Siamese size

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What size should a full grown male Siamese cat be? (traditional, neutered at 6 months). I'm talking weight wise (in pounds please).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would depend on the parents - how big are they? If he's the old fashioned type figure about 8-9 lbs - if he more of the modern type, maybe 1-2 lbs less.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. I have a brother and sister from rather small parents. Bijou is 16 lbs and his sister Mika is 8. Bijou is extremely muscular and not really overweight. Mika on the other hand is very tiny and slim.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A male traditional Siamese can weigh anywhere from 8-10 pounds at 6 months, with an adult weight of 12-15 pounds not uncommon.

My George is now 10 months old and weighs just under 15 pounds, but he is a BIG boy. He's also a BIG mushbucket and is walking across my lap as I type this. *grin*

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Size varies... My moms Nikko was about 8lbs .. while my friends was nearly 20lb s both male

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Duke is 10.5 lbs at 10 months old.
How much more should he grow do you think? Radar is Cornish Rex/Siamese/DSH cross and is 7.5 lbs at 11 months old (I thought he must be heavier than that but I got the vet to weigh him at his last visit and I fear I have in the past on this site overestimated his weight
)

In response to the question it depends on a lot of factors, but the 'average' weight for a modern style siamese is quoted as being between 7-9 lbs, with males tending to be larger than females of course. I will try to get Sonic on the catering scale when I get home, he's oriental shorthair which is the same body-type as modern Siamese. I daren't guess at it because I'm clearly useless at judging weight.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spooky was a tall rex - at his prime he usually weighed about 7 lbs of muscle. Most orientals were about his size so I would guess he would go 7-8 lbs when grown - you want a nice tight body of muscle; not fat on a refined body.

A healthy refined body is NOT skinny. And they can pick up fat weight quickly and look like a barrel on legs

Radar will probably be about the size of Spooky - 7-8 lbs - I would do my best to keep him around that weight. You have rex and siamese which are more refined so he should take after them (from your pics).

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

How much more should he grow do you think? Radar is Cornish Rex/Siamese/DSH cross and is 7.5 lbs at 11 months old (I thought he must be heavier than that but I got the vet to weigh him at his last visit and I fear I have in the past on this site overestimated his weight
)
Actually, that was a guess on my part too.
I could be off. But Duke has gained steadily, one pound per month. I can tell just by looking at him and picking him up that he weighs more this month than he did last month. The last time we weighed him was at 8 months and he was 8.5 lbs.

Honestly, I have no idea when he will stop growing. The vast bulk of my 'knowledge' about cats comes from books, websites and forums. I'm a totally newbie when it comes to being owned by cats. Duke is my first cat, so all the hands on stuff, like how long til he stops growing, is a learn as I go thing.

For now I'll just say he's 'big boned'! LOL!

My bengals, I don't know how much they weigh. Their first vet visit will be this weekend. Ares is pretty heavy, but that boy is all muscles and fur! I think he is rather on the large size for a bengal. His sister is noticably smaller than he is, but both of them have long, lean bodies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually figure most cats are full grown in size/weight around 12-16 months old. Some breeds take longer....maine coons/ragdolls - they usually are in their prime at 3-4 YEARS old.

Charlie will probably go 12 lbs when full grown. He's 7 months old and a little over 8 lbs now - muscle tho. We get him to exercise up and over the couch and the kitty toys on the string (jumping). DH can get him to do a few 2 feet high jumps that way

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I usually figure most cats are full grown in size/weight around 12-16 months old. Some breeds take longer....maine coons/ragdolls - they usually are in their prime at 3-4 YEARS old.

Charlie will probably go 12 lbs when full grown. He's 7 months old and a little over 8 lbs now - muscle tho. We get him to exercise up and over the couch and the kitty toys on the string (jumping). DH can get him to do a few 2 feet high jumps that way
None of my kittes are jumpers, but I AM hoping they will like the excersize wheel I plan on getting sometime in May (Nial is a bad influence! LOL!)

They all run like they're on a race track! In fact, with my babies, Charlie, Radar, Sonic... We could be on to something here!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You haven't been around the Bengals long enough. They are jumpers like the ocicats
Didn't you see Nial's "flying" cat picture

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You haven't been around the Bengals long enough. They are jumpers like the ocicats
Didn't you see Nial's "flying" cat picture
LOL! True!
I guess I'll have to tempt them a little more. They do LOVE playing with their wand toys though. I think I'm going to make a few simple feather toys and see how they like it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Radar will probably be about the size of Spooky - 7-8 lbs - I would do my best to keep him around that weight. You have rex and siamese which are more refined so he should take after them (from your pics).
I would certainly want to keep any weight gain within good ratio to any further bone growth, he has a lovely slender yet muscular physique and I want to keep him that way. He's long-bodied and has nice muscle definition especially in his hindquarters, and he uses those muscles a lot! He can reach easily 5' vertically from a standing jump. His body type is on the refined side. I have promised a few people updated photos of both of them so must get onto that at the weekend!

Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Actually, that was a guess on my part too.
I could be off. But Duke has gained steadily, one pound per month. I can tell just by looking at him and picking him up that he weighs more this month than he did last month. The last time we weighed him was at 8 months and he was 8.5 lbs.

Honestly, I have no idea when he will stop growing. The vast bulk of my 'knowledge' about cats comes from books, websites and forums. I'm a totally newbie when it comes to being owned by cats. Duke is my first cat, so all the hands on stuff, like how long til he stops growing, is a learn as I go thing.

For now I'll just say he's 'big boned'! LOL!

My bengals, I don't know how much they weigh. Their first vet visit will be this weekend. Ares is pretty heavy, but that boy is all muscles and fur! I think he is rather on the large size for a bengal. His sister is noticably smaller than he is, but both of them have long, lean bodies.
He's definitely a lot larger than either of my two are going to end up! From photos I've seen it looks as though that weight is in good proportion though, he's lovely
I also thought that pic of him with Ares, that Ares looked to be not that much smaller than Duke at this point, so I think he will be a big lad when he is full grown, and probably very muscular. I love seeing their muscles ripple under their fur

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

He's definitely a lot larger than either of my two are going to end up! From photos I've seen it looks as though that weight is in good proportion though, he's lovely
I also thought that pic of him with Ares, that Ares looked to be not that much smaller than Duke at this point, so I think he will be a big lad when he is full grown, and probably very muscular. I love seeing their muscles ripple under their fur
Yeah, I think Dukes weight is in good proportion to his body too. His hind quarters are large, but you can see the muscle there. He also
has relatively long hair for a siamese (but then his moms hair was even longer) so it obscures his 'lines' a bit.

And yes, Ares is ALMOST as big as Duke already, and he's three months younger! (Ares and Dreamer are 7 months as of March 23rd)