Weight Loss Support for the Humans

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I know I mentioned this in one of the other threads awhile back and someone said they thought it was a good idea... so.. hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread by posting this one, but...

For anyone who would like to get on board the weight loss support thread.. join up! Feel free to post your trials, errors, weight lost so far.. recipes, failures, successes, next goal..

I'll go ahead and post my current state:

I joined WeightWatchers (program provided during working hours at my job)..

They state that I should lose about 100 pounds. Your first goal is supposed to be 10 percent of your total weight. So, my first goal is 25 pounds.

I really slacked off the first week. This is the first real day I've been keeping track of anything. The only thing I really did was drink the recommended amount of water that I was supposed to be drinking. That contributed to a 3.6 pound weight loss though, all water weight, I'm sure.

I'll post my starting weight.. you all don't have to do that.. I am just not at all embarrassed by it, as.. I figure I look like what I look like whether I'm 300 pounds or 150.. the actual number doesn't really matter to me. SO, on that note, I started at 258.8 pounds. I lost 3.6 pounds this week (cya, water bloat)... and I'm currently down to 255.2.

If anyone wants, I can start up a chart, and hopefully keep tallys. I'll do my best to keep everything up to date on it, so we have a "totals" to keep everyone motivated.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will join you! I have 18 pounds to lose to reach 124. That is what they recommend for my height and frame. And I was just informed that I have elevated cholesterol and low potassium so I have to do some thing now. I did WW for a while and lost some weight. But I am going to go to a mostly veggie diet.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the weightloss ban wagon myself. Actually, I am a mod on a woman's only weightloss forum. It's a small community right now, but that helps because everyone really supports eachother.

If anyone is interested, you can PM me and I'll post the site for yah to take a look at. http://whyweight.proboards84.com/index.cgi

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went to my second WW meeting today - I want to lose 80 pounds, both for health and self esteem reasons. I am following the points plan. My company reimburses me $50 for every 10 consecutive meetings that I attend.
I lost 5.6 lbs. this past week. Unfortunately, I actually weighed 5 lbs. more than I thought I did...1st I saw 5.6 lbs.
then I saw today's weight and I said"what is this?"
Then I looked at my weight from my first weigh in - 6 lbs. more than I had read lst week- a 6 is not a 1!
So, in my mind, I only lost .6 lbs.

Better luck next week!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also doing Weight Watchers. I have been for about a year and a half. (I started August 31, 2005.) I started at 269.4, and I'm down to 203.6. My goal is to get to 155, but I'd be happy with 160. The last half is proving to be much more difficult than the first half...at least in part because I'm finding it harder to stay focused. I could definitely use all the support I can get!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to try to just add one more "healthy" habit per week. Last week was the upping my water intake. This week, it'll be trying to watch points. We'll see, I suppose. This week is my second meeting.

Good for you, Phenomsmom! Veggies should help all the way around. Good luck!

Inb, the difference my be clothing.. or at that amount, even water weight. Actually, it could simply be the difference in the scales. Keep your chin up! As our meeting leader said.. just keep in mind that today is the last day you'll be the weight, no matter what it is. And, you still lost! .6 is almost a whole pound (it's over halfway!).

Tari, congrats on the 60 pounds to date! After that much success, I'm sure it's hard to slow down.
But, if you've done it this long, I have faith that you can keep up the good work even when it becomes trying at times. Chin up!

Hehe, I have to keep my chin up or I have two.
And *that* is one of the major reasons I want to lose weight. Go figure. Besides wanting to be fit again.. my double chin is my motivation, lol. I'm totally not self-concious, and half the time I don't even see myself as being overweight or fat.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'd like to participate, too. I've resisted the "group approach" for years, because of a meeting I attended once long ago. It was a twelve-step program for weight loss, and part of the ritual they used was requiring you to make the statement, "Abstinence from food is the most important thing in my life today."

Well, I couldn't say that then, at 20 pounds overweight, and I can't say it now, even at... heaven help me... 100 pounds overweight. The most important thing in my life today is the well-being of my loved ones, not whether I can wear spandex or not!

Having said that, however... I do want to live a good long time, and if I don't lose weight and get my diabetes under control, I won't. I'm already having chest pains, for heaven's sake. That scares me silly -- and with no insurance, I can't even afford to go find out how scared I should be.

