"exposed to Corona" but no corona

orangetabgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen this posted about heart worms so I am curious about corona. The vet tech explained a little bit (she was helpful) but now I have more questions, which I suppose I could just call again.....but I will try here first since you guys are better at "simple" terms and I get lost with the medical stuff.

My cat is healthy and doesn't have anything but he was tested for the corona virus which he doesn't have but most likely was exposed to, he has built antibodies I guess. He was a stray and I found him in a dumpster at 4 weeks old and bottle fed him etc...

So does this mean he will get the diease? or will he have a regular normal life. The vet didn't sound concerned, he just wanted me to make sure he had an annual checkup with blood work,

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty much any cat from shelters, multi-cat households, etc. will have a positive titer, which simply shows that they have been exposed to the corona virus. The only time that it becomes a problem is if the virus mutates, then it becomes FIP. There is no way to tell in advance if that is going to happen, unfortunately. So, in the end the test really doesn't tell much, except that the kitty has been exposed at some time, and therefore has produced antibodies against the virus.

Hope that helps. I'm an RVT and I know how confusing this topic can be. If you have any more questions, let me know!

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

Pretty much any cat from shelters, multi-cat households, etc. will have a positive titer, which simply shows that they have been exposed to the corona virus. The only time that it becomes a problem is if the virus mutates, then it becomes FIP. There is no way to tell in advance if that is going to happen, unfortunately. So, in the end the test really doesn't tell much, except that the kitty has been exposed at some time, and therefore has produced antibodies against the virus.

Hope that helps. I'm an RVT and I know how confusing this topic can be. If you have any more questions, let me know!
That's my thinking too. My cat was actually tested for corona virus when vet thought he had FIP. Which he did not. And he also had no corona virus whatsoever (he is not a shelter cat). But most shelter cats have been exposed to this virus. So they will test positive for it. It doesn't mean they have FIP.