Playing??? Fighting???

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we added Clyde to our group a couple weeks ago. From what I can tell he's fitting in really quite well. The other cats seem kind of drawn to him. He and Smudge have taken to "wrestling" I guess you could call it. Smudge usually lies on his back and grabs Clyde around the neck. Sometimes they chase each other first. There are usually no growls or hisses, or even ears laid back. Tail swishing is about all. Oh, and when they chase each other, they run behind boxes and hide and stuff. So is this just playing? For some reason, the girls don't play like this, LOL!

Oh, Clyde is deaf, but I don't think that really matters for this purpose.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think its playing. Ducky and Kiko do this too ........ and its just play.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
idk my girls are the wrestlers here
between blue, stormie, and tessa and sometimes bella they are always wresteling
So it sounds like to me that urs are just playing

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that definitely sounds like play to me. my boys do that to.. it sounds like a herd of elephants rumbling upstairs...they love to rough house

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

So we added Clyde to our group a couple weeks ago. From what I can tell he's fitting in really quite well. The other cats seem kind of drawn to him. He and Smudge have taken to "wrestling" I guess you could call it. Smudge usually lies on his back and grabs Clyde around the neck. Sometimes they chase each other first. There are usually no growls or hisses, or even ears laid back. Tail swishing is about all. Oh, and when they chase each other, they run behind boxes and hide and stuff. So is this just playing? For some reason, the girls don't play like this, LOL!

Oh, Clyde is deaf, but I don't think that really matters for this purpose.
My two cats love to wrestle all the time but I assure you there is never any claws or teeth involved. But it looks like they are trying to kill each other. The funny thing is that either one of them is likely to start it. They can both just be laying on the floor when one of them will go "attack" the other one and off they go into one of their "loving" wrestling matches. I was very worried about this at first because when they first met, they did not like each other at all. But I watched extremely closely and determined that nobody was being hurt, that it was just a fun time for both of them!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch & Lily(girls) play like that all rough & tumble. Just wait til Clyde gets comfortable enough to race about the house...Twitch often runs head on into Lily when she is playing!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger kitty beats the crap out of Ferris all the time, LOL. He used to get the best of her but she's figured out how to best him now, and although he outweighs her, she usually wins.

They BOTH instigate it, and Ginger makes all kinds of hissing and "attack" noises. Ferris purrs throughout it.

Ahhh....love...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The latest is that Smudge TEARS through the house, even behind couches and up walls, and as he runs by, Clyde puts his paw out to try & catch him.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

The latest is that Smudge TEARS through the house, even behind couches and up walls, and as he runs by, Clyde puts his paw out to try & catch him.
I love the "race & grab"!
It is so cute...Liliy does that to me when I walk past...same with Twitch.