friskies and fancy feast

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi, i know there's probably a ton of threads on this, but i havent been on in a while and i just want a quick concensus... friskies and fancy feast, i have cans of the wet food and i'm afraid to give it to my baby eventhough i dont think it's on THE list of the foods that were effected. just wondering. thanks guys, nice to be back too

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would hold off ... reason my vet has seen the ARF cases in cats not eating recalled food... Right now I am feeding only NON MENU made cans without wheat or wheat gluten

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would wait. I've been feeding the Friskies as I was assured it's perfectly fine (and it's the only canned food Worm and Jake will eat) but now I have 3 cats vomiting. They haven't done this much before. I have now stopped feeding wet food and only feed dry. We would use the "loaf" style of Friskies as it has no wheat gluton, but the boys hate that style. (Can you say picky. LOL)

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and have always fed them a combination of Fancy Feast canned and Max dry cat food. Sometimes I feed them Fancy Feast dry cat food. I do not see these items on the banned list even though Max is made by Nutro I believe. However lately I'm noticing my oldest cat Zena (she's 13) is becoming a bit lethargic...I don't know if its old age or a disease process going on or what? This whole thing with the contaminated foods has got me hyper vigilant and scared. I'm wondering if I should change her diet or take her to the vet..which I hate to do...she gets so nervous just being in the carrier she poops and pees before we even get to the office.
Last time we were there the vet couldn't clip her nails because she became fractious. The other 2 cats are ok and eat the same food.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
granted i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that fancy feast,
was not made by menu foods?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

granted i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that fancy feast,
was not made by menu foods?
Even if it is not made by menu foods, it does contain wheat gluten & many are being overly cautious.

pearla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't ONLY THE "CUTS N GRAVY" style canned food tainted?

So that means the other types (chunky, etc) are safe, whether they contain wheat gluten or not...???

WHAT CANNED FOOD DOSEN'T CONTAIN W.G???

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See I was going to make a thread about this yesterday, i was worried as well! We are currently only feeding whiskas and we have friskies and fancy feast but theres alot of their food that has wheat glueton, but I am also worried for the fact that they Purina get their wheat stuff from china, if u read their F.A.Q section u will see that, so with Fancy feast I am not feeding that, now with friskies same as fancy feast their are ones made with out what glueton we got a box of friskies the variety pack with mixed grill, salmon dinner, and turkey and gibblets which are clear from what glueton! All I would do is check the ingredients of things when u buy it just to be safe u know, my mom bought the wrong fancy feast variety pack there is one of the variety packs that doesnt have wheat glueton but I cant remember which one!

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd feed it to them........I like to feed FF as a rare treat to some of mine, but since this all started I don't feel safe doing so. Right now, they're eating their Rx dry food, and any treats they get are going to be Gerber baby food or boiled chicken.

Out of extreme paranoia, I threw away about 15 cans of FF. I don't think they're on the list, but the list has grown exponentially since the recall started so I don't even want to risk it. My luck says as soon as I feed it, it would hit the list the next day. I just don't even want to go there.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before the recall I was feeding science diet advnaced protection dry and fancy feast and Science Diet Canned (not cuts and gravy though thank god!!!) I brought back almost all the Fancy feast because for 2 reasons. One, the kinds I had had wheat Gluten and they are getting it from china (read on their website) and Two, I just noticed the other kinds are made in Thailand which makes me nervous. Tops markets was really good about it, I just gathered up old reciepts and brought them back for a refund. The girl at the cournter said she did the same thing with all her store bought food. As for the SD wet food, I havent decided what to do with it because I cannot find the reciepts for them and I bought them from petsmart. Since they are "safe" I may give them to a friend.

I switced them to natural balance dry and wet and the tranisition was easy. They love it and no tummy problems and they have both had solid Bowel movements. (although shamus's bowel movements smell even worse then before which I didnt Think was possible
) I like the fact that they use only American and New Zealand ingredients (the lamb and venison is imported from New Zealand) and do not get any ingredients from china. Their food contains no wheat and no corn.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am not using any FF or Friskies with wheat gluten. so that is a select few of loaf style foods. i returned everything else (that i could). the stuff i couldn't return (lost receipts and don't know where i bought them) are sitting in the closet until this mess is over with.

but i am also phasing them out. they only get it for one meal (and they are starting to prefer the healthy stuff, so the FF isn't getting eaten too well). and i am refusing to buy any more FF or Friskies. the rest of their meals are Merrick, Natural Balance, Meow Mix pouches and sheba tubs as a treat. we're still experimenting to see what other foods they might like.

we also switched to Natural Balance kibble and they are really liking it.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow--Littleraven7726, I could have written your post. I am in the exact situation and have switched to same foods (we also have Hills Rx c/d ).

At first I was bummed out because my cats LOVED the FF wet (a few times a week at most). But I think it's best to 'phase them out' as you said.

I am noticing some overall changes in my cats as they get older and I want to remain as consistant as possible with regard to a better diet. I had just finished typing in the 'better food' thread that we cannot underestimate the benefits of a high quality diet for our pets.

I have a bunch of FF cans both regular and the new gourmet ones (both say containing wheat gluten) sitting in the closet with dismal futures.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would hold off ... reason my vet has seen the ARF cases in cats not eating recalled food... Right now I am feeding only NON MENU made cans without wheat or wheat gluten
Sharky, did your vet say which non-recalled foods these ARF cats had been eating? I am staying away from all Menu and wheat gluten too but I am just curious.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just checked with my vet a few minutes ago. As of right now Friday April 6, Fancy Feast canned is not on the banned list of pet foods.

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Even if it is not made by menu foods, it does contain wheat gluten & many are being overly cautious.
Not all of Fancy Feast contains wheat gluten, in fact there are many of the flavors that do not contain it.This is what I have been feeding my kitten of 20 weeks old mixed with Royal Canin dry kitten food. Like any other brand you must read the ingredants. Many pet owners are making thier own food but I am hearing this is ok for now but should not be done for the long term. Just read your cans ingrediants and you should be all right

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have faith in some brands that I probably should not (cat food wise), although I can tell you one thing - I do not have ANY faith in ANY wheat gluten. Regardless of ANY list I am not serving any wheat gluten here.

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The FF 36 can seafood gormet pack has 3 differant flavors and none contain wheat or wheat gluten

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I have faith in some brands that I probably should not (cat food wise), although I can tell you one thing - I do not have ANY faith in ANY wheat gluten. Regardless of ANY list I am not serving any wheat gluten here.
Umm that is me ...

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is also another brand, Sheba, which is quite expensive. The main ingrediants in Sheba are meat/chicken/fish. This is virtually people quality food. Their products do not contain wheat or corn gluten but tapioca for thickening. I've bought a couple cans of Sheba for my cats and the food was scarfed down in minutes. It is pretty expensive but I had a coupon for buy one get one free.