What is wrong with people??? Stupid customers...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry... "guests that are like family." Ha.

I'm a waitress part time, and I worked all day today (I picked up a shift for a coworker who has kids).

One of my first tables today asked me, "Why are you working on EASTER??? Do you usually work Sundays?"

Um.... EXCUSE ME??? Why are YOU eating OUT on EASTER?????
I have to work because you came in to eat. So bite me.

Also, as most of you know, waitresses only make $2.43 an hour and don't get holiday pay. Why would you go out to eat on Easter and leave only a couple bucks tip? A couple tables were nice... left more than 20%, but most stiffed me. It's not like I didn't give great service... we were SLOW today, and I could take care of my tables perfectly, even had time to chat with them. I hate the clientele here. I got the "You are such a good waitress... thanks for the great service" followed by a 5% tip. Ugh. I understand that people in that area don't have a lot of money, but at least tip decently on a frickin' holiday. If you don't have the money to tip 15-20% of the cost of your meal, don't go out to eat at that restaurant. Didn't people's mothers teach them manners?!??

Sorry for the rant... I'm just getting sick of this job. I need to find something else that doesn't make me bitter and makes me money consistently. I hate not knowing how much I can count on having...

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you had a bad shift
We always tip good because we know what the poor wait staff go through. But you are right on looking for a new job, if you are unhappy at your current job, it'll affect your whole life. I was the same way you are until I found a new job that I love, and it shows too, in my health, etc.
luck!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5%? Cheap b@$t@rd$!
Even if I get bad service (I mean, unless it's REALLY bad) I still tip atleast 10%. On average I do about 20%.

Sorry you didn't have a good Easter. I get stupid questions like "Why are you working on..." at my job all the time. What was your answer?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a customer threaten to come beat us up because the book they wanted was out of print...

Something in the air?

I know how you feel though, and I agree, if you can't afford the tip you can't go out to eat. People aren't obligated to tip if the service is awful (I was a 3rd shift waitress, and I have ONCE not left a tip because the service was so bad) but if someone does as well or better than you expect then it should be at least 15% min.

Somehow it's the bad tippers who also have unreasonable demands and complain about... everything.

That was very kind of you to take someone's shift so they could spend easter with their kids! I hope things start looking up!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that you had a bad day and had to work on Easter
I've worked many holidays, Christmas and New Years included, so I know how it is.

I do think it's sad that something such as tipping has become expected. A tip is a gift and it should be at the givers' discression as to whether they tip or not and how much they tip. A customer leaving any amount should be appreciated because they didn't have to leave anything at all, even if the service was good.

There are many people working minimum wage jobs that are such where they don't have access to tips at all and have to live on what they make per hour. Please consider yourself lucky to have a job because there are some people out there who are unemployed and have no income at all.

It was very nice of you to work a shift for a friend so that she could spend time with her kids, but it was your decision and you shouldn't take it out on the customer because you were unhappy to be working on a holiday that you weren't normally scheduled to work.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tipping is expected because waitresses DO NOT make minimum wage. They make about half or less of minimum wage. A tip is not a gift. When you go to a restaurant you've agreed to the terms, which are that the employer does not have to pay them very much because you the customer will.

Also she said she gave good service, and nowhere indicated that she took it out on the customers.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I do think it's sad that something such as tipping has become expected. A tip is a gift and it should be at the givers' discression as to whether they tip or not and how much they tip. A customer leaving any amount should be appreciated because they didn't have to leave anything at all, even if the service was good.

There are many people working minimum wage jobs that are such where they don't have access to tips at all and have to live on what they make per hour. Please consider yourself lucky to have a job because there are some people out there who are unemployed and have no income at all.
If the employee is only making $2.43 an hour, tipping should be expected, because that's where most of their paycheck comes from. I would agree with that argument in a place like say, Subway, where they may have a tip jar. In that situation, a tip should not be expected, it's a gift, because it's not part of the employee's weekly paycheck and they're making atleast minimum wage. But when the employer pays an hourly wage that is so low that without tips, they'd barely be able to buy food for the week, in that sort of job, tipping very much is expected and needed.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Tipping is expected because waitresses DO NOT make minimum wage. They make about half or less of minimum wage. A tip is not a gift. When you go to a restaurant you've agreed to the terms, which are that the employer does not have to pay them very much because you the customer will.

Also she said she gave good service, and nowhere indicated that she took it out on the customers.
If your employer is paying you less than minimum wage, that's against the law. Minimum wage rates are in place for a reason.

