past cat owners back from the dead

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

Just over a year ago a cat showed up in our yard and took refuge in our shed and was STARVING extremly skinny touching him was like touching a ball of bones and fur no meat.

After I saw this cat I took it in and contacted the humane society and put "found" posters around here (INCLUDING THE LOCAL VET) let them know i found a cat etc..

OK so a year goes by and now the owner just happened to be walking by when i was outside with my cat. She recognized the cat knew exactly how he walked and called him over by his original name and he went!

After she just mentions "oh well looks like he has a good home" and walks off

She told me she was from the neibourhood and when I asked her why the cat showed up to me in terrible shape she replyied by saying "I don't know"

FOr the life of me I CANT Understand why the cat would show up in my yard in such horrible shape and after having a year access to the outdoors (HE never leaves our back deck) HE NEVER walked home even! I Just dont get it? WHy would he subject himself to such horrible starvation if he had a home?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why, because his owner neglected him and never fed him probably. He choose you to stay with.
Afterall you give him food and i'm sure he's happy now.

One of my cats was a stray, and she picked my house as the one she wanted to live at.

Me and another person on the block fed her and both wanted her when she was a stray. The other person fed her and kept her garage open for shelter. I fed her and let her in my house sometimes.

She stopped going to the other house and decided to live her with me, so I adopted her.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fergus picked my home 5 years ago. He only lived in the apartment that was 3 doors down from mine...except that his owner was a neglectful rotten specimen of humanity, and always threw Fergie out in the 20 degree wet weather, where part of his tail was bitten off by a feral, he'd go without food, and had ear mites that nearly caused deafness. Ferg was only 6 months old at the time, and literally came crying and scratching at my door at 4 a.m., soaking wet, bloody paw, etc. There was NO WAY I was returning him to this loser neighbor!!! He's been with me ever since.

I believe that it is downright WICKED and SHAMEFUL how some people neglect, starve, and basically deprive their "pets" of their basic physical needs...and if those needs aren't being met, you KNOW that they are unloved. Thank goodness for all of the wonderful animal lovers here on TCS who have worked so hard to provide above and beyond for their fur-kids...nutritionally, the best shelter, and all of the love and attention that our pets deserve.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like how we got Puppy. His owners lived 3 doors down. We talked with neighbors, notified the human society, put ads in the paper, etc.

We only found out because we had to take him to the vet to get his vaccines. The vet scanned him and found a microchip. The old owners picked him up from the vet. The next morning, they called and asked if we wanted the cat back. He had been wandering the neighborhood for MONTHS. They claimed he was stolen from their yard 6 months prior. Funny, cause he wandered around their house all the time during the 3 months he was eating at my parents home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thats the crazy thing at first i did not let this cat inside my house right away i locked him in the shed and fed him from there every day when I would open the shed door he would come out but he NEVER ran away most cats would HATE it and wanna go home but he stayed around I wonder if something terrible happened to him at his old place

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story sounds like my Mia...we just took her in 2 weeks ago...she had been living in our shed for at least 3 weeks and was extremely skinny (I think she has gained a little weight since we've brought her in)...and I know she used to have a home because she's so friendly and the vet said she has been spayed!

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that is terrible... it sounded like he was neglected and ran away... I'm glad he found you though

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m not saying this is what happened in your case but if a cat escapes or leaves it`s home because of some problem, e.g conflict with anouther cat, then it`s bound to get thin, pick up fleas, get in fights with other cats and just end up looking rough. It wont know where to get food so of course it will stay where someone is willing to feed it and it feels un-threatened.
It is not always the case that the owner has been neglectful or abusive.
Just had to point that out though I know there are many cruel and niave cat owners out there.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's like with Lexi. She just appeared one day out of no where. She was very friendly, too friendly to be a stray. Someone had to own her, but no collar and tags. My mom would leave a little food out for her, she was skin and bones and had an bad ear and oozing neck. Over the 2 months, she came more and more, each time from a different direction. We tried to take care of her as best we could. She would even be waiting for me outside on our swing in the backyard when I would go water the plants before going to work waiting for me to feed her. So I took her to shelter to get her fixed and checked out and adopted her. I wanted to keep the bond we had.

kerryv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Four of my five cats I have now have chosen to live with us. In fact, number 5 was rescued just last week and number 6 was trapped last night. We are not sure yet if number 6 is staying. Right now she is very scared and living in a small kennel in our garage. We have alot of work to do.

Moo was a kitten born to a stray in our back field. When she disappeared leaving behind Moo and his two siblings, we worked to get them tame. We caught one kitten and took her to the HS. Moo showed up on our porch with a bad eye infection, so we nursed him back to health and decided to keep him. The last kitten was hit by a car 1 or 2 days after we took in Moo.
He now has no desire to go outside. He knows when he's got it good.

Trip showed up in our back yard very skinny and unaltered. He was definitely owned by someone because he was so friendly. Even if we didn't want to keep him, he wasn't leaving. He lived on our front porch all of one summer until it started getting cold. He is now an inside kitty that gets to go outside every once in awhile under strict supervision.

Punky also just showed up in our back yard. She was in real good shape but really scared. It didn't take her long to come around to me, though. I am pretty sure that she was dumped because of how timid she is and the fact that she was spayed already.

Leo, the one we rescued last week, had been hanging around our house along with the one we trapped last night, for at least 2 months. We kept seeing tracks in the snow, but never any cat. Once we started putting food out, we would see them late evenings. Leo came to trust us quite fast, but the other one, we can't even look at her without her running away. She is now in a kennel in our garage and very scared. I just hope we can work to get her to come around.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!

Yeah, Kitty was living rough in the garden for 3 months and I couldn`t find his owners so he moved in and Maisie was 'dumped' on me 2 weeks ago.

I read in a book that cats that come to you don`t leave. You are their chosen one

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And Miew got out of her house at 6 mos old unaltered tiny little female tabby, hid in the drains for 3 whole days. The owners never ONCE went to call or put out food for her!!

I got a trap trapped her and brough her in. Fixed her, w/ intention of adopting, but hey, no such luck, she's still at my place, LOL.

she's firmly bonded to senior cat Diablo.
I don't know honestly what people think sometimes. And I'm caring for some ferals now too...

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I`m not saying this is what happened in your case but if a cat escapes or leaves it`s home because of some problem, e.g conflict with anouther cat, then it`s bound to get thin, pick up fleas, get in fights with other cats and just end up looking rough. It wont know where to get food so of course it will stay where someone is willing to feed it and it feels un-threatened.
It is not always the case that the owner has been neglectful or abusive.
Just had to point that out though I know there are many cruel and niave cat owners out there.
yes, must agree with jaffacake on this. cats get scared and they'll run and hide. sometimes they'll hide til they almost starve or die of dehydration. maybe this kitty got scared and was hiding out.
another option might be that your personalities just clicked. sometimes I think animals choose who to love. a good example is my Tigger. he always loves on me, but he is very picky about anybody else touching him, even my husband. it always has to be on Tigger's terms. My husband has never been mean to him, so I can just assume it's personality.
Honestly, I'm glad the previous owners let you keep her, cause she would have probably tried to come back to you anyway, and may have gotten hurt trying to do so.