I'm Outraged!! Kitten at pet store bleeding from rectum

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ran out of wet food and I usually get my cat food at Petsmart. But I didn't feel like traveling the extra miles today so I went to the petstore in my neighborhood. I don't know if I should mention the name of the store. But anyway-after I got my food I went to look at the kittens. Not to buy one, I have way enough cats. And I'd never get one from a petstore. But anyway, I went to look at the kittens and there was a sibling group in the cage. They couldn't of been more than 6 wks old. And one of the kittens had bright red blood coming from it's rectum!! I'm not talking about a little bit, but it was so much that the fur surrounding it's behind and down it's tail was covered in blood. I couldn't believe they weren't aware of this. Then I looked at the litter closer and their poor little faces were caked in mucous. They looked pitiful.

I asked for the manager and she came and asked me to show her what kitten. I showed her and she took it out of the cage and took it to the back. I'm going to call and email the humane society. I just feel so bad like I didn't do enough.
Now I feel like I should of stayed and made sure they took care of those kittens properly. I'm just so upset about how poor they looked.
I just don't get how they could have kittens looking so badly on display trying to sell them.

I definately won't be buying food from there anymore. Which I usually don't do unless I just want to stay close to home. If anything I'll be going back in to check on the condition of the kittens. I don't even know what would cause a kitten to bleed that much from it's bottom. The more I think about it the more I feel like I should of done more. I think I'm going to call the pet store so that they know I'm just not going to let it go and that they will have to do the right thing by those babies. Could somebody tell me what could cause this?

boogie&sams mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have any animal cruelty laws in your town or county, please call the police and ask them to investigate. That is completely unacceptable and that store needs to be shut down if they treat animals that way. We have to speak for those without voices!

Kelle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok, well I called the Petland and spoke with the manager. She said they have the kitten in the back and they are watching it closely. She also said they will be taking it to the vet on Monday. I told her I'd be calling back on Monday to follow up on the kitten and I got the district manager's names.

I'm about to google search for the humane societies information. What can cause this? I'm concerned that it should be seen prior to that.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be calling every single place I could think of to bring attention to that store. That is just awful. I'm not very good at walking away when I see something like that. I would have definitely torn someone in there a new one! I agree with Kelle... we need to speak for those who can't speak for themselves.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

I'd be calling every single place I could think of to bring attention to that store. That is just awful. I'm not very good at walking away when I see something like that. I would have definitely torn someone in there a new one! I agree with Kelle... we need to speak for those who can't speak for themselves.
You are right. I feel SICK about leaving.
I'm going to be worried about that kitten all night and I feel like crying.

I called the Capital Area Humane Society and left a long detailed message. They have office hours tomorrow, so I'll call them again.

I'm about to google search why a kitten would bleed from it's backside like that. Geez, I can barely stand this. I hope I didn't fail that kitten.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate pet stores that sell dogs and cats it just isn't right!! If only the general population would top buying them from there
That poor kitten I'm glad you said something or they probably would have left him there until they found him dead. i sure hope he is not in any pain. Pet stores like that make me so mad

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted. You are doing the right thing. It's always hard to know what to do. It just worries me with tomorrow being a holiday that nobody would be there to look after him/her. I'm going to pray for this sweet baby tonight.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you brought this to the attention of the manager. Hopefully she follows through on what she said she would do and take the kitten to the vet on Monday.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you for standing up for this little kitten and her siblings who are most likely also affected! I'd go with your instincts to REPORT TO EVERY AUTHORITY YOU CAN!

I have read that a serious case of worms can cause rectal bleeding as well as rectal polyps. But I'm no vet and the kitten sounds like its in a critical state. That pet shop better get all those kittens to the vet asap!

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so typical of a pet store. I went to PetsMart the other day and they had two little kittens in the cage with one adult cat. I was waiting for my husband to finish filling out some paper work for a puppy class so I just hang out watching the kittens. One was sleeping the other one was laying down with the look on his face like he was terrified of something. Well not even a minute later this adult cat started hitting the kitten so bad that I had to shake the cage to keep the adult away from the kitten. I called the lady that was "supposedly" watching them and know what she was doing and her reaction was "well they do this all the time". I was in shock that she would let that cat to be with these two tiny little kittens in the same cage. I told her to take the adult or the kittens out of the cage and separate them or I will do it myself. She did do that but than I went to the store again for something else and I always go see those kittens for adoption and sure enough those little kittens are in the same cage with that big cat that hits the kitten constantly. I told the store manager and she said she was going to separate them but I don't know what happened since I have not been there in a while. This kind of stuff happens all the time. What makes me mad they put a high price tag on the adoption fee and that keeps people away from getting a kitten and I see them grow up in those cages. It is very sad to see a store to be so negligent.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzie

That is so typical of a pet store. I went to PetsMart the other day and they had two little kittens in the cage with one adult cat. I was waiting for my husband to finish filling out some paper work for a puppy class so I just hang out watching the kittens. One was sleeping the other one was laying down with the look on his face like he was terrified of something. Well not even a minute later this adult cat started hitting the kitten so bad that I had to shake the cage to keep the adult away from the kitten. I called the lady that was "supposedly" watching them and know what she was doing and her reaction was "well they do this all the time". I was in shock that she would let that cat to be with these two tiny little kittens in the same cage. I told her to take the adult or the kittens out of the cage and separate them or I will do it myself. She did do that but than I went to the store again for something else and I always go see those kittens for adoption and sure enough those little kittens are in the same cage with that big cat that hits the kitten constantly. I told the store manager and she said she was going to separate them but I don't know what happened since I have not been there in a while. This kind of stuff happens all the time. What makes me mad they put a high price tag on the adoption fee and that keeps people away from getting a kitten and I see them grow up in those cages. It is very sad to see a store to be so negligent.
And they also have enough nerve to do a background check on US, and in my experience, treat US as criminals who can't be trusted to have a pet--yet these places lie to to us, tolerate the behavior/medical problems mentioned above.
(Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that an adoption agency needs to vet and approve the perspective "parents"...but I hate when some places, like our local S.P.C.A., do this, yet I have been lied to by them when adopting--which indirectly led to the death of my dog last year.)

