Wisdom teeth surgery

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so I have the date set for April 26 to get all 4 removed, and yes, I am very scared~~

Please keep me in your prayers guys. I hate to even think about being put out and then to think I might get dry sockets!! Ouch'o!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be fine. No dry socket. Just don't smoke or drink out of a straw or suck on anything for that matter!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't put out so If I can do it awake you will survive being put out! It honestly isnt bad (there are worse things) remain calm and remind yourself this is worth it in the end! I wish you the best of luck and don't stress you will do just fine! Im glad you are getting all four, that's what I did! Get it all done at once and take a nice nap (don't forget to take a pain pill before passing out) after the procedure!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good luck!!! I had my 4 wisdom teeth out under general anaestesia a few years ago and when I came round, I felt awful BUT within a day I was back to my chirpy self. Hopefully, things will go fine for you.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 taken out also...but only 2 at a time. He let me have the use of one side of my mouth, for chewing, and then did the other side after about 2 weeks. But I'll tell ya...I was probably as nervous as you are right now...and all my fears and nerves were uncalled for...it was a breeze! I just closed my eyes and began to think happy thoughts and before I knew it...he was done! I never felt a thing! Recovery is pretty easy too...you'll be fine sweets! We're all pullin' for ya!

Much love...
Hilda>^..^<

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two pulled years ago. Don't be nervous! The pain meds will help you enjoy the recovery.
Not to scare you put when I got home I couldn't shut my mouth for a few hours. The muscles need time to relax. The next day DH & I went shopping and a clerk asked if Dh beats me up. He was kidding of course but I did have black/blue mark under my eyes.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only had two uppers pulled just with Novacaine several several yrs ago. It was very fast and no problems afterwards!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth in the summer of 2005. It was the worst pain I have ever endured in my life, but I am sure you will be fine.
I will keep you in my thoughts that day that everything goes well!
and like Brandy said, don't smoke if you do smoke or drink anything out of a straw. they give you meds to help with the pain but they made me sick so I had to stop taking them. If you throw up when you take the pills, stop taking them.
It is normal if they make you sick. good luck!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my 2 top ones removed in the dentists office. The top right one first then the following week the top left one. All he did was freeze the area and pulled it out like any other tooth extraction.

He didn't give me stitches for either of them and he left them to "pouch over", meaning to heal and fill in on their own, which they did. I didn't even have any pain or swelling after. As part of my routine tooth brushing I rinsed my mouth several times per day with warm salt water to facilitate healing and to make sure the holes were cleaned of food debri.

To me it seems extreme to have all 4 out at once. Why doesn't your dentist do one every week or two to give you time to heal up in between?

I don't know what a "dry socket" is. The only place I've heard that has been in threads here.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know what a "dry socket" is. The only place I've heard that has been in threads here.
you can get a "dry socket" if you smoke or sip through a straw while you're still recovering. It is basically an infection that isn't a good thing and very painful.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's my post wisdom teeth pics. And yes that's just swelling

And this is me "smiling" 5 days later!

Honestly - it was a horrible experience for me. I threw up, I hurt, I couldn't eat for days, my face got really bruised and swollen, but I know that's not "typical". There's definitely worse cases, but it's often not as bad as well - everyone's different.

Within a week though you'll feel heaps better, and while my experience was horrible, it was definitely worth it, and if I had to do it again I definitely would - only I would get better ice packs, and keep them on for longer.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I've never seen bruising to that effect! I have seen swelling and I know of dry sockets as well as infections, but I have never seen the effects you had! Poor thing, at least that is over with now... For good!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was funny - DH and I went out to the shops on the weekend after the surgery (so 5 days after surgery) when I was really bruised and swollen, and I was keeping my head down because I was embarrassed, and the looks people gave DH were so funny.

DH is the sweetest guy who wouldn't hurt a fly and people were GLARING at him! At shops, sales people were pulling me aside and saying "are you ok dear, and glaring at DH". It was so funny. We ended up cutting short the shopping trip because DH was sick of the looks he was getting.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is pretty funny! Most people would make that assumption, you were pretty bruised. I think the eye bruise would bring concern to people! I didn't have many problems with mine except I would always get food chunks stuck in the holes (where my teeth once were) and would try to get it out with a toothpick, which didnt feel so hot! The first night was hard for me because I had gaws packed into my mouth (to clot the blood instead of stitching my gums up) and since my uppers were impacted without being stitched (after the procedure) I bled alot and couldnt open my mouth wide enough to get the gaws out! My poor mom had to dig into my mouth to get them out and change them! I also forgot to take my Vic's after the procedure and I feel asleep for four hours and woke up in excruciating pain... After that the healing process wasn's so bad! The only bad part during the procedure was that they forgot to numb my upper (the impacted ones) wisdom teeth before making the first slice... They saw the look on my face, heard my wince and they shot my gums with the good stuff! I kept telling them I wasn't numb enough (so they would give me more) to make sure I wouldn't feel a thing!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surprisingly when mine were out it was fine, i had to be put under because they actually had to do surgery on mine because 3 out of the 2 were imbeded in my gums and never came thru the surface ! the other one was badly infected too, so a month of antiboitics then surgery! Everyone had warned me about it too, luckily i didnt swell very much and that night i was talking with a lot of stitches in my mouth
but it did take alot of pain pills for me, because of the surgery i had to get 2 scripts! Everyone was surprised i was up talking on the phone, i was on the computer lol! I didnt get no bruises or nothing luckily! SO my experience wasnt bad at all, the stitches sucked tho
But good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Here's my post wisdom teeth pics. And yes that's just swelling

And this is me "smiling" 5 days later!

Honestly - it was a horrible experience for me. I threw up, I hurt, I couldn't eat for days, my face got really bruised and swollen, but I know that's not "typical". There's definitely worse cases, but it's often not as bad as well - everyone's different.

Within a week though you'll feel heaps better, and while my experience was horrible, it was definitely worth it, and if I had to do it again I definitely would - only I would get better ice packs, and keep them on for longer.
Oh no!! That swelling looks horrible! You poor thing you. I hope to goodness mine turns out ok....

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Oh no!! That swelling looks horrible! You poor thing you. I hope to goodness mine turns out ok....
Just wanted to warn you what could happen. Nobody told me the bad stuff, everyone made out it was all pretty easy and I freaked out that mine had gone horribly wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Just wanted to warn you what could happen. Nobody told me the bad stuff, everyone made out it was all pretty easy and I freaked out that mine had gone horribly wrong.
Yeah thanks for that warning!! I know I will probly be one of the ones that has a bad outcome, knowing my luck!!