Home phones, do you still have one?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a home phone still? So many people are getting rid of thier house phones and using their cell phones. Since I'll be out of a job soon, I need to cut corners.......give me some pros and cons..........

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do indeed, I do not have a cell phone, and God willing, I never will.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Years ago I ditched my home service and only used my cell phone. It worked well for me because I had an answering service. But, my cell went missing and I was without a phone. That day, my home service was started again and now I will never be without it. (There were plenty of pros to using just the cell, but losing it was the ultimate con.)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one, and Radar chewed it up.

So I got another - and Radar chewed it up.

At that point I gave up.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have my landline, but am starting to think about dropping it for good. I am now on DSL, my roomie now has his own cell phone and I've had one for a few years now...was just talking about this over the weekend, in fact, because we really never use the landline much except for local calls, and the $40 per month we spend for it really isn't worth it.

BUT...I have had that phone number for about 25 years and don't want to let go, LOL...I know you can transfer phone numbers, but I already have a cell number, so what would be the point of transferring?

Oh...I don't know what to do, so I am obviously no help at all.

Thanks for the GNOME, by the way.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... as of Friday we had one. Now, we've just unplugged it and are going with our cell phones. The only problem is that I have to have the phone service because that's how I get online!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Well... as of Friday we had one. Now, we've just unplugged it and are going with our cell phones. The only problem is that I have to have the phone service because that's how I get online!
We just have the cheapest/ most basic phone service so that we can have DSL. We don't have a phone hooked up because if we started taking or making calls it would be more expensive. We each have a cell phone anyway so we don't see the point in having a home phone.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I do indeed, I do not have a cell phone, and God willing, I never will.
I only have a home phone. My cable, internet and phone all come from the same place. It's a little expensive, but I have unlimited long distances any time in North America. I use my long distance every day because both my Dh's and my parents live many hours away and we keep in touch. I would never give up my home phone and that would seem very weird to me.

I don't understand how a person could be on the go so much that they wouldn't have a need for a home phone...WEIRD lol

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I don't understand how a person could be on the go so much that they wouldn't have a need for a home phone...WEIRD lol
We use our cell phones at home too

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it just seems odd...I always joke that I'm the last person in the free world to not have a cell phone. I just don't get them besides emergency use.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I know, it just seems odd...I always joke that I'm the last person in the free world to not have a cell phone. I just don't get them besides emergency use.
I've had one for a very long time, since 1997 when I was working away from home and was attacked by a strange man who had broken into my room at the bed & breakfast I was staying in (I wasn't physically hurt cos I screamed and threw stuff and he ran off but I haven't been able to be in a dark room alone since). No phone in the room and I was too scared to leave my room in the dark to use the pay phone in the lobby. In the early days people used to make fun of me for having one but I wouldn't be without it, just in case. I have a very cheap one that doesn't do anything besides phone calls and text messages.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a land line, and it's what I use most. My cell is only used for emergencies and I have it turned off most of the time. I use the pay-as-you go service from Rogers, and then only the minimum amount. I have it so it automatically updates every month, so I don't keep losing the minutes I've accumulated - costs me $10 per month. Since i don't use it much, I always have tons of minutes on it.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Landline and cell. We have iffy service some times in the area we live in so I would rather have both just in case ya know.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cell phone is my only phone. Cost wise, it makes the most sense for me. I absolutely need the portability of a cell- I'm out and about a lot, and it's become a necessity. A landline account would cost just as much as my cell package. I live alone and am trying to save money, so it just doesn't make sense to pay for both.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Landline and cell. We have iffy service some times in the area we live in so I would rather have both just in case ya know.
that's me although I just got my cell Saturday. But I like my landline too. And my cell is a cingular go phone. And I like it pretty well. Still getting used to it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a home phone, main reason being that I get bad cell service at home, and like Sibohan2005 said, I'm home most of the time unless I'm at work
I have my cable, internet and phone service thru my cable company and like Kallie, get free long distance
my phone only costs me about $35 a month and that includes voice mail, caller ID, call waiting, all those bells and whistles, and the LD, I was paying more than that for regular phone with no long distance. As soon as my contract is up I'm going to pre-paid on my cell because I barely use it, its really only for emergencies or if someone needs to get ahold of me while I'm on the road

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you made interesting points...I think it has to be based on a personal usage type thing.........although losing it would be a problem!