Lysol

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is Lysol safe to use in the cat's litter box? I really like Lysol for some odd reason and want to use it there but don't know if it would be safe, anybody know?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

Is Lysol safe to use in the cat's litter box? I really like Lysol for some odd reason and want to use it there but don't know if it would be safe, anybody know?
I use something similar when I wash the litter box out but I dry the box in the sun before putting the new litter in.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO NO NO.... Please use soap and water or a sanitizer that is designed for cats...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second what Sharky has said.
Do not use Lysol, or ANY products that contain phenols.
Phenols are TOXIC to cats (and many other animals).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
really I didn't know it was so dangerous, I'll stop using it thanks! It's not really the smell that I use it for it is the fact that it kills all those viruses and bacterias. Will vinegar do the same thing, that is what i use to clean my gerbils cage and it works really well.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

really I didn't know it was so dangerous, I'll stop using it thanks! It's not really the smell that I use it for it is the fact that it kills all those viruses and bacterias. Will vinegar do the same thing, that is what i use to clean my gerbils cage and it works really well.
Boy, I second what you say! I would think that this should be posted on the label!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I use that for sterilizing my medical equipment (the parts that my meds are mixed in that I inhale) I would think it would be okay as long as you wash it well with soap and water after disinfecting it.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, vinegar will work just fine, as will any soap and water.
Viruses and germs cannot withstand soap and hot water, people are just nuts with the chemicals these days.

I think Lysol and all cover up fragrances were invented for people who don't want to wash anything.

The diluted alcohol and water will work as well.

I just cleaned the front of my painted kitchen cabinets with baking soda and water, after my spray on Trader Joe's natural soap didn't remove the food stains. Guess what?? IT worked great, I couldn't believe it. I will stop wasting my money and just use baking soda from now on.

sasha4848

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would use something that you know is safe, like baking soda or vinegar (even though I hate the smell of vinegar). There is also a product called Clorox Anywhere, supposedly it is chemically balanced in such a way that it is very gentle and safe to use around pets, children and food. I use it in my kitchen and bathroom. Haven't used it on the litter box, but their website says it is safe:
And is also ok to use:
Surfaces around Kids: baby toys, pacifiers, high chair, play table, changing tables, diaper pails, strollers
Surfaces around Food: counters, plastic cutting board, knives, lunch boxes, refrigerators, kitchen appliances
Surfaces around Pets: pet bowls, feeding dishes, litter box (empty or outside of litter boxes)
Surfaces around the house: sinks, stovetops, counter tops, range tops, telephones

http://www.clorox.com/solutions_anywhere_faq.php

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I clean everything (floors, bathroom, counters, fridge, etc.) with a steam cleaner, and find it's great for litter boxes, too. It kills germs, and there's no chemical residue. Nowadays there are small, inexpensive hand-held ones that are just perfect for litter boxes.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I clean everything (floors, bathroom, counters, fridge, etc.) with a steam cleaner, and find it's great for litter boxes, too. It kills germs, and there's no chemical residue. Nowadays there are small, inexpensive hand-held ones that are just perfect for litter boxes.
What kind of steam cleaner do you use? I have been thinking about getting one, but I've heard some of them are not safe.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never use Lysol products around cats - they can get poisoned by it. Use diluted bleach to clean the litter pans and then rinse very well and dry.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a big bottle of cat shampoo that I very rarely use, so I use a bit of it to clean the litter box when I dump it every month. I assume since it's safe to use on the cat's skin, it's safe to use to clean the litter box?