Pooping when scared?

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just rescued a dog and she doesn't understand you can't run full speed at a cat when you want to play. This morning the dog ran after my little girl and pinned her in the corner and was trying to lick her... My kitty was so scared she pooped on the floor, but it wasn't solid. After I called the dog away from her she started to run her face in her own poop. What is that about? Is she trying to detour the dog away with the smell? My other two cats are doing alright with the dog, but they have been in a dog household before. My little girl has never even seen a dog before.

We've been trying to keep the animals away from each other but the dog suffers from separation anxiety and can not be left alone or she freaks out and could hurt herself or others.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I don't have any experience with dogs...so I'm not a lot of help. However, when she had her face in her poo...are you sure she wasn't just smelling it? When ever my cats do their business (whether it be in the right place or not) they always smell it closely, before they cover it up...if they can. Obviously if it's on the floor they can't cover it but they still go through the motions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Hmm I don't have any experience with dogs...so I'm not a lot of help. However, when she had her face in her poo...are you sure she wasn't just smelling it? When ever my cats do their business (whether it be in the right place or not) they always smell it closely, before they cover it up...if they can. Obviously if it's on the floor they can't cover it but they still go through the motions.
She actually had it on the sides of her face. I had to wash it off of her.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. She must have just really been petrified.

I have heard of cats that poop when they are scared. I guess in the short term try to figure out a way to keep this kitty away from the dog, and/or give her some places up high to retreat...or small spaces where the dog can't get. Then I guess if I was in that situation I would consult a behaviorist or trainer for the dog. I hope you can get it worked out.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is responding with intense fear. The dog has done some damage as far as the two of them buddying up goes. However, this is still fixable with the right steps. First of all, the dog has to learn rules about the cats. She cannot run at the cats is rule #1. Rule #2: no barking at the cats. Once they're used to one another you can adjust this as you see fit. In the meantime it will serve to help everyone learn their footing.

For your cat who's afraid of the dog. Separate them when you don't have time to "work" on their relationship. If necessary for the dog, let your cat be the one to spend some time in another room. She'll probably prefer it to being cornered!

Once things have calmed down some put the cat in another room and bring your dog out. Let the dog have some time to bounce around and be a dog. Then, put your dog on a leash and have someone else bring your cat in the room. Just let them be there together but give them each something different to do keeping the dog on the leash for the whole time your cat is out. Feed your cat some tuna and give the dogs some treats of her own. Then separate them again. Keep this up for several days letting them get a bit closer and spend a bit more time together. Eventually, they'll begin to associate one another with happy things and will relax and hopefully be able to have a strong friendship.