Cat sitting and feeding time

_-_trina_-_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister's cat is coming to visit me and my cat for two months. The two kitties get along really well, they're 2 (Sonny) and 3 (Lea) years old.

Lea has a medical problem and she has to eat wet food, or dry food with water added. Sonny eats dry food only and he scarfs it down. Needless to say he only gets 3 scoops a day so he doesn't get over weight. He loves Lea's food so much that he practically refuses to eat his own when she's around. This is bad for Lea's medical problem and bad for Sonny because he wont stop eating her food.

I've tried to keep them apart during feeding time, but that doesn't seem to help. Lea eats all through out the day and Sonny stuffs himself. I wouldn't mind feeding Sonny wet food too, but is it good to switch back and forth like that?

Any suggestions? Do share!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well food switches as a rule should be gradual as a fast switch can cause digestive upset. For my cats, in the past ...the main worry would be a drastic switch from one dry to another dry. I don't think I would have a problem going dry to wet to dry but I haven't ever really made that type of switch either. Some cats aren't bothered by it, it just depends.

Wet food is actually better for weight control than dry food is. Dry foods have more carbs in them, and those tend to add pounds to kitty. Cats utilize protein and fat much more efficiently than carbs. My Leopold is on an all wet diet now and is losing weight gradually. A dry diet was making him more and more chubby. A good quality canned food is very good for overall health...much better than dry IMO.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Well food switches as a rule should be gradual as a fast switch can cause digestive upset. For my cats, in the past ...the main worry would be a drastic switch from one dry to another dry. I don't think I would have a problem going dry to wet to dry but I haven't ever really made that type of switch either. Some cats aren't bothered by it, it just depends.

Wet food is actually better for weight control than dry food is. Dry foods have more carbs in them, and those tend to add pounds to kitty. Cats utilize protein and fat much more efficiently than carbs. My Leopold is on an all wet diet now and is losing weight gradually. A dry diet was making him more and more chubby. A good quality canned food is very good for overall health...much better than dry IMO.
I agree with wet food being a better diet and for the reasons above.