Moving

peaches2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. We're planning on moving to rural central Illinois in less than a year. One of our concerns is our tabby cat Peaches.

First of all. How will she handle the drive down there? Its about 5 hours
each way to get there. What about food? what if she has to do her
business? How do you handle all of this?

When we move, we're most likely going to get one of those big dogs (or 2)
as guard dogs. How will they re-act to the cat? I've heard they are very
loyal to their owners, but how will the react with the cat?

-Gil

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming your cat never really has travelled in a car other then to the vet. I suggest you get her a nice comfortable carrier to start. Cover it when driving - that seems to get them quiet and to sleep. Do NOT allow to ride loose in the car while you are moving - only if you stop at a rest stop allow her to stretch a few mins.

Do NOT feed her the morning of the drive - feed her after you get to the new house. Put her in a room or the bathroom where you will not be moving stuff in and outt - its for her safety and yours so she doesn't escape or trip anyone.

As far as the dogs - that depends on whether they are pups or adults. If you get them as adults, be sure to ask the rescue or shelter or owner how they are with cats. Pups can be trained to behave around cats. Whatever you do, do not allow the dogs and cats to be alone unless you are sure they are ok with each other. What type of dogs are you considering?

BTW you don't want "guard" dogs - you want "watch" dogs - ones that will let you know someone is in the driveway or at the door.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always bring a litter box and leave the kitties in a carrier for any distant ride. I would stop every couple hours to see if they need to use the litter box. If they start yeowling really loud for some unknown reason they probably need to go potty. Also, they will probably cry for a good 10-20 minutes if they don't go on many car rides, they're just whinning about having to be in a carrier. It is much safer for both you and the cat to be in the carrier.

As for getting dogs.... get them as puppies that way they have grown up with cats. There will be no problems with dogs or the breed as long as they have grown up with them!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice everyone! Peaches usually moans and whines when
she goes to the vet, so I know about that.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm assuming your cat never really has travelled in a car other then to the vet. I suggest you get her a nice comfortable carrier to start. Cover it when driving - that seems to get them quiet and to sleep. Do NOT allow to ride loose in the car while you are moving - only if you stop at a rest stop allow her to stretch a few mins.

Do NOT feed her the morning of the drive - feed her after you get to the new house. Put her in a room or the bathroom where you will not be moving stuff in and outt - its for her safety and yours so she doesn't escape or trip anyone.

As far as the dogs - that depends on whether they are pups or adults. If you get them as adults, be sure to ask the rescue or shelter or owner how they are with cats. Pups can be trained to behave around cats. Whatever you do, do not allow the dogs and cats to be alone unless you are sure they are ok with each other. What type of dogs are you considering?

BTW you don't want "guard" dogs - you want "watch" dogs - ones that will let you know someone is in the driveway or at the door.

Goldenkitty has given some excellent advice!!

Every now and then when we go Upstate to visit my BF's family we will bring Roxie. It is anywhere from a 4-5 hour drive depending on traffic. She stays in the backseat in her large Petmate carrier which I lined with a soft towel and I always give her a toy or two to keep her company. I also leave a litterbox in the backseat in case she starts yowling and we HAVE to stop but she's only ever had to use it once.

I take her food and water away from her 5 hours before we leave. That way I KNOW she had enough time to use the litterbox.

I don't have a dog but as Goldenkitty said I believe if you introduce them to cats when they are pups they'll be fine with them. Hope that helps some! Good luck with the move!