I have had just about enough

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I pick up poop (99% luxor's) WAY to often to be normal. Those of you who have given me advice through Luxor's litterbox trials. Thanks.

1 we added 2 extra boxes. and now are at a total of three
2 we changed litter to cat attract , he still pooped on the floor
3 we cleaned and cleaned the carpet and put down plastic mats, he still poops on the floor
4 we have taken him to the doctor 3 times and he's completely fine in the poop department, he's on some meds to take down inflammation due to allergies
5 we changed one box to World's Best Cat Litter and he just eats it. no body uses it. he poops on the floor still

I'm really angry with Luxor even though I shouldn't be. Stoli NEVER does this and is happy as a clam to have regular old clay litter. I have a $20 bag of WBCL sitting in my closet that no one uses. I don't have any more cat attract and if I tell DH we have to get it again he's going to flip out. I want to move away from a clay litter but so far this isn't working so hot.

I'm really bummed out and I don't know what to do. Just about the only thing I haven't tried is the Feliway. But I just don't think that is the issue.

I really feel like the issue is the litter. I feel like luxor is allergic to something in this house and I wanted to see if it was the dust from the clay litter, but now i can't really do anything about it because he won't use the corn litter. Do any of you have any suggestions or supportive words?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jeese ! I can offer some supportive words ... its so frustrating when you are trying all the options and none are coming up with the answers

we had this with Miss Moofs when we she first came to us......what we figured out was she hates to use litter that isnt clean
which of course is a major pain in the neck, especially as we now have 4 cats !
The only saving grace for us is that all our cats go outside so the litter box doesnt get the same amount of usage as an indoor only family.

Hang in there - someone will have the answer for you

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is really frustrating, we went through a phase of Sonic peeing on the bed constantly and pooping in the laundry basket, thankfully he seems to have grown out of it but at the time it was very stressful for all of us and I shed more than a few tears over it, worrying that we wouldn't be able to sort it out.

On the issue of which litter to use, have you tried a litterbox with sand or shredded newspaper? They don't do much for odour control but they are soft on the feet and he's unlikely to be allergic to either. Sand is often quite attractive to cats to toilet in. At least give those options a try to see if he'll find them more attractive. Obviously for indoor use they aren't great in the long-term but if you can find something he'll go in consistently for now it would be a start.

Good luck, I hope you manage to find a solution soon.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the swheat scoop. Pricey but not as pricey as the WBCL. IF you got the litter at petsmart, you can take it back, even if it is open.
Fang did not like the corn litter, but he loves the swheat. He has a tiny box of swheat just for his pee. HE poops in the big box with the corn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what/where would i look for sand litter?

and yes - i've shed some tears over this issue.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a suggestion and you wont like it....

Shredded newspaper. Add shredded newspaper to the WBCL and put the litter box on the spot on the floor that he always uses as his litter area. Gradually 1. Move the litter box away from where he likes to go and 2. replace small amounts of newspaper to more WBCL.

If he's allergic to newspaper, use old telephone directories.

I seriously hope this helps.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

what/where would i look for sand litter?

and yes - i've shed some tears over this issue.
I would say just try "play sand", from wal mart or somewhere similar...I think it's usually in the lawn/garden dept.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get the sand at home depot too, but make sure it is the sand people put in the kids sand box, not the contstruction sand.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, the shredded newspaper...........is he going to be attracted to use this? should i take away the clay box so he 'has' to use the newspaper box?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet had us use the newspaper in the litterbox for 2 weeks after Zoey was fixed. I used our regular paper shredder and stored the extra in a clear trash bag - which Zoey discovered before I put it in the litter pan.

The hassle is that you will be changing the paper out several times a day. No odor control and poor absorbancy.

When you start using it, put Luxor in a separate room, with water and the paper litter box. See how it works.
Unfortunately, your others may like too.
Good luck.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 Q's for you. Did he ever use the box? and is he declawed?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we have a 12 yr old R. blue male who, when he was 2-3, developed anal gland problems. They've long since been 'cured' (Medi-Cal Mature Formula 2/3 of his otherwise canned food) BUT as a result (?) of the trauma, when he feels a poop coming on, he squats and lets out the first bit, then INSTANTLY dashes off 100 mph getting rid of the others as he goes. We just use a kleenex, get rid of them (thankfully well formed!) and have long given up on trying to force him into the box (where he only sometimes goes #1, which sometimes needs cleaning off the box lid in front the box). He is who he is, my beautiful freaked out Plato, and if this is the price we pay for having him, then it is, but things would have to get a lot worse before I'd ever dream of not having him. He gives more love than 10 others put together and it's all worth it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Our vet had us use the newspaper in the litterbox for 2 weeks after Zoey was fixed. I used our regular paper shredder and stored the extra in a clear trash bag - which Zoey discovered before I put it in the litter pan.

The hassle is that you will be changing the paper out several times a day. No odor control and poor absorbancy.

When you start using it, put Luxor in a separate room, with water and the paper litter box. See how it works.
Unfortunately, your others may like too.
Good luck.
i'm a little concerned about putting him in a room. . not for all day right? just after a meal? Luxor absolutely has a NUTTY FIT when he's confined to a room.

Originally Posted by ryanjay

2 Q's for you. Did he ever use the box? and is he declawed?
He uses the box when ever he feels like it. and no he is not declawed.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me if you already covered this...but when you observe him getting ready to poo, does he "search" around the house a bit, or does he go straight to the preferred spot and poo right away? Or does he sometimes "search" and sometimes not?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he searches a bit most of the time. even when he pees. i'm just really lucky he pees in the box.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try "retraining" him. Unfortunatly it requires him to be locked in a room.... What you do is put him in a room with his litter box (and nothing that you dont mind him possibly pooping on) Bathrooms usually work the best. And keep him in there for about a week. If he poops on something other then in the litter box, put the poop in the box so he'll get the idea of "thats where poop goes"

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a rough texture, what about Petsmarts' house brand of 'crystal' litter, which are actually 'pearls'? Also not the cheapest, but still cheaper than WBCL, I think. I wasn't impressed with WBCL when I got it... I have tried various litters and the pearls are what I'm going back to right now... (my issue is a little different, actually. I have a Littermaid and the receptacle gets filled up WAAAAY too quickly with clumping litter... had pearls when back in Chicago, but I'd find them all over my bathroom floor because they would become projectiles from the rake on the box... now, thye have a tent over it and it's not in the bathroom)

The pearls are another option for you to consider... especially if you're trying to get away from clay litter. I can't do clay here because of the dust factor. I have a hard time cleaning the litter box because of that stuff. And they sneeze more because of the dust. It's not available at Petco, only Petsmart, as it's their house brand... but I've liked them in the past (hence buying two jugs of them last week in preperation for the transition)

Just my two cents...
A.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feline Pine litter? It is suppose to be good for kittens, post surgery cats. Maybe it'll be easier on his feet. Or try sand like some people have suggested. Or what about trying different litters at once? What I mean is put out a few different boxes each with a different type of litter (shredded newspaper, feline pine, wheat, etc) and see what box he chooses? Good Luck, I know how frustating it can be. But as we all know our babies are worth it.