Peeing Around House - Never Before!

skoonix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - glad I found this forum. We have a wonderful cat - she has been with us for eight years (indoor/outdoor) - she is never been a problem. Never scratches furntiture, always uses her litterbox or goes outside and even though we do not travel much - when we have had to take a trip we have a loving person care for her while we are gone. What is baffling to me is we just returned from a 7 day trip and she peed in three different spots in the house (and two of them were on top of tables!!). The person caring for her changed her litter every day and we have been gone much longer before (once we had to go away for 18 days - the same person cared for her and there was not one peeing problem). Now I realize that maybe she is mad at us for leaving and I can understand that. But does anyone have any advice for cat pee on wood surfaces? This is the dining room table and the breakfast nook table - I have used stuff like Murphy's Oil Soap just to clean the thing - but if pee gets INTO the wood - yikes!!! And does it do any good to try and make the cat understand that this is totally unacceptable? We are back now and she knows she did something wrong. Im just concerned that now the smell is in these certain places - is she going to do it again? As I said, she has NEVER done this before but we have never taken two trips so close together before (we were away in Dec. for 18 days and then left for seven days this April). Any cat urine odor removal ideas? Sorry to ramble on like this but I will appreciate any advice.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome.

She needs to go to the vet. It is very very very likely that she has a urinary tract infection. That is the prime cause for this type of behavior...especially in a time of stress. It is common.

As far as the cleaning goes, I'm not sure...hopefully some one else knows.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that would get diarrhea whenever we left to go on vacations. There would be accidents ALL over the house. Once I realized she was missing the dogs, as we'd board them when we'd go, I started leaving them and having the sitter tend everyone and the problem stopped. So, my guess is she's just missing you terribly.

Not sure of a solution. Perhaps some Feliway plug-ins to use while you're away, leaving a radio or TV on, etc?

Good luck.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it never happened before while you were away, it is probably UTI. Time for a vet visit.

kittyluver27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey I also have problems with one of my cats. He had a UTI and it was all fixed. He stopped peeing on the carpet for a while and now he is starting back up again. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to get him to stop? He pees in his litterbox as well. It's a combination of the two. I keep the litterboxes clean and I just don't know what to do. Some tips would be great. I have found the people on this site to be so helpful, so please help again! lol THANKS

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyluver27

Hey I also have problems with one of my cats. He had a UTI and it was all fixed. He stopped peeing on the carpet for a while and now he is starting back up again. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to get him to stop? He pees in his litterbox as well. It's a combination of the two. I keep the litterboxes clean and I just don't know what to do. Some tips would be great. I have found the people on this site to be so helpful, so please help again! lol THANKS
Well, relapses of bladder issues are very common. That would be my first guess, that he is having some discomfort again.

The second possibility is that he is revisiting old spots where he has peed before . You will need a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean the spots. Their noses are much more sensitive than ours.

But I would take him back in to get his urine rechecked first.

kittyluver27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Well, relapses of bladder issues are very common. That would be my first guess, that he is having some discomfort again.

The second possibility is that he is revisiting old spots where he has peed before . You will need a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean the spots. Their noses are much more sensitive than ours.

But I would take him back in to get his urine rechecked first.
Thanks. If he does not have a problem with his urine, but he still keeps peeing what should I do?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyluver27

Thanks. If he does not have a problem with his urine, but he still keeps peeing what should I do?
Get the good enzyme cleaner to clean the spots he's peed on...then maybe get him a new litterbox. He could associate the old one with pain. If that doesn't work, then also get him an extra, new litterbox...so he has at least a couple choices on where to go.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check in with the vet first and ask him to check for any infections that the cat may have. If that isnt the problem- I would simply ask the vet what they think you should do. I'm sure they hear about these types of problems alot and may know a good solution to help you in your particular situation. Good luck!

WELCOME TO TCS!