Can't eat meat today...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so I ran out and got Chineese food and it was delish. I ordered shrimp chow mein combo with no meat at all. I ate half of it already and will save the rest for later. Are any of you fasting today (no meat) since it is Good Friday, if so what are having today??

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never eat meat (meat includes seafood to me) but today I have had a pear, vegetable protein chicken nuggets, string cheese, a salad, and a slice of bread with peanut butter on it.

My mom works at a Catholic nursing home and she is very sick of fish! Alot of them (retired clergy) eat it all the time during Lent.

I'm confused about the fasting thing... not meaning to be offensive... why is it called fasting if you can eat anything but red meat and chicken? I think I must be misunderstanding something.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

so I ran out and got Chineese food and it was delish. I ordered shrimp chow mein combo with no meat at all. I ate half of it already and will save the rest for later. Are any of you fasting today (no meat) since it is Good Friday, if so what are having today??
Same here...I thought Chinese would be good to order tonight...Shrimp and Broccoli for me

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm confused about the fasting thing... not meaning to be offensive... why is it called fasting if you can eat anything but red meat and chicken? I think I must be misunderstanding something.
From what I understand.....

People used to actually fast (nothing except water) on good friday and not eat any meat or poultry on every other friday of the year. Some people still do this.

Now, for many people, the rules are more lax. Instead of no meat every friday, some people choose to do this only on good friday. And they don't actually fast at all.

I think the term "fasting" is just used because of how it used to be. I agree, it doesn't really fit the more current idea of good fridays.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why can't you eat meat today? I really don't eat meat, except on the occasion that I just CRAVE a burger. Normally I eat chicken, turkey or fish, but there are times I just crave a burger, and I will give in and get a cheeseburger from McDonalds.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Why can't you eat meat today? I really don't eat meat, except on the occasion that I just CRAVE a burger. Normally I eat chicken, turkey or fish, but there are times I just crave a burger, and I will give in and get a cheeseburger from McDonalds.
Because it's Good Friday. Catholics usually don't eat meat on this day.

Oh and if you get a cheeseburger from McDonalds, technically you're still not eating meat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just going by the old way of doing things. I'm not sure you can eat chicken since that is a meat also, only on Good Friday do I not eat meat. I do not fast at all during Lent (Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday) which is what most Catholics do. I really do not practice my religion, I do believe in certain things tho and do follow some of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I am just going by the old way of doing things. I'm not sure you can eat chicken since that is a meat also, only on Good Friday do I not eat meat. I do not fast at all during Lent (Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday) which is what most Catholics do. I really do not practice my religion, I do believe in certain things tho and do follow some of them.
oops, this should have been posted under Zissou's mom's post.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch and am going to fix Tuna Helper for dinner. I actually like fish so the abstinence part of Lent (refraining from eating meat) isn't too bad, although the idea behind it is supposed to be sacrifice and self-denial. It's the fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday that are tough, because I love to eat.
We're only supposed to eat one full meal and two smaller meals (or less), with no snacking in between on these days.

The idea behind Catholics fasting on these days is to personally, and as a community, deliberately place ourselves in need (hunger being the most basic need) so that we can discover that for which we hunger spiritually in our lives and in our world. We do this to give concrete expression to our trust that God will give us the spiritual sustenance to fulfill all our needs.

On a lighter note, I'm ready for Taco Bell which, as many of you know, I gave up for Lent. Guess what's for lunch on Monday?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So when does your lent end? You people are making me hungry. I'm about ready to go out and get a quarter pounder with cheese right now.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

So when does your lent end? You people are making me hungry. I'm about ready to go out and get a quarter pounder with cheese right now.
easter i do believe....i too am catholic I just dont practice that much
And I just ordered a steak and cheese wedgie...

Now every friday tho since lent started my dad gets a fish sandwich!!!

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm EPISCOPALIAN, but like Catholics we observe Good Friday and try not to eat meat. So our meals today were cheese and eggs for lunch, and beets and fish sticks for supper. I like seafood so I don't mind meatless Fridays, but on the other hand, I LOVE meat!