When will she meow?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten Nollee is almost 8 months old and she has not meowed yet! She is around 4 pounds, maybe a little more and very active! She squeeks but no meowing... When will my tiny tike start to meow? Don't get me wrong the squeeking is adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I can live with that I suppose! My older cat is extremely vocal! he talks and shouts all the time, so her squeeking seemed off to me? She has such a tiny squeek and makes the oddest pattern of squeeks when she plays!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its funny! I understand when they are wee ones they squeek but no meowing yet... Its very cute just wondering if this is common?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia didn't really start "talking" until she was much older, like 4 years old or so. She would grunt her displeasure with us
but didn't really meow. Of course, she was a feral kitten, and they are taught not to make noises because it scares away prey, or attracts predators.

When Ginger came to live with us at about 7-8 months old, she didn't really meow. She was so quiet, and trilled her greetings. Now that she's a little over a year, she's gotten more vocal with actual meows.

Mojo is about the same age as Nollee, and she squeeks too! It's the cutest thing in the world, and I hope she never grows out of it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that never made a sound unless she got trapped in a closet or scared in some other way. She would how then, but otherwise, she never meowed for anything!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nollee is a feral kitten too. Maybe thats why she is so hush hush and squeeks to communicate! She was an outdoor kitty probably till she was close to 6 months!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Reeses' previous owner, she never meowed. He said the first time he heard her meow was when he handed her over to my wife to take her home in the cat carrier.

I find it strange because she never shuts up
Maybe she's happier here?

It could just be that the squeak is her meow, as was said. I think someone posted a video of their kitty meowing and it was a squeak. Our friend's cat meows, but it sounds like it has laryngitis, so I guess every cat is different.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! I can leave with an occasional squeeker. Tiger never shuts up! He talks so much more than any cat I have ever encountered! He meows when you walk by, meows non-stop till you fill his dish, to be pet, anything! He meows at least 50 times a day!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

LOL! I can leave with an occasional squeeker. Tiger never shuts up! He talks so much more than any cat I have ever encountered! He meows when you walk by, meows non-stop till you fill his dish, to be pet, anything! He meows at least 50 times a day!
Reeses usually answers us. "Hi Kitty Boo!" "..meow..." *lol*

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither either of my cats or any of my sisters three cats Meow! Casey makes attempts at Meows, but they don't sound like any I've heard before!
Gracie and my sister's two females, Alley and Matilda, squeak, and her male, Charlie, "Meeps!"

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harvey hardly ever meows. The only time he does is if we've got him shut into his room at feeding time and decides we haven't let him out soon enough. (This rarely happens, though...he usually perfectly happy in there by himself.)

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first kitty Shalimar (RB) never meowed. She would open her mouth and look like she is meowing, but no sound came out. The only time I ever heard her meow was when I would lock her out of whatever room I was in.

Pipsqueek got his name because for the first year of his life he was smaller than his brother, and he still squeeked. Now he wont shut up! He meows to find me. He meows when he is hungry or wants to play. He meows for permission to come upstairs. He even meows when he is playing with my ghost. He sits in the middle of the room looking at the ceiling meowing, then bats at something the ghost holds out for him.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL he sounds like such a cutie! I think squeeking is cute, just curious if she will ever meow! I will be shocked the day I hear a full meow... If I ever do?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two here that do not meow, I wouldn't worry over it.
Cassi will soon be three and she trills, chirps and squeaks, but no meows.
Ivory is two and barks and chuffs, kinda like a tiny tiger.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know this was so normal and common! Aww bless all our squeekers!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens start "meowing" as soon as they're born- they do it very often when nursing. That being said- each animal vocalizes differently- some squeak and never really meow...that's completly normal!
Just her way of vocalizing and communicating with ya'll the same way a meow would.
Nothing wrong with that

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of appreciate her subtle squeeks since my other cat talks enough for 5 cats!