Weight Management Food a Disadvantage?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For almost a year now I have been feeding my 5 year old cat weight management formulas! First he was on Nutro Natural Choice Weight Management Indoor Formula and I just recently switched him to Wellness Healthy Weight! He only gets 1/2 a day and is about 4 pounds overweight! When I started feeding him weight management dry food he was maybe 1-2 pounds overweight, I've been thinking this over and I've noticed he has gotten fatter on weight management food. I would love to feed him wet food but he won't have it at all (no interest) which saddens me! Also Im not sure he is feeling satisfied on his weight management food because I keep catching him eating the kitten food (she will be switched to wet's in the near future because she loves it... This will deter the older cat from eating her food as well since he detests wet food)! Im going to switch him back to a normal premium formula, will this help? I know Im going to get alot of advice to put him on a wet food diet but he won't eat it (even when mixed with a little dry)! I plan to keep trying to persued him to enjoy wet food but it's a challenge! He gets plenty of exercise and is healthy... Just tubby! Any suggestions? I like the Wellness line!

qhgirl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what Im starting to grasp! He really got fat on that stuff! I hope Core is available where I live... They carry Wellness at some Pet Stores here but options tend to be limited... I haven't seen the CORE yet!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Core looks good as long as there are no UTI issues..

IMHO feed him the kitten food ( run it by your vet ).. I see the % protein and fat is the same in kitten and the chn formula

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it isnt too bad if he eats the Kitten Food? It's Wellness! Is he eating it because it has something he needs that he isnt getting from weight management foods?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My three yr old eats it ...My vet thought most all stages were kitten till I showed her the %ages...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this prbably sounds wrong but Im going to have him finish his overweight bag off food since its only half gone, also I have more than a full bag of Nutro left that I stopped feeding both cats... I might give the kitten the rest of her bag to finish but Im not sure all that switching is good for their digestive system! I guess I'll have to through the Nutro Weight Management out since I cant find anyone who will use it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I know this prbably sounds wrong but Im going to have him finish his overweight bag off food since its only half gone, also I have more than a full bag of Nutro left that I stopped feeding both cats... I might give the kitten the rest of her bag to finish but Im not sure all that switching is good for their digestive system! I guess I'll have to through the Nutro Weight Management out since I cant find anyone who will use it!
Donate it or take it back... remeber it is 100% garenteed

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can take Nutro back? To where a pet store? Where could I donate it too? Can too much protein cause urinary issues? He hasnt had any urinary issues to this point!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You can take Nutro back? To where a pet store? Where could I donate it too? Can too much protein cause urinary issues? He hasnt had any urinary issues to this point!
Yes right on the bag it say 100% garenteed .... the store you bought would be best ... Local shelter .. No but fish often can
, CORE has three types of fish

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Errr what should I feed him then? Such a challenge could I feed him Wellness (not the CORE formation)? How about the Wellness Indoor formula? What is your take on that?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Off to check

Most indoors are adult with wt mgmt inside

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I just did and it seems decent but Im up for input!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
not right for you baby...
Protein and fat looks like a lovely senior formula ... Uti stuff is borderline too high( This is WHY I try to only recommend certified uti foods ... anyone can claim it )

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

How about the Chicken or Salmon formulas?
the chicken looks alot like the kitten.... as does the salmon( which is too fishy for me )...

the Uti parts are borerline high but not a worry... the fatty acids are at a good leval ... 36% protein is a nice level and 18 fat is also

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would barring a vets objuection just feed kitten and see ...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it vets object to kitten food in adult cats? It won't cause issues for him will it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Why is it vets object to kitten food in adult cats? It won't cause issues for him will it?
Some vets think cats need less protein and fat than kittens .... Since it isnt an all stage the feeding tests werent done on older cats