stud cat help

michaela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a 6 month old persian girl and would like to breed from her when she is older. i would like to buy my own stud. i would like to hear from the members of the forum if they think this is a good idea. thanks

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WELCOME!!!!

Firstly, we assume that you have breeding rights for your persian baby?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First did you buy your cat with breeding rights and is she top quality to be bred. If you bought her as a pet and she's not show quality and is pet quality, then please spay her.

Most breeders will not offer stud service unless your cat is worthy. Also they will not sell a stud to someone that just may want to breed one time cause they have a purebred. And most do show their cats.

If you've never owned a stud, its a LOT of work. You cannot let him run around, he eventually will have to live in a large cage as he will spray. Also if you only have one female, and only breed her once a year, he will be frustrated. Most breeders have several females and one or two studs.

I would suggest you talk to some persian breeders and ask them if your cat is worthy of being bred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michaela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when i bought her i bought her to breed from she is show/breed quality. she is gorgeous. i first thought i would take her to a stud but have been told they sometimes stop calling. i would like to get more girls eventually. i have found a boy which is show / breed quality and is 20 months old . he does not spray at the moment. just need to get some opinions on which is the best option.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by michaela

when i bought her i bought her to breed from she is show/breed quality. she is gorgeous. i first thought i would take her to a stud but have been told they sometimes stop calling. i would like to get more girls eventually. i have found a boy which is show / breed quality and is 20 months old . he does not spray at the moment. just need to get some opinions on which is the best option.
I think your best bet would be to get a referral from the breeder you got your girl from. She should be able to help you find a good fit as far as bloodlines, health, type, temperament, etc. that will help you produce the best kittens. Is your breeder your mentor? If not, you should try to find one, as I'm sure you will have a million questions that need to be answered.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, unless you've studied pedigrees and really know your standard and the persians are tested, then you really should not just go out and buy a male cat.

I would try and show her, contact a breeder you can work with and let them breed her for a 1st time. Take your time and learn as much as you can before you just put 2 cats together. Just because they come from show lines, doesn't mean they are show themselves.

I would take her to a few shows and see what judges and other persian breeders have before I'd do anything with her.

Also can you post a few pics of your cat (head, body, front and side views). Some of us in here can advise you on the quality

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
also with a Persian, have you had her tested??? She should be PKD tested before even thinking about breeding. If she is PKD+, she should be spayed and definately not be breed.

Breeding is A LOT more then just putting a male and female together. Wish it was that easy.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

Did you buy her as a breeding queen? ie did the breeder you bought her from know from the outset that you were looking for a breeding queen? If you did and she's breeding quality (and is on the active register) the best way to get started is to take her to a stud rather than have your own. You may want to get your own stud eventually but here in the UK a lot of small breeders never have their own stud but just take their queens to a suitable stud. The breeder you bought your girl from should be able to advise you of a suitable stud, and indeed help you get started with your breeding programme. Do you also show your girl? That's a good way to find out how she matches up to the breed standard and also to get to know other breeders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michaela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i bought her has a breeding queen and she is on the active register. i will try and post some photos of her. how do i find out about the cat shows?
thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure in England, but if the person you bought her from shows (I'm assuming they do), they should help you out. I'll try to do a little checking on the web for you and find something

BTW Kinda cool you are from Cornwall - I bred and showed Cornish Rexes and Cornwall was the birthplace of the foundation cat, Kallibunker

This is who you should contact about showing/registering your cat - also lists cat shows.
http://www.gccfcats.org/

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ep,

You must have the website bookmarked
That's the one I just found, but I used the front page

Interesting website - I skimmed some of it. Was looking at the pictures of the breeds - their ocicat is a chocolate-silver one pictured

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michael,

Keep in mind after you post some pictures for us (head shot, body - side) and standing if possible) that you will accept some of our opinions on the quality. I'm usually pretty straightforward on evaluating the cats.

I've been showing cats for over 25 yrs and been a breeder for about 10-15 and have friends that show both long or short hair, I am pretty familiar with standards

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ep,

You must have the website bookmarked
That's the one I just found, but I used the front page

Interesting website - I skimmed some of it. Was looking at the pictures of the breeds - their ocicat is a chocolate-silver one pictured
I just happened to be looking at the June 2007 shows page to find details of the London Cat Club show so I already had it up in a different tab
I am going to meet up with Sonic's breeder there, Fawn OSH get championship status in June and she's taking along her beautiful fawn girl to hopefully rack up some points! We keep in regular contact and it will be good to see her again.

Am toying with the idea of putting Radar in HHP but judging by the crashes and bangs coming from the kitchen this morning I once again am feeling that he is not cut out to behave himself at a show. I just have this mental image of him wriggling free from the judge and heading straight for the best in show to wrestle him to the ground

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lmbo - Put him in - the judges need to be kept on their toes

Seriously, the judges would be fine in handling him. You can tell when you take the cat out how to handle them and how much freedom to allow. I was a HHP judge.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

lmbo - Put him in - the judges need to be kept on their toes

Seriously, the judges would be fine in handling him. You can tell when you take the cat out how to handle them and how much freedom to allow. I was a HHP judge.
That is, unless you have Duke and the judge asks YOU to take him out of the cage because he's terrified!
I doubt that will happen with Radar though. I'm sure Duke was picking up on my nervous vibes and he's never been that used to being around so many folks/cats at once.

GK gave me some good advice that I'm gonna try with my bengals and might also help with Radar. I'm going to start taking them to Petsmart with me. The one near us even has cats in the cages, so I'll walk them by there too.

Good luck! I hope you do show him, 'cause I'm sure he'd do fantastic (He's SO beautiful!)

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I am a persian breeder and I agree that most me included will not do studding out of my males.
And to breed your female she must be a good representation of the breed-you want to improve on the breed.
Also, none of my males spray and I have 3. It is possible to have a male that does not spray-you have to ask those questions to the breeders-it is not 100percent guaranteed but there is a high chance that if your male you are buying has it in the lines to not spray he won't spray either.
So, if you want to be a breeder it needs to be a serious thought-you must have a top show male-that has a great pedigree as his offspring you want to be the best-the female needs not to be pet quality.
I hope this helps-

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the male HAS to be outstanding with as many qualities for the breed standard. Many times I've heard about the male being better then the females - you can correct more faults in females with the right male. So unless your male is GRAND material, its not a wise thing to be using him.

Sometimes you have exceptions - like breeding him to a GRAND female to get top quality kittens. But I hold more weight with the right males. My females were carefully bred. I studied pedigrees to find the best combination. And because of this I had a much higher percentage of SHOW quality kittens born - only a few that truely were pet quality - tho most of the show quality kittens were never shown
Just became loved pets.

saynamore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Michaela
I'm Christine, from Lancashire, and I breed Persians. You can get a list of all shows for the year on the gccf website and find the ones nearest to your area. You can email the gccf for a particular show manager's contact details in order to send for a show schedule with an s.a.e. Send for it 2-3 months in advance as this is how far ahead the shows are planned.

Hope this helps if you require any further advice about breeding or showing, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Christine
Saynamore Persians