When I go to a restaurant, I agree to pay the prices on the menu, nothing more. If I want to add in a tip, that's entirely up to me. In fact I resent the fact that people expect that I tip, and predetermine how much I should tip based on my bill. I tip what I want to tip, and nothing more. Sometimes it's a small amount, other times if I have the extra money I tip more. But it's up to me and no one else what I do with my money.

Again, I'm sorry that Godiva had a bad day, but instead of taking it out on innocent people, the customer, she should be placing the blame on her employer who is breaking the law by not paying her standard minimum wage. It's up to her employer to pay her her salary. To expect the customer to make up shortfalls in an employees wages is inappropriate and as I said, against the law.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The minimum wage for servers is usually different (and lower) although in Canada it is only about $1 lower than the regular minimum wage. (min wage is around $8 and servers $7)

While tipping is expected, it is not mandatory and I think to some extent, servers don't care as much about giving good service because they expect to get a tip just because they are working.

While I always tip well myself, I have to be honest and say it is not the customers fault that you worked on a holiday without holiday pay or that you had a slow shift, they are giving a tip for that service, not to make up for the lack of service you have to give on a slow shift.
A tip is not a gift. When you go to a restaurant you've agreed to the terms, which are that the employer does not have to pay them very much because you the customer will.
Like Natalie-ca, I think you agree to pay the terms of the price on the menu, tipping is there as an added bonus, and while most people understand waitstaff make less and a tip is what pays them, it is not part of the terms otherwise you would have rude wait staff etc.

That all being said, sorry you had a bad shift!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If your employer is paying you less than minimum wage, that's against the law. Minimum wage rates are in place for a reason.

When I go to a restaurant, I agree to pay the prices on the menu, nothing more. If I want to add in a tip, that's entirely up to me. In fact I resent the fact that people expect that I tip, and predetermine how much I should tip based on my bill. I tip what I want to tip, and nothing more. Sometimes it's a small amount, other times if I have the extra money I tip more. But it's up to me and no one else what I do with my money.

Again, I'm sorry that Godiva had a bad day, but instead of taking it out on innocent people, the customer, she should be placing the blame on her employer who is breaking the law by not paying her standard minimum wage. It's up to her employer to pay her her salary. To expect the customer to make up shortfalls in an employees wages is inappropriate and as I said, against the law.
In the United States, it is not against the law for restaurants to pay their wait staff less than the minimum wage BECAUSE they are expected that they will receive tips in return for their service.

She was not taking it out on the customer. She was very polite to the customer as it sounds, she is just venting here, there is a difference.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, in fact it's not illegal to pay less than min wage if there is the possibility of gratuity.
Could she go get another job paying min wage? Yeah, sure... but who's gonna bring you that extra soda, water, or tea next time W/O spit in it?
Trust me, waiters and waitress's remember who tips and who does. It also shows how much they're appreciated... You do more for them, they do more for you

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can fully relate and understand. I worked at a restaurant for 3 years while in college to pay for classes, or at least part. I'm still paying my loans.
I used to work on Easter also. But the worst holiday for me was christmas eve. Everyone else had taken off and I got stuck working christmas eve with one other person. She got off at 8, I was still working until 10:30. Why? Because we were open and everyone else was closed. Not only did I have some tell me they were going to leave me a tip, but they stiffed me. I had many tables, even large ones, and it was just me. I was promised that I could go earlier, and look what happens?
I certainly don't miss those days.

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh god, also being a waitress i had two tables ask me why i was working today... like seriously. Who asks that to a person as that person fills their coffee? I just don't get it. Maybe the resturaunt would not be open if no one came. /rant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said, "Someone has to. Lots of the girls here have kids, so I helped one of them out." I wonder if they meant to sound sympathetic, but it came out all wrong, you know?

And thanks for going to bat for me (and waitresses everywhere)... tip jars--tipping is optional, I agree!!

But.... waitressing???? I can't believe some people think tipping is a "gift." You must be from the area I work in.
That is the only job in this country that doesn't make minimum wage. It's part of our SOCIAL CONTRACT here... you pay the waitress directly for her work. I can't believe there are people who think that it's okay to not tip because they don't feel like "giving".... bad service, that's another story... but if she fulfilled her end of the bargain, do what is expected. For sit-down restaurants, I was always taught that you consider the tip as part of the meal, because it is beyond rude to not tip around the expected amount (unless there is a good reason).