MargeCat

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzie

That is so typical of a pet store. I went to PetsMart the other day and they had two little kittens in the cage with one adult cat. I was waiting for my husband to finish filling out some paper work for a puppy class so I just hang out watching the kittens. One was sleeping the other one was laying down with the look on his face like he was terrified of something. Well not even a minute later this adult cat started hitting the kitten so bad that I had to shake the cage to keep the adult away from the kitten. I called the lady that was "supposedly" watching them and know what she was doing and her reaction was "well they do this all the time".
These cats are from a rescue group and the woman watching might be from that group. Petsmart doesn't sell cats per say, they open up room in their store so that rescue groups can get their cats adopted. It is not up to the store how cats are grouped in the cages, the rescue people that bring up the cats place them in the cages based on how well they get along. You can't blame Petsmart for this. I made arrangements for our shelter to get their cats into Petco so understand the process.

Petland should have been getting the kitten to an emergency vet.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I just got home from church and called the humane society as soon as I got in. I spoke with a woman and she knew who I was from the message I left yesterday. She told me that they've already begun to investigate it and she assured me they'd follow through and visit the store and the kitten.

She asked me what I was doing in that store. I told her to get food and she reminded me that by getting food there I was supporting what they do. She told me that I haven't seen anything until I've seen where they get their animals from. She sounded very familiar with this particular store.

I will drive the extra miles to make it to my Petsmart. I will not support a pet store again by buying any pet products there.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wonder they are familiar with it... Franklin County shelters take in 7 to 10 dogs a day from the three stores owned by that company. http://www.petstorecruelty.org/

A lot of animals begin unhappy lives at stores and mills just like the kitten you saw.

I can't go to stores that sell any animals that aren't a satellite adoption program, it just makes me cry.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

No wonder they are familiar with it... Franklin County shelters take in 7 to 10 dogs a day from the three stores owned by that company. http://www.petstorecruelty.org/

A lot of animals begin unhappy lives at stores and mills just like the kitten you saw.

I can't go to stores that sell any animals that aren't a satellite adoption program, it just makes me cry.
Thank you for the link Zissou'sMom. Un-freaking-believable!!!
After I went to that link, I was led to google the corporate office. I just sent them the below email.

begin email-

Hello,

I live in Columbus, OH. I went into the **** in ******shopping center to get some wet cat food. I usually go to Petsmart, but I wanted to stop somewhere close to home. Before I left the store I went to the back to look at the kittens. This particular litter couldn't of been more than 6 wks old (to young to be away from there mother). Then I noticed to my horror that one of the kittens rectum was bleeding. I'm not talking about a little blood. But it's bottom and much of it's tail was covered and saturated with bright red blood.

I'm appalled that this is the standard by which your animals are cared for. I don't know how the staff could of let this get by them. I brought it too their attention before I left. I called the store back later to see how the kitten was doing, and was told they'd be taking it to the vet on Monday. Upon further research I've found that this could be a critical condition needing immediate attention.

I've also found upon further research that this occurrence isn't unusual for your corporation. I wanted to let you know that I was traumatized by seeing this kitten in such a state. You should also know that I find it inexcusable that money is being made at the expense of animal's well being. And finally you should know that I was raised with an activist spirit. In the past it has been for people, but I have to believe what I seen was for a reason. I won't forget what I seen and I won't be silent. Thank you.

-end email

Anyway, this is a part of me not being silent. I hope I'm not breaking any rules. I'm not going to start preaching or anything but my bible tells me to "cry aloud and spare not". So that's what I'm doing.

boogie&sams mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so proud of you for doing that. It is absolutely true that the squeakiest wheel gets the grease. THe general population might not be ready to face up to how animals are treated, but I really feel like their plight is becoming more and more noticed. I pray every day that in this lifetime I will see dramatic changes.

Thank you for taking those extra steps!

Kelle

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boogie&Sams Mom

I'm so proud of you for doing that. It is absolutely true that the squeakiest wheel gets the grease. THe general population might not be ready to face up to how animals are treated, but I really feel like their plight is becoming more and more noticed. I pray every day that in this lifetime I will see dramatic changes.

Thank you for taking those extra steps!

Kelle
Thanks Boogie&Sams Mom.
I appreciate that. I really don't want any credit though. I'm just relieved that it is being looked into. And I'm hoping that others become aware and not shop at these stores. I've learned my lesson. I knew better, but seeing that just really brought it home.

I'm also grateful for this site. I appreciate being able to talk to people with like minds and get some direction.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hate Uncle Bills for that type of thing. I once went to Uncle Bills and I was looking at the saltwater fish. I don't remember what kind of fish it was but it was a really beautiful colorful fish priced at like $50. There was one fish laying on its side at the bottom of the tank panting. I told one of the guys that worked there, and RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, he sticks his hand into the tank, pulled out the fish and tossed it into a trash can!!!!
I couldn't freakin' believe it! I told the manager and he had a smile on his face the whole time and all he did was apologize. THEN he went back and told the guy to throw away fish in the back room instead of in the showroom!!!! OMG I was beside myself. I never went back to that Uncle Bills again.