Is my baby fat??!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, if you wonder if your kitty is fat, talk to your vet. It's hard to tell from a picture. Either way, not only is she adorable, but welcome to you both to TCS!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, she's adorable!
If she visited the vet recently, maybe you can call the vet and ask if they weighed her (they should have) and whether they thought she was overweight or not? Looks like she has some meat on her bones, but some cats appear fluffier than others, and I agree it's hard to make an accurate judgement from the pictures.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your baby is adorable! Looks like mine only mine is black/white, nine years old and weighs about 12.5 pounds. I do not want her to go over 12 pounds.

I don't leave out the kibble 24/7 like I used to, (she was gaining weight),
She just eats morn, noon, night. Some wet mixed with dry. Or sometimes dry in one dish and wet in another.

She is older, no need to be eating constantly-after all they say cats sleep 18-20 hours a day, why in the world would they need kibble out 24/7? Mine is an indoor cat so not much exercise on this end unless I am out chasing her down to give her a couple of kisses and bear hugs, then she gets some exercise.

DDCATS

"If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat."
Mark Twain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samson's momma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well her former owner said she loved to eat and he was right!! she sits, grooms a little [I don't think she can reach 'that' area] does a little trot, and she can be quick about it when she wants, but mostly just eats, and eats...

I don't want her to get bigger, but the uti purina pro plan says to keep it out so they can free feed, so I do. She is darling, but I want to to be around for a long time, she is only 2.5 years old.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just adopted her I would take her to the vet for a physical (always recommended when adopting) this way you can find out her weight, if she is overweight, obese, and what she needs to do to maintain health! I have a fat cat too... It is such a challenge but I think he is so adorable... Chubby and all!

This is my fat man all stretched out... You can notice he is tubby in the face! He is almost 16 pounds and the vet set his target weight to be 12! We do not over feed him and he is fed premium food, playful with the kitten, and healthy? Its a mystery but damn he is cuddly!

I would portion her free feeding and definitley not feed her Purina (by-products, corn, etc) my cat blew up on Purina! He has recently been on Nutro Natural Choice Weight Management and I just switched him to Wellness Healthy Weight! She is adorable tho I must say!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by samson's momma

I think she's adorable, I just adopted her fully vetted, but they don't list a weight. hmmm
if you want to know her weight, just hold her & get on the scales. then weigh yourself & subtract. that's how i weigh mine...

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats gain some weight in the shelters because they don't get much exercise, but I would get her checked by your vet, just to make sure she is well and healthy since you just adopted her.

She's a pretty girl!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by samson's momma

well her former owner said she loved to eat and he was right!! she sits, grooms a little [I don't think she can reach 'that' area] does a little trot, and she can be quick about it when she wants, but mostly just eats, and eats...

I don't want her to get bigger, but the uti purina pro plan says to keep it out so they can free feed, so I do. She is darling, but I want to to be around for a long time, she is only 2.5 years old.
Like the others said, it's hard to tell if she's at the right weight from the pic, but she is adorable!

I do understand the theory behind the instructions on the Purina bag, however I don't agree with them. One - the "experts" on feline urinary issues are on completely different sides of the fence on the free feeding vs. meal feeding issue. Some say that a constant minimal food intake (free style) maintains a proper urine pH and some say that 2 or 3 meals per day maintains a proper pH. I'll spare the further details on that for now, but my point is that the "experts" can't come to agreement on that issue. Personally, I used to free feed but I've come to appreciate the benefits of meal feeding.

The second reason I don't agree w/those Purina feeding instructions is that depending on the cat, free feeding can lead to obesity, which is very bad for urinary tract health. Some cats do self regulate their intake, so I'm not totally against free feeding but in those cases where they don't self regulate, I would suggest meal format, with a measured amount.

And finally, I don't really like Purina. There are some higher quality foods that don't cost an arm and a leg...I would suggest asking your vet if your cat has any special dietary needs (such as a urinary tract formula type food) ...and then research your options from there.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest that you look into feeding canned food. Not only is canned food all around better for kitties, but it doesn't have all the carbs dry food does...so kitties don't get so fat. Also, the moisture helps with UTI health.
There are some really good non-certified canned & dry foods out there.

