or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

wooly cats

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
does anyone know about the kittens that were bred to be anti allergic pets and the kittens bred to have wool as there fur?I dont want to get one but I found the whole thing curious
post #2 of 17
There really aren't any non-allergenic cats.
Some have a lower instance of allergens than others, that's about it.
As for actual breeds, I believe the Siberian has the lowest instance of fel-D1 which is the biggest allergen produced by cats.
As for wooly, the only cat I know of that could be considered wooly is a longhaired Selkirk Rex.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
really?I read scientists were breeding them for allergic people-which I found quite ridiculous-oh well
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromodactyl View Post
really?I read scientists were breeding them for allergic people-which I found quite ridiculous-oh well

Some one a while back posted about that, I can't remember now, but they are trying to make cats that are non-allergenic. I don't remember them being described as wooly but they are in the proccess of trying to make these cats.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialrags View Post
Some one a while back posted about that, I can't remember now, but they are trying to make cats that are non-allergenic. I don't remember them being described as wooly but they are in the proccess of trying to make these cats.
sorry two seperate type of cat.Yeah the one about making cats was in a newspaper the other was a seperate cat type-anyway this is for people again who are allergic as the fur oes not fall out.They did also say that a benefit was that you can shave your cat in the summer and start making wool clothing-sweaters,scarves in time for winter.So being a cost saving device too and not just a pet-Seriousy Weird!!!
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
i also was given a paper by a friend saying how they were trying to breed clawless cats-obviously for the people who get bothered by their scratching
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromodactyl View Post
sorry two seperate type of cat.Yeah the one about making cats was in a newspaper the other was a seperate cat type-anyway this is for people again who are allergic as the fur oes not fall out.They did also say that a benefit was that you can shave your cat in the summer and start making wool clothing-sweaters,scarves in time for winter.So being a cost saving device too and not just a pet-Seriousy Weird!!!
I never heard about that, how weird! I think if I want to make things with wool, I will get a sheep!
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
agreed!cant have a sheep in tne city tho-its a weird place fashion is now going to feathers.
Anyway not to be vile but i found this site that showed captured and skinned cats-for their fur.so fur traders are that low they are now kidnapping pets and turning them into coats
post #9 of 17
OHhhh please (on the "clawless" cats) - I really don't want to know how they expect THAT to happen! Geeezzzz
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
sickos wanting to adapt animals to suit humans.not learning that they have already done this with the earth and look what has happened
post #11 of 17
Here's the old thread on allergy free cats
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88580
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
creepy!!pre ordered cats!!???
post #13 of 17
Is this the place you are thinking about...

http://www.allerca.com/

One of those cats was on the Rachael Ray show the other morning. I guess I have no problem taking allergy meds...I don't need any genetically altered pets.
post #14 of 17
CNN had this article about hypoallergenic cats for pet lovers prone to allergies
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/10/27/b...ats/index.html
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
when i have more time will have to check those links.I read it in a british newspaper(Not tabloid)anyway both anti allergy cat and wooly cat is ridiculous.I did also meet a guy in italy in feb who had a deliberately bred wool dog-because his wife did not like pet hair on carpet.interesting
post #16 of 17
I met someone who has a wooly dog (some really obscure breed) as her husband is allergic to everything else. Its only young though and had tons of health problems - more than likely something to do with the breeding.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
same as this guy.was a nice dog but had problems.amazing fur
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding