How do I make George stop.....

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...climbing the curtains? George has recently discovered the curtains and he loves to try to climb them when he's worked up. No, not "try" to climb, he does climb, right to the top if you let him. I don't know how to stop him. I have tried telling him "NO", clapping my hands, hissing and/or growling at him, and nothing has worked. Does anyone have any ideas? Spraying with water wouldn't work on George, because he loves water. Any suggestions?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is George? Do you have a nice sturdy tree house he can climb? And even if cats like water; most don't like being hit by it from a squirt bottle

Keep his nails trimmed short (check once or twice a week and do as needed).

I know that when the rex kittens were running around, they were taught from 5 weeks old you do NOT climb curtains or play around them. We did it by "mean voice", clapping hands, and stop them from playing tag with each other around the curtains.

So when they left my house at 4 months old, they didn't do it in the new home. Owners were surprised at how "housetrained" they were

So be consistent.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teddy does this
but like you, he wont take any notice of the usual methods.

So we gave in and have tied the curtains up until
hopefully
he forgets about them and grows out of it !

Miss Moofi used to climb up our patio fly-screen, we had to take that out until she forgot about it - that worked - unfortunately we had to take that out again, as Teddy had also discovered he can climb that too

It comes to those who wait

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an idea. Could you take the good curtains down and replace them with an old pair for a week or two? Here's the thing, don't put the curtain rod through them. Drape them over the curtain rod or maybe even pin them in place to it with a couple of clothes pins. This way the curtains will give and fall (but not the rod too) when the cat attempts to climb.

Maybe a few tumbles on his butt will teach George that curtains are not worth climbing.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I have an idea. Could you take the good curtains down and replace them with an old pair for a week or two? Here's the thing, don't put the curtain rod through them. Drape them over the curtain rod or maybe even pin them in place to it with a couple of clothes pins. This way the curtains will give and fall (but not the rod too) when the cat attempts to climb.

Maybe a few tumbles on his butt will teach George that curtains are not worth climbing.
hey, good idea...........now where are those old curtains..........umm think DH is using them for dust sheets somewhere

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

:now where are those old curtains..........umm think DH is using them for dust sheets somewhere
You could use a couple of old bed sheets, something that you don't mind if it gets ripped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strange_Wings: The curtains are not "good", so we can just try it with them. It's a good idea. Hopefully it'll work to dissuade him.

GoldenKitty45: George is 9 months old now. I'll cut his nails more often and see if that helps. He isn't intimidated by us clapping and saying firm "NO!", so I guess I should have started earlier. I tried water on him today.....he tried to climb up and down on the curtain to make sure every drop of water hit his body so he could enjoy his shower. lol For now, when he gets into that rowdy climbing mood, the only thing that works is to put him in the bedroom (where there are no curtains, even though I've been buggin bf to put them up for 7 months.....) until he calms down.