So...I weigh 229 at the moment. In the past couple of weeks, my mom and I have cut 'way back on our visits to a certain Italian restaurant we were hitting three times a week -- and when we do go there, I've been getting salad and bread instead of Fettucine Alfredo. So that's a start.

I can't believe I told my weight. Will I really have the courage to hit "Post Reply?" Let's find out: three... two... one...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll join in - but i'm not ready to actually start 'weight watchers'. right now in my life i need to get my emotions under control and just trying to eat something! (i'm still sick)

I am 60 pounds overweight at 183. it sucks, i hate it, life should never get in the way but it DOES.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been a very bad girl this year and gained 8 pounds...I WAS at my ideal weight of 120, and then I stopped exercising and my appetite came back with avengence, and I got busy and was eating junk...ick! Not that I NEED to lose weight, but I don't want to hit the 10 mark, then the 15, thn the 20 and make my naughty habits into nasty, uncontrollable ones.

I just need to get myself in shape. I don't feel as good as I did when I was closely monitoring my diet and exercising 5 times a week. I'm not getting as good nutrition or sleeping as well
It'[s too bad having a good diet and exercising takes up so much time. THey tell us we need to eat well and exercise, but who has the extra 2 hours in a day to cook a meal and go for a jog?

TOmorrow morning, 4/5/07, I will wake up at 7AM and go for a 30 minute jog, do 50 crunches and stretch!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lost about 10lbs so far. I've been tracking my calories on www.sparkpeople.com although for the past week and a half I haven't done it, and haven't been eating AS well...better than I have been in the past, but not as well

I'm still about 20lbs away from my goal.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a thread I need to join in on too. I have gained about 20lbs since my wedding in July. My clothes barely fit. I have not been on a scale in about 2 months so I don't know my exact weight.

I have a goal of losing at least 15lbs in the next 3 months. My wedding photographer wants to do a trash the dress shoot with me this summer. I no longer fit into my dress.

http://trashthedress.wordpress.com/

My first goal is to get back into the gym at least 3 times a week starting next week. Will keep you posted.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have gained 30 pounds since school started 2, almost 3 years ago! I need to lose that weight, but I just hadn't been as focused on it as I should have been. I am going to start the gym tomorrow (hopefully!) and I have been trying to eat a little better. I need a little self esteem boost after my break up and I love when I am skinnier. I currently weigh 187 pounds, but I am 5'8" so my ideal weight is 165 (top part of the range). I want to get back to 155 (my mom thought that I looked sickly at that weight, but everyone else thought I looked good--including myself!). I try to emphasize the exercise portion of my weight loss plan because I seem to eat somewhat healthily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I know a few here have a smaller amount to lose, and some of us :cough: have a lot more to lose.. but the point here is to keep yourself (and hopefully everyone else here motivated).. so, while I'm sort of halfheartedly actually attempting the "weight watchers" method, mostly what I'm doing is simply going every week because getting on that scale and having one person know that I slacked off might be enough to get me to at least watch calories.

If each of us takes one step a week in the right direction, it's good for making the change, right? I'm hoping this theory works, anyway, cause.. I gotta lotta steps,
No matter how you look at it, how much you have to lose, it all takes motivation. Hopefully.. we'll be motivated since we're keeping a thread going about it.

Today, I did well. Tonight, I snacked on these dratted girl scout cookies. Only had three of them and I'm not even a cookie eater.. but.. I'm sure that was enough to toss my points off the board. Oh, well, tomorrow I'll do better. Speaking of which, I need to go drink another glass of water.

I so need to get back on the exercise track, but.. that's one of those future steps ... as I glance at the treadmill in the middle of my dining room that isn't even set up properly.. but, hey.. it's there in place of the table.. do I get to count that as a step?

Good luck everyone! And don't let yourself get discouraged!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get on here too. I started Weight Watchers at work, but I've had some problems, and got off track. First of all, I don't feel real supported by my co-workers - there is a competition for "biggest loser" and some try and sidetrack others. What's the point in that? Also, I kind of feel like my leader doesn't really care except if I pay my check. And I can't exercise either, and that's a big part of it.

