volume and frequency were good. So that's the reason I thought it was just "Beandip being Beandip". I can't believe the difference now. On the same token, you could end up finding that the C/D and the Cosequin could have an equally positive effect on Simba as Beandip's new diet/medicine had on him...as every cat is different and these things can take time. I'm not sure how much time to give it. I would say at least a few months.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Hill's Dry Prescription C/D