Daphne coughing?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Daphne has started coughing this evening. Three instances in the last couple of hours. She is 9 weeks old and was given a perfect bill of health at the vet last week.

The episodes last around a minute or so.

Could she be trying to cough up a furball? Do short-haired cats have furball issues like long-haired? It is so sad to watch her cough and not be able to help.

Vet closed over an hour ago - do you think this sounds like something for an ER? She is normal otherwise.

Thanks - I'm a bit worried

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya I do believe that short haired cats can get hairballs too, recently bella has done the Coughing thing, and what I did was monitor her, It seemed like she was about to throw up u know, so I was giving them this one kind of treats and I took her off of it and she is fine now
But I wanna say, call ur vet to be sure since she is still young, and u dont want to get a nasty URI
But I know how u feel, with this recall I was flipping out, not knowning if i was giving her something bad u know
But like i said bella is a short hair and she is one that doesnt like to throw up and so it was like coughing, so it can be a hairball, but like I said im not sure, just monitor her and give ur vet a call just incase !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

Ya I do believe that short haired cats can get hairballs too, recently bella has done the Coughing thing, and what I did was monitor her, It seemed like she was about to throw up u know, so I was giving them this one kind of treats and I took her off of it and she is fine now
But I wanna say, call ur vet to be sure since she is still young, and u dont want to get a nasty URI
But I know how u feel, with this recall I was flipping out, not knowning if i was giving her something bad u know
But like i said bella is a short hair and she is one that doesnt like to throw up and so it was like coughing, so it can be a hairball, but like I said im not sure, just monitor her and give ur vet a call just incase !!
Thank you for answering
I found white rice-sized specks in Daphne's stool this morning so the coughing may be related to worms. She has appointment with vet in the morning (Saturday) so will see what happens. Sebasian has never had a hairball problem or worm problem.

I know this may have been a silly question and everyone here on the forums must get tired of answering almost the same questions over and over but for those of us with little furry ones, it is most important and at times, scary.

Thank you for this supportive answer - I plan to get a crash course on worms, coughing and hairballs tomorrow.
Will be getting meds for both of them and the vet isn't even going to charge an office visit fee

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that Daphne (one of my pets has this name, also
) has worms.

Just wanted to second the comment that short haired kitties can definitely suffer with hairballs. One of my domestic short hair cats does suffer with hairballs on a semi-regular basis, unfortunately (the coughing is a very common symptom of a hairball with her, too).

Good luck at the vet, tomorrow!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hyacinthbucket

Sorry to hear that Daphne (one of my pets has this name, also
) has worms.

Just wanted to second the comment that short haired kitties can definitely suffer with hairballs. One of my domestic short hair cats does suffer with hairballs on a semi-regular basis, unfortunately (the coughing is a very common symptom of a hairball with her, too).

Good luck at the vet, tomorrow!
Thank you so much! What a relief - perhaps this will be something easy to treat with meds. She is such a sweetie (when she isn't using my legs as tree trunks) I hate seeing her suffer

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one with a short haired kitty who has problems from time to time with hairballs. It's esp. prevalent during the shedding seasons.

Did you get Daphne to the vet and does she have worms? If so, did you get her started on a dewormer?

Stephanie

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys

Daphne did go to the vet this morning. They gave gave her a half tablet of dewormer. The vet said that if the worms were bad enough, it could cause coughing. He also put her on anitbiotics just in case - to ward off an upper respiratory infection. She sneezes once in awhile, but only after she has just been coughing. The coughs haven't produced anything yet.

Vet didn't seem to think it would be hairballs because she is so young and short-haired. I have to give my big guy 2 of the deworming tablets - I am not looking forward to that.

She gained a pound since her last vet visit 9 days ago. Up to two whole pounds now. She doesn't look bloated. He said she appeared healthy. So, I am hoping the meds work and she will be 100% soon. Now if I can just stop worrying!

She is due for her next kitten shots on the 18th and then her spay surgery. Would love for her to be all better by then.