Anyway, I got all depressed because of chronic pain and stopped going, but now I found out I get to get a new hip and I will be able to walk then so things are looking up. I've lost 9 pounds, but need to lose about 50 more, but that's eventually. I like the idea of adding healthy habits!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
losing weight is hard, and at time very hard. As many here may already know.
i busted my back, after i gained alot of weight iwnt up to well over 300, i needed to learn to change my eating my habits. Since working out like i used to was no longer a choice i really had to watch what i was eatting.

lol before i would eat a large pizza alone,i could do that before getting hurt, now i just have to live with 1 or 2 slices. now its water vs milk or coke.
i started swimming, Its taken over a year to get where i am now, i still have more to go, But you can do it, its not always easy, but u can do it.

oh i am 224 pounds as of this morning. only 24 more to go, i have lost about 150 pounds. I guess at 224 and 6 foot 3 that sounds normal, but i want to get back to 200.

just keep at it.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my goals is to eat just a little bit less. I have a tendency to eat things that are mostly healthy and well-balanced, I just eat them in large quantities. Sure, it'll take me longer to put on weight, but it'll still happen if I'm consuming more calories than I expend, whether I eat a Big Mac or a truck load of spinach.

Today, I had: 2 pieces of toast with vegan soy "butter" for breakfast. Lunch number 1 was a veggie burrito bowl at Chipotle...with white rice, black beans, peppers, onions, mild salsa, hot sauce , guacamole (I'm also going to have to get over my avocado addiction...too much of a good thing right now) and lettuce. Lunch 2 was a bowl of Tom Yam Vegetable Soup at the Thai place by school...basically hot and sour broth with steamed veggies (I know, I know, but you never turn down a luncheon with colleauges in my business) and dinner was Tuscan bean soup (canned tomatoes, water, boiled cabbage and white kidney beans) with bread and olive oil with grated cheese.

Not bad stuff, but it was A LOT of food. And I didn't even feel stuffed. That, to me, indicates a problem. When I was working out a lot, I wasn't as hungry. Which seems totally backwards! The only exercise I get now is walking to and from class and to the train to get where I work (and while running errands). I'd estimate 3-4 miles a day. There also isn't any cardio or strength or flexibility in there to balance low-impact walking. And my muscles have been ACHING lately, probably because I have't been active enough and have spent too much time sitting in a chair!

I tend to also forget about liquid calories. I try to only have tea and water, but I love tomato juice and V8 which aren't cola or anything, but they have a lot of sodium and stil DO contain calories. And I drink A LOT of veggie juice.

Diabetes and heart disease, as well as obesity, are rampant in my family. Hence me making a big deal out of 8 pounds at age 21. I just don't want to go down that path, you know?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kluchetta raised a good point -- for various reasons, some of us have a hard time getting exercise. In my case, I'm just afraid to, afraid it might trigger a heart attack... so I'm not willing to exercise very much until I get insured and checked out properly by a doctor.

But I know that the Pilates method of exercise was designed for people who have physical limitations, and I've often wondered whether it might be a safe option. Has anyone ever done Pilates?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Kluchetta raised a good point -- for various reasons, some of us have a hard time getting exercise. In my case, I'm just afraid to, afraid it might trigger a heart attack... so I'm not willing to exercise very much until I get insured and checked out properly by a doctor.

But I know that the Pilates method of exercise was designed for people who have physical limitations, and I've often wondered whether it might be a safe option. Has anyone ever done Pilates?
I've done Pilates...you may actually want to try something lower impact, like yoga. Yoga is great because it increses circulation, helps flexibility (which will pave the way for future higher-impact workouts) and helps your breathing which will REALLY come in handy when you can get walking or biking or swimming or whatever. Pilates would be a next logical step AFTER yoga, when you're a little more nimble and used to holding poses. It's easier to ijure oneself just rushing in with Pilates...I'd suggest building up some flexibility and muscle control with yoga before moving on to Pilates

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
carol, then just do stuff sitting down, very low weights, if there is gym near you with pool, join a low impact group that is done in the water. i was the only young person there, or middle aged i should say. but who cares i was there for myself.

maybe that would work for you, the important part is to get your body moving a little at first

tjwharton24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey all,

i have been on SBD(South Beach Diet) since jan 24, 2007 I have lost 17 pounds. I also put my husband on it as well.He started march 12th. he has lost 12 pounds. I love it. the first 2 weeks sucked butt but i got through it. Now it's a walk in the park. I just got used to eating healthier. I eat whole grains, fruit,veggies, salad,and protein I still drink milk i eat chocochip cookies peanut Butter and jellie. I just look at labels. I was 145 at 5'4 now 126. i went from a size 12 to a size 8. http://www.southbeachdiet.com So i still have 11 pounds to go. And alot of azz toning thanks to my 4 kids

Jenn