Also....if she already really likes to eat...meals might be the best way to go, not free feeding. That way you can monitor how much she eats & either help her loose weight or maintain her weight.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL that was the point! I wish I could get my fatty to eat wet food but he won't touch it! Eventually the kitten is going to be on canned (I had her try it once nad she loved it) which will help with Tiger (fat cat's) weight issue! Tiger is always eating her dry food (I always stop him when I catch him) and that isn't helping the situation! I figure since he won't eat wet food (I've tried) if I give the kitten wet food he won't touch her dish and won't be getting more than his portioned amount! Are healthy weight and overweight formulas worth the trouble? They seem to have more disadvantage (no weight loss, still gains weight, etc).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Are healthy weight and overweight formulas worth the trouble? They seem to have more disadvantage (no weight loss, still gains weight, etc).
It really depends on the brand. For most, no, they can actually be worse because they're lower in fat and protein but higher in carbs. IMO you would see more improvement from portioning a quality food, adding wet to the diet, and encouraging your cat to play. Tiger may very well decide to eat some of the kitten's wet food if he's hungry enough and it's there.
Maybe you'll eventually find a type he'll like.

To the OP, it's hard to tell from those pictures if the cat is overweight. It's much easier to tell in person with your hands on the cat. Does your kitty have a noticeable pouch on her belly?
She does look solid though. An easy way to portion out food is to use a small plastic dry measuring cup, like a 1/4 cup, and use that to scoop food in the bowl. That way you know how much you're feeding. You can break that up into multiple meals a day so your kitty isn't going hours between meals if she's one of the compulsive snacking type cats.
My cat Sho is like that, he gets upset if he goes too long between meals.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

If you just adopted her I would take her to the vet for a physical (always recommended when adopting) this way you can find out her weight, if she is overweight, obese, and what she needs to do to maintain health! I have a fat cat too... It is such a challenge but I think he is so adorable... Chubby and all!

This is my fat man all stretched out... You can notice he is tubby in the face! He is almost 16 pounds and the vet set his target weight to be 12! We do not over feed him and he is fed premium food, playful with the kitten, and healthy? Its a mystery but damn he is cuddly!

I would portion her free feeding and definitley not feed her Purina (by-products, corn, etc) my cat blew up on Purina! He has recently been on Nutro Natural Choice Weight Management and I just switched him to Wellness Healthy Weight! She is adorable tho I must say!
trixie23,
your boy is oh so cute.

I was also interested in checking out Wellness Healthy Weight, how is it working out for you?
Are you seeing any weight loss?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God no Im not seeing any weight loss! He eats his food and then goes to the kitten food (which I stop him when I catch him doing that) I think he is eating almost all of her food too! Tiger has a cat food addiction (won't touch people food) and Im not sure what to do! I actually think he has gained more weight since I have put him on weight management formulas!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello
and a BIG welcome to TCS!!! Your baby is gorgeous!!

From what I've read on this forum I think that any "weight Loss" dry formula is actually worse than a regular premium dry food. I'm not an expert but I'm sure someone else will swoop in with the facts.

My Roxie is 12lbs which is a little overweight for her. We starting adding wet to her diet and stopped free feeding her. Right now she gets 1/2 can wet (1/4 in am another 1/4 in pm) and a 1/4 cup dry around lunch time. She is on Nutro Natural Choice Indoor and so far so good. She is slowly but surely starting to lose her bulge.

Of course, every cat is different so you should ask your vet if she is overweight or not. Either way I think you should try to incorporate some wet food into her diet.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww she is so tubby. I want to hug her and kiss her! She is adorable... and very well loved! They can be pudgy buddies!

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember sharky mentioning that her kitty lost a lot of weight on Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor Adult Cat.
That food has L-Carnitine. I am wondering if its that magic ingredient that will help your kitty to lose some pounds.

I am looking into Performatrin food which has even more L-Carnitine. I will let you know how it goes.

I think its time they start marketing kitty elliptical machines