Are your animals microchipped?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering who has their furbabies microchipped?
I microchipped Kojak at the shelter where i work. I'm about to go register him on the website a little later today
I will be microchipping all of my animals over the next few weeks just to be safe
They are all indoors only and all wear proper tags/id's on their collars as well. (Working at a shelter- i see too many animals come in without a collar or chip- it's just not worth the risk) / Also from personal experience working at our local shelter- i've seen numerous animals who had got their collars off them when they got loose be reunited with their owners thanks to having a microchip!
They really do work and they're soo worth it! It's really not too pricy to have them chipped eithor- especially if you do so at a local shelter. Also almost every shelter in our area checks for microchips /tattoos- so the techonology is definitely catching up shelter to shelter
Is your furbaby microchipped? Why or why not!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of mine are micro-chipped, except for Lucia but she will be soon...I just need to have peace of mind in case they get out and get lost somehow...and Joey is indoor/outdoor.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of mine are microchipped, but I plan to get it done during their next round of vet visits. I had always assumed it would be very expensive, and was surprised when I recently found out how affordable it is.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are NOT, for one specific reason: I have a real problem with the mere idea of having a foreign body implanted in any of my furbabies. I wouldn't do it to myself, therefore I will not do that to my furchildren.

However, I am a firm believer in cats wearing collars, even if they are indoor only.
The ONLY reason/times I ever had a cat get a collar stuck on something was because - and only because - I hadn't adjusted it to fit properly. Once adjusted, I've never had a problem with the cats getting stuck or removing them.

Also, I have no problem with tattooing, but that isn't offered as an option in my area, as far as I am aware.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one of my cats who is microchipped is Chessy because he came to me that way. They all have collars which I think would be a better way of getting them back to me if they got out. I think it's very unlikely that one of them would even get out and then lose their collar on top of that. If I ever have the extra money I might pay to get all of them microchipped to be extra safe. I've been spending a lot on Mia since we just got her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Microchipped, tattooed, and "collared". Actually, microchipping is to be mandatory here by 2011 or 2012. The idea is to prevent people from abandoning pets.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are microchipped with the Avid Friend Chip... Both of there's read on any scanner! My kitten has also been eartipped for physical evidence that she has been spayed (feral kitten)! Neither of my cats wear collars... Which alot of people disagree with since they are indoor only!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chipped and collared, even though they're indoor kitties. I wouldn't have it any other way.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm, tatooing, that would be a great idea, never thought of that but alas I never heard of any vet doing that. Don't know if it would be safe the the kits either altho many of us have them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Ummm, tatooing, that would be a great idea, never thought of that but alas I never heard of any vet doing that. Don't know if it would be safe the the kits either altho many of us have them.
It's very safe!
We actually tattoo every cat/dog in our shelter when we spay them. All of our local shelters in the area have started to do the same- we just leave a little pin point prick tattoo with a needle around the area of the incision -so that when it heals and all you're left with is a scar- there will be NO doubt that this animal has been spayed! So if it ever gets lost again and winds up in another shelter- all they will have to do is shave the belly and check for a little pin point tattoo -because sometimes you can not tell a spay scar from a bladder surgery scar- this prevents the animal from having to be opened up needlessly
It's great! Tattooing for kitties as an ID form is VERY VERY similar- many times it's done in the ears. That way it's visible
It's perfectly safe and if you like-many times they will lightly gas the animal to make them sleepy while tattooing the ear so that they will not be scared

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id rather my kitten been tattoo'd vs the ear tipping method used on ferals! Its quite noticable but I love her the same... Chipped ear and all!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

It's quite common here during speutering. One ear gets the county code and year, the other the vet's initials and consecutive number, e.g. 46th pet tattooed by that vet that year.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. We should, though. Honestly, we just don't have the money to do all of them right now, and we won't for a while. We should have had it done when they each got speutered, but well... hubby is a cheapskate.

As a result of them not being microchipped, we are especially careful about making sure there is no way they could get outdoors. Our neighborhood has a little list too... everyone sent in descriptions of their pets, so if anyone sees a stray outside, they can check the list. The thought is that people won't do mean things to the strays or send them off to the Humane Society if they know the stay is just a neighbor's dog or cat! Pretty cool system, if you ask me... but it won't work if the pets stray outside of our neighborhood, which is only about two blocks around in a circle.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and going off descriptions saves the "finder" from having to capture the animal to find out if he/she has a tag or chip. If the pet is from the neighborhood, the owner can be identified as soon as possible. There haven't been any cats found through this little list system, but a couple of dogs have been.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not very expensive when you think of the peace of mind you have knowing that you are taking every precaution to keep your babies safe

mine are both chipped!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put other because Willie is the only one microchipped, and I do plan on getting the others microchipped just in case u know ! Microchipping imo is very good, because if it wasnt for that both times willie got out and lost we wouldnt have gotten him back, the first time the people that had hims vet checked for one and found it, and then recently someone took him to the shelter were the found the microchip luckily! He did have a collar on but his tags had fallen off, so thank goodness we had the microchip in him!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much did it cost for you guys? I seem to remember it being expensive (like $50 per pet, plus the registration fees), but maybe it's just because of my area or it was a few years ago.

I'd love to have it done. I know we need to. How to convince the hubby...

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am kind of against chipping. I wouldn't want my son or husband chipped, so I wouldn't do it to Squeekers either.