Without the tipping system, the food would cost a LOT more. If employers had to pay their waitresses minimum wage (and they wouldn't, they'd pay more... hostesses at where I work make $9/hour, and kitchen staff make more than that) your food would be so ungodly expensive. Think of all the middlemen cut out of the line.

I do appreciate each tip, no matter how small. Money is money. Don't get me wrong. But I tell you what... I certainly don't think much of their character when it's likely they know how hard I work and how little I make, and I how I depend on them to eat and pay rent... Don't take out your frustrations with the idea of tipping on the waitress... just don't go out to eat! Lobby your legislators and get it changed! Whatever... just don't take it out on the poor girl or guy who happened to get your cranky butt in her section.

It is a LUXURY to go out to eat and have someone wait on you hand and foot. It's like "rent-a-servant" for an hour.

I get a check for about $5-10 every two weeks, and I work 20 hours a week. Taxes take out everything. You tell me someone could live off that... that ain't just a "minimum wage" job. It's horrible.

I'm all for getting rid of tipping if employers were required to pay a living wage to the servers... but your food would get a lot more expensive. Which would you rather have?

And whomever said that it's the people who demand the most and complain the most that are the worst tippers... it's very true! Nice people generally tip well... mean people don't. I guess it's not unexpected.

As a sidenote, I got complemented on my service today... both my customers and my manager (some other waitress was having a bad day, took it out on me in front of a table, and a customer went to the manager behind my back just to say that I handled it well and that I gave good service). So :p
I'm a decent waitress and I know it.
I'm a people person and I am nice and professional... the problem isn't me.

Don't ever tell a waitress that tipping is optional and a gift.
I'm done now, unless someone else says something non-helpful.

Thanks for the support otherwise.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But it's a standard to tip in a service resturant-if you can't afford an additional 15-20% then you can't afford to go out or go to a place that doesn't have service employees.

I worked as an waitress for many years. It's a soul-sucking occupation. In fact the worst a waiter is (as long as they aren't outright rude) the more I have a tendency to tip.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How did I take that out on the customer? I didn't SAY "Bite me." Good lord, I'm not stupid. As a waitress, you learn to smile and nod and play along with whomever gets seated before you.

My employer is not breaking the law. In my state, and most states, it is legal to pay lower than minimum wage (it's almost always $2 or $3 around here) if it is EXPECTED that gratuities will be received. Look it up. I think you just have a thing with tipping... I doubt you'd complain if your food got more expensive, but you didn't have to CHOOSE to give a particular person your money.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm all for getting rid of tipping if employers were required to pay a living wage to the servers... but your food would get a lot more expensive. Which would you rather have?
You pay it either way, whether you pay it to the restaurant or the waitress (they do it that way in the UK)

While I said tipping was optional, I also said I always tip, but I have been known to leave a penny tip for extremely bad service too.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckatz

But it's a standard to tip in a service resturant-if you can't afford an additional 15-20% then you can't afford to go out or go to a place that doesn't have service employees.

I worked as an waitress for many years. It's a soul-sucking occupation. In fact the worst a waiter is (as long as they aren't outright rude) the more I have a tendency to tip.
Me too! It's like you know that something horrible must have happened, they just got treated like the scum of the earth, or they are in the weeds.... it's not like servers TRY to be rude or curt, it wouldn't make sense to someone working on tips!

Another thing... if servers weren't paid on tips, they'd be a lot less likely to care if the kitchen got your food right, if you got refills on time, if your food was hot and tasty, if you had napkins, extra olives, extra cheese, refills of salad, etc.... they would just bring you what they had to because they'd get paid either way. This way keeps the servers honest.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

You pay it either way, whether you pay it to the restaurant or the waitress (they do it that way in the UK)

While I said tipping was optional, I also said I always tip, but I have been known to leave a penny tip for extremely bad service too.
Ah! Well, here in the US, as I said, my employer isn't doing anything illegal. If you had the same system in the UK, what would you do? I think this issue just might be a cultural learning experience rather than a true disagreement.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not in the UK, I just said they do it that way there.

And in my earlier post I mentioned it was legal to pay less, they have a set lower minimum wage for servers in Canada also (although its a lot more than you get paid).

I have worked as a server in the UK however and resent the fact that you think that people don't care about their customers just because they are getting paid anyway. In fact I think some people over here don't care because they think they are getting a tip anyway because it is expected